FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer and theyll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- All others: Customer Care or email [email protected].

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:13 pm

Programs: United 1K Member
Originally Posted by uyflyer
Dear All

Has UA compensation gotten ridiculously low? UA 3, ORD-ZRH April 22, High J 763, Polaris cabin,. 1 1/2 hrs into the flight, all the cabin electronics (seat controls, IFE, power outlets) shut down for the entire flight (for the entire airplane). Of course without electronics it was impossible to recline the seat into a bed, or if already reclined, to put it upright..In fact, 1hr prior to landing FA's went around the cabin waking people up so they could stand in the aisle while the FAs manually put seats upright.. They made a big show of apologizing and told everyone to go to the United (does not)cares website to request compensation.
I did, and was offered $50 ETC or 2500 miles Given how much UA charges for Polaris ORD-ZRH and the fact that the only reason to fly UA instead of LX is the seat, this seems shall we say a bit too low?
(in fact borderline insulting).. or am I totally uncalibrated? (It's been a while since I requested compensation, but not so long ago, it was ~ 300 ETC for malfunctioning IFEs, in shorter flights, right?)

Safe travels
I wish you the best of luck in getting more. That is just not ok
Old Apr 24, 2024, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I remember the days for a $150 ETC if the Wi-Fi malfunction for part of the flight
Old May 7, 2024, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I guess I might ask, has UA compensation gotten ridiculously HIGH?

DEN-LAS last week, economy, I purchased E+ (these days I'm just a GM). At checkin roughly 24 hours before, the app pitched changing to a later flight for unknown compensation; I declined, thinking "maybe if it was an earlier flight..."

Indeed, I arrived about 3 hours early to the airport. As I was nearing security, my phone lit up with a call from United. Color me impressed. The agent, over the phone, asked if I would be willing to take a later OR earlier flight for $400 ETC. "Hey, I'm here early, what do you have? As long as we can preserve E+, I can certainly do it."

Within two minutes I was switched over to an earlier flight, E+ preserved, and the ETC arrived by email before I got to the gate. And then, a few minutes later... a credit back to my Amex for the $59 E+ charge!

So, $459 back to me to change my $250 flight. Color me very impressed.
SPN Lifer, wpcoe, rflor and 1 others like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I guess I might ask, has UA compensation gotten ridiculously HIGH?
VDB compensation is a different animal. $400 isn't particularly high these days for a bump. Being able to switch to an earlier flight is an unusual score though.
SPN Lifer and Flying Machine like this.
Old May 17, 2024, 6:41 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Not enough of the Japanese meal appetizers loaded yesterday, and we were toward the back of J, so the FAs didn't realize until they got to us that they were down to 1. They offered my wife $250 or IIRC 10k RDM; she was going to decline, and I nudged her and said, "Take the voucher, because we'll use it to pay for your flights to Denver this October." My wife had wanted the regular appetizer anyway, so it was win-win.
SPN Lifer and rflor like this.
Old May 17, 2024, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I was given a $100 ecertificate a few days ago on a flight from SIN. I was in an empty row and mentioned during the breakfast that I was using the middle tray, because mine was stuck. I thought it was just a comment to kill time while the FA poured three cups of coffee for me. I was surprised when she came back ten minutes later with her Tricorder and offered me miles or money.
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old May 19, 2024, 6:16 pm

I could please use some guidance after an international business class trip where everything went wrong. I am Gold, almost Platinum, FWIW.

1) My refund request for an involuntary downgrade for getting rebooked 24 hours later after a cancelation (C to Y EWR-JNB) was "approved" for less than half of my documented calculation, a $3,000 difference (not even including my downgrade on my domestic segment home after another missed connection). I figured from reading on here they would use creative math, but as of now I paid well in excess of what a bunch of last minute one-way flights would have cost for the itinerary/class they ended up providing. What would be the best channel/approach to hopefully get a more equitable refund?

2) On a 5-day trip with three 3-hour mechanical/staff delays plus a 24-hour delay, 2 downgrades when my fair class was for sale, denied lounge access after class downgrade, no hotel provided, etc., i.e., when numerous failures could each be their own customer complaint, is it better to split those up, or present them together? Phone lines versus chat? Which phone line, if so? Or does everything just have to go to CustomerCare email/form with (futile) fingers crossed? For what it's worth, flight attendants on multiple segments directed all of us to UnitedCares, but unsurprisingly that site says the flights aren't eligible.

Any words of wisdom to minimize frustration chasing this would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.
Old May 19, 2024, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by knicknut
I could please use some guidance after an international business class trip where everything went wrong. I am Gold, almost Platinum, FWIW.

1) My refund request for an involuntary downgrade for getting rebooked 24 hours later after a cancelation (C to Y EWR-JNB) was "approved" for less than half of my documented calculation, a $3,000 difference (not even including my downgrade on my domestic segment home after another missed connection). I figured from reading on here they would use creative math, but as of now I paid well in excess of what a bunch of last minute one-way flights would have cost for the itinerary/class they ended up providing. What would be the best channel/approach to hopefully get a more equitable refund?

2) On a 5-day trip with three 3-hour mechanical/staff delays plus a 24-hour delay, 2 downgrades when my fair class was for sale, denied lounge access after class downgrade, no hotel provided, etc., i.e., when numerous failures could each be their own customer complaint, is it better to split those up, or present them together? Phone lines versus chat? Which phone line, if so? Or does everything just have to go to CustomerCare email/form with (futile) fingers crossed? For what it's worth, flight attendants on multiple segments directed all of us to UnitedCares, but unsurprisingly that site says the flights aren't eligible.

Any words of wisdom to minimize frustration chasing this would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.
My instinct would be to itemize write-ins to CustomerCare (or 1Kvoice if applicable) for each service failure you enumerated though I have never personally experienced this magnitude.
knicknut likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
My instinct would be to itemize write-ins to CustomerCare (or 1Kvoice if applicable) for each service failure you enumerated though I have never personally experienced this magnitude.
Thank you. Does anyone have advice on the incorrect refund? I got a follow up asking how my case was handled, but I think that goes to a survey team and I am not going to get any additional assistance from it, and I still can't find the team to direct the inquiry to most effectively. (Also, any more opinions on how to best present the litany of issues would be much appreciated.)
Old Jun 2, 2024, 5:00 pm

Adults given proactive ETC, but kids skipped?

I recently had a 6+ hour delay, and my wife and I received ETCs automatically as compensation. I had assumed our kids did too, but when I booked a trip recently discovered they did not receive anything in their accounts. To United's credit they quickly remedied it, but I was surprised - anyone else encounter this? What's the justification? (the kids ticket prices were identical to ours)
Old Jun 7, 2024, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Sister and brother-in-law booked revenue J tonight EWR-AMS. He has a bad back, and for all intents and purposes does need Polaris to make it over the pond. Anyway.....UA cannot book them in business class for several days- connections or not. As such, they're junking their first stop in AMS and heading instead directly to Athens for the second part. They'll simply get there a few days earlier than anticipated. UA booked them into Athens in business, through Toronto.

Do they have any kick to request compensation? They asked a general agent after an hour wait, and were told no. If it's relevant at all, they were able to cancel their accomodations without penalty (though did have a few tour expenses that are non-refundable).
Old Jun 7, 2024, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gold23
Do they have any kick to request compensation? They asked a general agent after an hour wait, and were told no. If it's relevant at all, they were able to cancel their accomodations without penalty (though did have a few tour expenses that are non-refundable).
What was the cause of the IRROPS that created the situation / rebooking?

Any expenses would be irrelevant -- UA may or may not make a customer service gesture (think, travel credit). They disclaim liability for indirect damages.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
What was the cause of the IRROPS that created the situation / rebooking?

Any expenses would be irrelevant -- UA may or may not make a customer service gesture (think, travel credit). They disclaim liability for indirect damages.
Technical issue forced UA to take the aircraft out of service, at least according to the flight status page. Occurred hours in advance, so they didn't even leave for airport. There were AC flights with business availability, but they said they couldn't book those except for the flight to Athens they did book them on after they exhausted the AMS options.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 5:30 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Platinum customer flying paid J SFO-AMS with a seven hour delay due to MX and crew timeout. $350 travel cert.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gold23
Technical issue forced UA to take the aircraft out of service, at least according to the flight status page. Occurred hours in advance, so they didn't even leave for airport. There were AC flights with business availability, but they said they couldn't book those except for the flight to Athens they did book them on after they exhausted the AMS options.
It's worth asking about, but they should keep their expectations low.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.