Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2022, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA's behind AA on meals but much better in many other respects. I'd honestly rather fly UA, except on the premium t-cons.
​​​​​​
Premium transcon J, UA food and inflight service lag behind all, AA, AS, DL, B6. You know it's bad when UA couldn't even serve ice cream/sorbet correctly, now it's just packaged cheesecake forever. No food rotations, just the same cafeteria chow.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
UA amenity kit co branded with Away is selling for $30+ on EBay. Not $5.
If you actually think the kit is worth $30+
truncated likes this.

Last edited by Repooc17; Oct 14, 2022 at 2:09 pm
Old Oct 14, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje

So a very narrow case for continuing to fly UA there.
It’s not a narrow case. If I buy F to/from HNL it’s on a UA lie flat to Western US. Only HA with in my opinion awful lie flat - terrible FF program - horrific irrops - etc is the only other option which is way off the table.

Today I flew the only nonstop ORD-HNL very comfortably on a 787-10 and would not connect on another airline.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It’s not a narrow case. If I buy F to/from HNL it’s on a UA lie flat to Western US. Only HA with in my opinion awful lie flat - terrible FF program - horrific irrops - etc is the only other option which is way off the table.

Today I flew the only nonstop ORD-HNL very comfortably on a 787-10 and would not connect on another airline.
Narrow meaning it's a rationale that doesn't apply to many flyers. Not suggesting it's a close call for you — clearly not.
SPN Lifer and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
There has to be some internal incentive program at United which rewards the person who can drive the cost of food to its lowest possible level. Dried cranberries? Desiccated cheesecake? Beyond parody
Old Oct 15, 2022, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

I agree - UA is miles ahead of the competition in the Hawaiian market on schedule (especially lie-flats) alone, and I think would be the choice even if you had to self-cater. UA has better service to the islands from competitor's hubs half the time!
Old Oct 15, 2022, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
UA has better service to the islands from competitor's hubs half the time!
Depends how you define "better service." UA has the worst soft-product by far. We had a lovely experience in July flying AS SFO-OGG. Amazing FA and excellent food (including a caramel ice cream I still recall wistfully).
MatthewLAX and Repooc17 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Depends how you define "better service." UA has the worst soft-product by far.
Sorbet and duvet in a lie flat v ice cream on a 737?

Well, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But it is better with calm facts.

Now if the response is “but but hard product not soft product” then you have answered the mystery. It’s an overall basket of service.

Give me a full plane of Polaris seats and school lunch food than a all chair 737 anyday. Others will reach a different conclusion.

Yeah the food should be better and can be. Yet OTOH nobody’s upgrade clears and premium cabins fly out full.

So thankful the hard product investments were priority 1. Much harder to roll those back.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now if the response is “but but hard product not soft product” then you have answered the mystery. It’s an overall basket of service.

Give me a full plane of Polaris seats and school lunch food than a all chair 737 anyday. Others will reach a different conclusion.

Yeah the food should be better and can be. Yet OTOH nobody’s upgrade clears and premium cabins fly out full.

So thankful the hard product investments were priority 1. Much harder to roll those back.
But UA have pulled back a lot on lie-flat capacity to HI. While in some cases they are still ahead on hard product, that isn't so clearly true for west coast departures, where it can be choice of meh food/service on 737 (UA) or good food on 737 (AS).
Kacee likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

But United can’t consistently deliver relatively decent food or service, lieflat or not, and lieflat seats are a rare experience at that unless you fly nonstop international or transcon most of the time, otherwise your trip likely comes included with a 737 or A320.

The delta here between usually unacceptable and mostly wonderful is not expensive, but it does require training, updated quality standards and a vicious adherence to standards monitoring and enforcement the demands remediation or eventual termination for those who refuse to deliver quality service. It requires a dollar here and there to create a more appetizing menu domestically and a few more dollars into each Polaris customer.

The failure here rests with Kirby, taught the industry by someone almost as sinister as Lorenzo, who doesn’t care one iota about real service quality, only the advertised PR-driven fantasy of it, because margins matter more than anything, except executive bonuses and helping out his institutional shareholder buddies.

I’m on JAL right now where I can’t tell if any of the flight attendants are having a bad day, or don’t get along, or any other personal challenge, we’re all getting totally consistent service of the highest quality, and that costs nothing except effort and pride.
narvik and manstein58 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
But UA have pulled back a lot on lie-flat capacity to HI. While in some cases they are still ahead on hard product, that isn't so clearly true for west coast departures, where it can be choice of meh food/service on 737 (UA) or good food on 737 (AS).
Plenty of lie flats to and from Honolulu including 777-300’s of which I’ll be on one Tuesday night. I can’t think of a single soft product I could or would enjoy on a 10:10pm departure - the only thing that could possibly disturb my sleep by 10:45pm is the clanging of silverware when I shake my head when I wonder why people eat any food at that hour and of the 60 people in F likely 100% of them already ate dinner at home or in Waikiki or wherever they were.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

This is the thread for inflight service, not hard product.

United has invested in the hard product, no doubt, mostly its widebodies, but has all but stopped trying on inflight service.
bocastephen and manstein58 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen

I’m on JAL right now where I can’t tell if any of the flight attendants are having a bad day, or don’t get along, or any other personal challenge, we’re all getting totally consistent service of the highest quality, and that costs nothing except effort and pride.
I can report the exact same experience from this Air Zealand flight I'm on (upgrade to J with OneUp offer).
It's good to see how other airlines are every now and then, just to be able to have something to compare United against.
And I have had good experiences with United recently, but dang, they are trailing in service...
bocastephen likes this.

Last edited by narvik; Oct 15, 2022 at 3:32 pm
Old Oct 15, 2022, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Depends how you define "better service." UA has the worst soft-product by far. We had a lovely experience in July flying AS SFO-OGG. Amazing FA and excellent food (including a caramel ice cream I still recall wistfully).
A minimum-stop routing with a lie-flat seat, no HA segment, and not in full J. I'm not necessarily trying to say the onboard experience on UA is superior, but just chiming in that there are routes where UA's schedule superiority is a strong reason to fly them regardless of the state of soft product.

There is much better competition from the West Coast, but from e.g. MSP or DTW there are many more options on UA than DL. If DL even bothers to serve Hawaii from an inland (not ATL) hub it's HNL only, daily if you're lucky, and a tiny F cabin that sells out fast. Meanwhile UA has comparatively excellent connectivity to KOA/OGG/LIH via ORD and DEN flying 4x the seats DL would offer.

To the West Coast you can take a daytime flight eastbound, so recliners are a much more realistic option and you get a lot more competition from AS and even AA/DL at LAX/SEA/PHX so I'm mostly talking from east of the Rockies.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 5:09 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
A minimum-stop routing with a lie-flat seat, no HA segment, and not in full J. I'm not necessarily trying to say the onboard experience on UA is superior, but just chiming in that there are routes where UA's schedule superiority is a strong reason to fly them regardless of the state of soft product....
Indeed, I don't disagree - but it seems the cabins are full of people willing to hold their nose and trade convenience for quality (aside from Kettles with no point of reference doing an award ticket, or buy-up, or just paying for F), but Kirby did promise "a best in class, world leading experience", not a "we get you there faster, just hold your nose and ignore the crap we serve by surly, disinterested flight attendants". "Hold your nose" is not exactly a selling point I would be proud of if I was leading a service business.

Kirby doesn't seem to recognize a delta exists between "promised and delivered" and seems to care less what anyone else in the industry is doing.

Let's forget comparing ANA, SQ, etc - last Thursday I flew Delta LAX-JFK on a 764 in regular coach, with much larger seats than UA, more basic legroom, better service and don't get me started on the two Sky Clubs I visited at LAX and JFK where the former had the LAX UC beat by a mile, and the JFK location actually surpassed the Polaris buffet experience.

I get the focus on upgrading the hard product, and that's great, but doing so in the absence of any improvement in the soft product, or worse, additional cuts, seems to ring hollow.

A bluetooth connection to the IFE is great, but that is not going to sell me on buying a ticket on United if I know the inflight service trails far behind every other option.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by manstein58
There has to be some internal incentive program at United which rewards the person who can drive the cost of food to its lowest possible level. Dried cranberries? Desiccated cheesecake? Beyond parody
Or perhaps the total lack of talent that has plagued UA for ages... doubt UA staff would be able to negotiate decent catering contracts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.