Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swaps from True Polaris to 772HD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
+1 on this. While of course the new Polaris seats are overall superior to the older lie flat seats, especially in terms of privacy and personal space, the padding on the older seats is softer and better for sleeping in my opinion.
I also sleep better in the older seats for the padding but also because they are like a coffin and once lying down you really don't hear much cabin noise. For longer flights (10+ hours), the Polaris seats are far better IMO, but for a transcon I would be happy with the old seat. In fact, I recently booked a IAD-LAX flight precisely because the a/c was switched to the HD with older seats. I had many a good flight in those seats (I especially liked the rear-facing seats because I found the head was positioned better for sleeping) and for nostalgia sake am happy to get another chance to fly them!
tuolumne likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: Hh Diamond. Marriott Plat. ES, Gold Circle
Thank you for all the helpful info and replies. I am digging thru other threads related to what happens if I don't get a seat tomorrow or am downgraded to a lower class. It seems unlikely that I will. I was presented with the bidding options. I don't want to hijack or tangent this thread. Now the game is getting home and not overpaying for my path there. Thanks for the posts.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Atxtrav
This is beyond disappointing. The 2-4-2 stink. If I wanted premium economy I would have booked it!
I like the "1-2-1" configuration myself, although my favorite is the rapidly disappearing 2-2-2 config. That said, there's slightly less room per seat in the "1-2-1" config than the 2-4-2. The added privacy comes at a cost. Airlines market it as 1-2-1 to give the illusion that it's four-across, but it's not; the rows overlap. And, as mentioned, for groups > 2, the 2-4-2 config may actually be a significant improvement, assuming you can get seats together.

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
You're on an international flight that was sold as Polaris, you can absolutely request a reroute or change to a flight with the Polaris cabin departing +/- 7 days without any fare difference (as long as the routing is valid for the fare rules), or write in to get compensation for this change. What you're experiencing is far different than what this topic was originally about where the change was from the Polaris cabin to IPTE seats on a domestic business/premium transcontinental routes which does not guarantee the Polaris cabin.
Sorry, no. I mean, you can ask. But UA has no additional obligations on an international flight just because it is marketed as Polaris. In the CoC, they mention a change of seating configuration as being IRROPS, snd I personally would consider this a change of seating configuration. UA hasn't always had that same POV. There's no "compensation" due for this change; it's not a downgrade. UA may give a voucher as a customer service gesture.

Additionally, this wasn't something done weeks ago. The plane was equipment swapped ~6 hours ago, so while you first noticed the change during check in, it was an operational swap to make sure the flight still operated, as opposed to some advanced change to intentionally downgrade the Polaris cabin.
Agreed.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:42 am

I am digging thru other threads related to what happens if I don't get a seat tomorrow or am downgraded to a lower class. It seems unlikely that I will. I was presented with the bidding options.
So it is unlikely you "won't get a seat", you hold a confirmed booking for your cabin still even without the seat being assigned. Just the cabin is massively oversold due to the decrease in the # of J seats with the equipment swap, which is why you're being given the option to bid (along with everyone else in that cabin) as UA tries to voluntarily move people either back to Y or to a later flight. Given this is a J oversale on an international itinerary, these offers can go for a substantially higher amount, and given the likely size of this oversale, it would not be surprising if UA has staff working this flight in advance trying to move people/provide compensation before the oversale ever goes to the airport.

Since you are departing FCO, it wouldn't hurt to lookup EU261 regulations to familiarize yourself with what you will be entitled to, if they can't provide a J seat despite going through the oversale process. There is a specific section on downgrade compensation they are required to provide under the regulation.

Now the game is getting home and not overpaying for my path there.
You shouldn't need to pay anything, as long as your seat is confirmed (this is different than having an actual seat assignment, you can be confirmed but not have a specific seat assigned). If they delay your return because of this, they have a duty to care under EU261 for whatever length of delay that is. Additionally, since your cabin isn't Polaris hard product due to the equipment swap, you can be rerouted voluntarily with no additional charge on any routing that is valid for your fare to regain a Polaris flight (or be moved to a different day/time within 7 days) as long as there is space available on those flights to confirm you. As has been pointed out, not entirely sure on the UA 3040/3039 as these are recovery flights, but other UA885 flights in the coming days are options, or if you still are set on 6/21 travel, could also look at routing through MUC/FRA. A couple itineraries that might be worth asking about (though I haven't checked availability on these)

FCO UA 8805 FRA 0655-0855 X/ UA 8832 IAD 1030-1335 [this would be LH operated so wouldn't be Polaris]
FCO UA 8801 FRA 1005-1200 X/ UA 988 IAD 1220-1510
FCO UA 8801 FRA 1005-1200 X/ UA 8827 IAD 1310-1600 [this would be LH operated so wouldn't be Polaris]
FCO UA 8886 MUC 0805-0935 X/ UA 107 IAD 1220-1525

Originally Posted by jsloan
Sorry, no. I mean, you can ask. But UA has no additional obligations on an international flight just because it is marketed as Polaris. In the CoC, they mention a change of seating configuration as being IRROPS, snd I personally would consider this a change of seating configuration. UA hasn't always had that same POV. There's no "compensation" due for this change; it's not a downgrade. UA may give a voucher as a customer service gesture.
United has a Polaris policy specific for "United Polaris Aircraft Swap" that details exactly what they would offer in this situation, what a passenger is allowed to do, and what they are entitled to if they are dissatisfied with the equipment swap. As far as I'm aware its not published on their website, but you can ask any of the reservations or airport agents to look it up in their policy manual under those exact words and they can read off to you exactly what the options are for this situation.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Jun 20, 2022 at 9:47 am
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Additionally, this wasn't something done weeks ago. The plane was equipment swapped ~6 hours ago, so while you first noticed the change during check in, it was an operational swap to make sure the flight still operated, as opposed to some advanced change to intentionally downgrade the Polaris cabin.
the OP says this is FCO-IAD. Which means somebody decided to send a domestic configuration from a UA hub to FCO on EWR/IAD-FCO. This is the mistake. Cancel the EB if need be. Or just crapshoot everything everywhere which is what COdbaUA has reverted to, which is ridiculous.

Well when your options are cancel the flight or substitute in the domestic oriented plane, I know what I would prefer, what the airline would prefer, and what the majority of passengers who planned to have the flight operate would prefer..
Virtually all passengers want better food and lower cost too. The mistake was made the previous day - a policy mistake that implements to send just anything to just anywhere.

As to the passenger issue, is there any EU claim that could be initiated?

Edit: EU261 answered above thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
As to the passenger issue, is there any EU claim that could be initiated?
EC.261 is exactly why they sent the domestic plane in the first place. Better to irritate people with a different configuration than to cancel outright.

If OP is accommodated in J, no compensation will be due. "They changed the layout of the J cabin" is not covered under the EC.261 rules.

If OP ends up in Y, a 75% refund will be due.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
EC.261 is exactly why they sent the domestic plane in the first place. Better to irritate people with a different configuration than to cancel outright.

If OP is accommodated in J, no compensation will be due. "They changed the layout of the J cabin" is not covered under the EC.261 rules.

If OP ends up in Y, a 75% refund will be due.
What about Premium Plus ticketed customers?

And the domestic plane was sent from the US. It wasn’t swapped in FCO. 45 days ago these frames were all grounded, now they’re sending these domestic frames to Europe? What next, Japan?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same deal; 75% refund if they fly in Y. I suspect UA will try to move people through FRA/MUC/etc. if possible.

And the domestic plane was sent from the US. It wasn’t swapped in FCO. 45 days ago these frames were all grounded, now they’re sending these domestic frames to Europe? What next, Japan?
Again, if they'd canceled the flight, EC.261 would have kicked in for everyone. This was presumably the least-bad option.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You're on an international flight that was sold as Polaris, you can absolutely request a reroute or change to a flight with the Polaris cabin….
Please show where UA defines a “Polaris cabin”. UA uses a variety of planes internationally, and not all have all the direct-aisle-access “genuine” Polaris pods. You’re confusing marketing with hardware. UA can fly the 777HD, supply the Polaris soft product and market it as Polaris, which is exactly what they are doing. Instead of a pre-conversion 767 (for example) , it’s a 77HD. Both are lie-flat birds, both would have Polaris soft products. Are you saying everyone’s who’s booked an unconverted 767 is being lied to when they buy Polaris?

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 20, 2022 at 11:46 pm Reason: speling
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Please show where UA defines a “Polaris cabin”. UA uses a variety of planes internationally, and not all have all the direct-aisle-access “genuine” Polaris pods. You’re confusing marketing with hardware. UA can fly the 777HD, supply the Polaris rift product and market it as Polaris, which is exactly what they are doing. Instead of a pre-conversion 767 (for example) , it’s a 77HD. Both are lie-flat birds, both would have Polaris soft products. Are you saying everyone’s who’s booked an unconverted 767 is being lied to when they buy Polaris?
These days everyone is being lied to when they buy Polaris, based on the soft product.

Keep in mind they are absolutely shafting Prem Plus customers.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by lotemblizej
I also sleep better in the older seats for the padding but also because they are like a coffin and once lying down you really don't hear much cabin noise. For longer flights (10+ hours), the Polaris seats are far better IMO, but for a transcon I would be happy with the old seat. In fact, I recently booked a IAD-LAX flight precisely because the a/c was switched to the HD with older seats. I had many a good flight in those seats (I especially liked the rear-facing seats because I found the head was positioned better for sleeping) and for nostalgia sake am happy to get another chance to fly them!
Same. Nostalgic about landing and watching the wing while facing rearwards. It's just plain cool. Forgot how comfortable the seats are too.

Did 1L SFO-ORD and frankly had nothing to complain about - Made a new connection because of the IPTE seats that I wouldn't have made otherwise. Also I had 5 window shades to myself...no Polaris seat offers that...
Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by tuolumne
Same. Nostalgic about landing and watching the wing while facing rearwards. It's just plain cool. Forgot how comfortable the seats are too.

Did 1L SFO-ORD and frankly had nothing to complain about - Made a new connection because of the IPTE seats that I wouldn't have made otherwise. Also I had 5 window shades to myself...no Polaris seat offers that...
I just wish the 777s with IPTE would have 2x the number of IPTE seats installed on them. And keep them domestic
tuolumne likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
....Keep in mind they are absolutely shafting Prem Plus customers.
100% - Passengers who were booked into PP on PremiumPlus- equipped a/c and who are now in E+ are the ones really not getting what they paid for. Someone who's going from a lie-flat w/ Polaris soft product to another lie-flat with Polaris soft product is not suffering as much as someone going from PP (with associated PP amenities) to an E+ seat. Those people will not be getting PP space or meals. Some of them may fimd themselves in 10-across E+, which is miserable for a TATL flight
SPN Lifer, sltlyamusd and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 20, 2022 at 11:52 pm
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..Keep in mind they are absolutely shafting Prem Plus customers.
I was wondering about that too. But we have no hard data what happened to them in the end.

I find the Premium Plus hardware quite acceptable. Just the meal service isn't.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
..there is a sense of "sardine packing". And you do get United Club access.
I am just wondering - as the OP take umbrage with the old lie flat seats - how he will feel about the United Club .....
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary

You prefer not to go at all?
jsloan, SPN Lifer and sltlyamusd like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.