Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by dilanesp
It's no better to call people wbose situations one knows nothing about "lazy" on a public message board than it is to say it to their face. As a matter of fact, it is worse. First, they can't defend themselves, and second, it spreads the message to far more people.

Especially if one has a platform, this sort of thing does a lot of harm. And for no reason- not getting a drink on a short flight is no loss at all.
​​​
The more someone with a platform calls out this complete and undeniable LAZINESS, the better
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You do realize that the "brown m&m's" story is widely used in the entertainment industry as an illustration that Van Halen was demanding and unreasonable, not that the tour personnel were bad?
Creative construal, not aligning with mainstream interpretation — just as when it comes to the in flight service issue.

Originally Posted by wiki
The complex technical demands of a Van Halen tour ultimately had a notable side-effect on modern pop music tours, especially via the concert's technical contract-rider. The band used contract-riders to verify the venue's power availability, security, structural and weight distribution details. Their now-infamous riders specified that a bowl of M&M's candies was to be placed in their dressing room and, separately, in a different area of the contract, that all of the brown M&M's were to be removed.[121] According to both manager Noel Monk and Roth, this was listed in the technical portion of the contract not because the band wanted to make capricious demands of the venue location, but rather as a test to see if the electrical, structural, security, and safety requirements in the rider had been thoroughly observed.[122] If the bowl, sans brown M&Ms was present, then the band, management and crew could safely assume the other, more legitimate concerns in the technical rider were fulfilled; conversely, if the bowl was missing, or brown M&M's were present, then Van Halen management would be within their rights to have their crew or the venue inspect the work, redo it or even cancel the night's production at the venue's expense.[123][124]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Halen#Contract_riders

To spell it out: the point is that when there is an established, published set of standards (UA's service outline, Van Halen's contract riders), and the person (flight attendant, concert venue) charged with implementing them deviates downward from that (i.e. is lazy) on some item, then at best the other items go off without a hitch, but quite possibly there are issues elsewhere too.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Part of my job is similar to that of FA's. If I cannot deliver a quality product, and if I cannot deliver in a timely manner, the client/customer will call me out, and worse, disengage with me and/or the company I work for.

Customer feedback, good or bad, is an useful tool for the company to assess employee performance. FAs busting their chops should have higher merit pay than those doing the bare minimum. Accountability makes everyone strive to be better, and weed out the bad apples.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
For respect to be given, respect is required. FAs don't respect passengers by making up lame excuses to avoid work, particularly in first class. As I showed upthread, beverage service is an advertised benefit of choosing UA. I expect that to be delivered.
As ISTFlyer has shown - UA advertises beverages are upon request for flights shorter than 1 hour.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
It's no better to call people wbose situations one knows nothing about "lazy" on a public message board than it is to say it to their face. As a matter of fact, it is worse. First, they can't defend themselves, and second, it spreads the message to far more people.
False premise. Laziness can be observed and customer feedback is solicited by United (e.g. post-flight surveys) since United certainly cannot possibly monitor and evaluate 20,000 flight attendants itself.

Especially if one has a platform, this sort of thing does a lot of harm. And for no reason- not getting a drink on a short flight is no loss at all.​​​
Second false premise. Not getting a drink is a loss to me.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
As ISTFlyer has shown - UA advertises beverages are upon request for flights shorter than 1 hour.
In COACH.

I recall you were flying in a different cabin...

Last edited by MatthewLAX; Jan 25, 2022 at 9:36 am
Old Jan 22, 2022, 1:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Time for everyone to take a couple days break from this thread --- too much effort needed by Moderators to keep this thread with in the FT rules

Will reopen the thread with a few comments

- One does not "win" arguments on a forum like FT. We express our opinions, and perhaps discuss points of views. But if the goal is to win or be proven correct, this is not the place for that. There is no referee, scorekeeper or judge to declare a victory.

- Sometime it best just to decide it is time to agree to disagree.

- If you can not post within the rules and norms expected, best to stay away.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 24, 2022 at 11:26 pm Reason: reopenning thread
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Got this from a friend today. He pays for J tickets and decided to try UA after I told him how great the Polaris Lounge at IAD is (he's DC based):

What a waste of an opportunity by United. I had been thinking I might switch from AA/One World. Loved the Polaris lounge. Hard product was really comfortable. Crew was friendly and efficient. All was great until they brought out that disgusting retro coach dinner from 2005 they are offering in Intl business. Forget it. If that’s the crap they are serving on business…a packaged roll that could have injured someone was so stale and hard and plastic container of lemon gelato I’ll stick to One World. Even BA is leaps and bounds better.
Again, this is not a blogger, just a business traveler who buys his own tickets (in premium cabins).

One could charge he is being unreasonable, but that's not really fair to debate since he isn't here. I think it reveals a problem at the root of this thread that UA needs to fix ASAP. It's actually not so much...but it's oh so vital.

But food for thought, indeed...
Old Jan 25, 2022, 2:38 am

Programs: united
Got this from a friend today. He pays for J tickets and decided to try UA after I told him how great the Polaris Lounge at IAD is (he's DC based):

Again, this is not a blogger, just a business traveler who buys his own tickets (in premium cabins).

One could charge he is being unreasonable, but that's not really fair to debate since he isn't here. I think it reveals a problem at the root of this thread that UA needs to fix ASAP. It's actually not so much...but it's oh so vital.

In a world with a lot of people in it, obviously there are going to be a few who care about this unimportant issue, and they will write emails to folks who agree with them about it.

I trust United's market researchers and product people to have the actual numbers on this issue- especially since common sense is that most people paying a few thousand dollars for an air ticket can afford nice restaurants and don't need to eat faux-gourmet food on an airplane.

​​​​
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Even pre-pandemic, I feel like "excellent hard product, nice lounge, disappointing food" was a good description of Polaris, but I am also comparing to the soft product on the rest of *A.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Got this from a friend today. He pays for J tickets and decided to try UA after I told him how great the Polaris Lounge at IAD is (he's DC based)….

….But food for thought, indeed...
He’s not wrong about the bread sometimes I swear you could use them as Grenades. Not sure where he flew to im going to guess Europe. But definitely a very spirited opinion and I’m here for it 😂😂

Originally Posted by findark
Even pre-pandemic, I feel like "excellent hard product, nice lounge, disappointing food" was a good description of Polaris, but I am also comparing to the soft product on the rest of *A.
i agree for the most part (although the precovid Polaris Thai chicken bowl was absolutely delicious) but I think the difference is that pre COVID i was never left hungry at the end of meal service since there was so much food. Each of these Polaris meals post COVID I’m consistently left hungry
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 2MM
MatthewLAX - You have identified a segment of the international business class market that will just not accept UA’s poor Polaris soft product. Reopening the Polaris lounges is wonderful, but it only goes so far. 😊
Old Jan 25, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
MatthewLAX - You have identified a segment of the international business class market that will just not accept UA’s poor Polaris soft product. Reopening the Polaris lounges is wonderful, but it only goes so far. 😊
A tiny segment UA can safely ignore and make a profit.

Indeed, even among the people who complain about this, I bet the percentage which would actually switch to American or Delta and give up their FF miles and deprive UA of revenue over this utterly trivial issue is a rounding error.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

AA lost $300 million more than UA in Q4 despite UA's heavy reliance on APAC travel. It isn't a trivial number.

UA has made a business decision that the incremental spend will not at least at this time bring the corresponding incremental revenue and profit - and from a numbers perspective - that appears to be true - at least compared to AA. And while the AA in biz class flyer might eat better than the UA flyer - they are otherwise doing something very wrong.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
A tiny segment UA can safely ignore and make a profit.
Which is a great perspective for the Yahoo Finance board Re UAL stock.

For the frequent flyers on this board, it’s pretty clear the consensus is UA can and should do more. Some of their choices suggest lack of care**. So where else do they cut corners?

Its even more disappointing given UA has network, competitive hard product, great app, etc going for them

** vaccine mandate a laudable exception
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
New UA tagline is out: "P&L is our real passion".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.