Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swaps from True Polaris to 772HD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:09 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
UA does not promise Polaris seating or whatever you want to call it in their advertisement or when you book the ticket. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-services.html. In fact, when you book on the website, Business/First shows Extra Spacious Seat only.

Lie flat seat with 6 ft of sleeping surface? Check
On demand entertainment with 15 inch screen? Check
Bedding from Saks Fifth Ave? Check
Noise canceling headphone? Check
Premium amenity kit? Check

Sometimes you may get a better product than what is advertised, sometimes you get the same product. UA also does not charge more for seats with the new product vs the older products. Should UA be penalized for trying to offer a better product at the same price? It's how airlines operate, they cannot guarantee specific aircraft per route by having spare planes on standby just in case something happens. Would you rather they cancel the flight vs offering the baseline product that was advertised?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Correct, but since UA generally charges more for a F seat SFO-EWR flight on a 757/767/777/787 airframe than on a 737 F seat on the same route, I'd better be getting some compensation if I pay for a lie flat and end up in a recliner.
UA flies no 737's on that route. But if they did I would avoid taking it if the price was the same.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by colpuck
There was a song can't remember the title, but there was a line..."bet you think this song is about you" which kind of sums up OP's experience…..
“You’re So Vain” - Carly Simon (w/ Mick Jagger on backing vocal).
SPN Lifer and tcdtcd like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
I am personally back on the guard for buying a ticket where there is a chance for a swap on 777s to the 777HD.

This review perfectly sums up my opinion of those first/business class seats: https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/uni...usiness-class/

Quoting the summary: "If you can, avoid this aircraft in business class. The hard product is so outdated compared to the other fully flat business-class products United (and other domestic carriers) fly."
Buster CT1K likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MysteryTour
I am personally back on the guard for buying a ticket where there is a chance for a swap on 777s to the 777HD.

This review perfectly sums up my opinion of those first/business class seats: https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/uni...usiness-class/

Quoting the summary: "If you can, avoid this aircraft in business class. The hard product is so outdated compared to the other fully flat business-class products United (and other domestic carriers) fly."
Perhaps true for a single flyer, but many here have disagreed with that assessment, especially if not a single passenger flyer. Hence UA's tendency to use on Hawaii routes.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
The IPTE configuration is still the most comfortable business class bed I've ever slept in. While I have a slight preference for the new Polaris because of the enhanced privacy, it doesn't hurt my feelings at all to end up in IPTE.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No that is not true, the type of aircraft used is not a factor in fares. .
That's funny. The last time I looked at SFO-EWR (before the PW 777's were back in the mix), I distinctly recall seeing a premium attached to the nonstops that featured lie-flats. I should have saved a screen shot.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's funny. The last time I looked at SFO-EWR (before the PW 777's were back in the mix), I distinctly recall seeing a premium attached to the nonstops that featured lie-flats. I should have saved a screen shot.
UA does not use aircraft type in its fares.

However, it is not uncommon for nonstop flights to carry a premium due to inventory restrictions. Also, UA does sometimes issue fares that either require or forbid nonstop travel. They also forbid connecting via an EWR-SFO/LAX flight on most premium cabin fares, so you can't route, e.g., DCA-EWR-LAX on a WAS-LAX P fare.

In markets where there are a mix of scheduled recliners and lie-flats, occasionally the lie-flats will command a premium -- but, again, it's due to inventory, either because people preferentially select the lie-flats or because UA knows that they will and zeroes out the discount buckets.

All of that is true, but none of it means that UA charges more based on the aircraft type, because they do not.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:07 am

Correct, but since UA generally charges more for a F seat SFO-EWR flight on a 757/767/777/787 airframe than on a 737 F seat on the same route, I'd better be getting some compensation if I pay for a lie flat and end up in a recliner.
I believe they do offer compensation if this happens (as someone else indicated up thread). Even if they don't necessarily give compensation, they do allow you to change your flight to any different timed one on the same route with a lay flat that has availability +/- 7 days from original scheduled date of departure.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
However, it is not uncommon for nonstop flights to carry a premium due to inventory restrictions. Also, UA does sometimes issue fares that either require or forbid nonstop travel. They also forbid connecting via an EWR-SFO/LAX flight on most premium cabin fares, so you can't route, e.g., DCA-EWR-LAX on a WAS-LAX P fare..
Back before the PW 777's returned to service, I was looking at nonstop only SFO-EWR flights for September 2022, and I distinctly remember seeing a first class fare difference between flights on aircraft with lie flats and those without lie-flats. I understand that this difference could have been based on other factors, but it sure looked like UA was charging a premium for a better seat. Which, by the way, I'd expect them to.

Lesson learned, however - next time I see this, I'll take a screen shot.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:44 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Back before the PW 777's returned to service, I was looking at nonstop only SFO-EWR flights for September 2022, and I distinctly remember seeing a first class fare difference between flights on aircraft with lie flats and those without lie-flats. I understand that this difference could have been based on other factors, but it sure looked like UA was charging a premium for a better seat. Which, by the way, I'd expect them to.

Lesson learned, however - next time I see this, I'll take a screen shot.
Only lie-flat business seats are offered on the route - be it 757,767, 777, or 787... so not sure what you were looking at. There is no SFO-EWR service without lie-flats.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 3:14 am

Never mind.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 5:18 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Id love to see some evidence on fare filings for that. At least on Hawaii routes the fares are exactly the same.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Id love to see some evidence on fare filings for that. At least on Hawaii routes the fares are exactly the same.
UA could by restricting available fare inventory based on individual flights. Probably for Hawaii as it is a leisure market they don't really bother.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by colpuck
UA could by restricting available fare inventory based on individual flights. Probably for Hawaii as it is a leisure market they don't really bother.
Id love to see some proof of that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.