Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2022, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It is my opinion UA does not consider any foreign airline a competitor (and I believe neither does American or Delta) - so until American and Delta start serving lobster tails and "real champagne" that won't be on UA's radar screen.

The US is Big 3 isn't trying to figure how to get market share from foreign airlines - but rather are focused on stealing US market share from each other.
I never asked United for lobster tails and champagne, I asked for a return to the pre-virus Polaris service that included a pre-departure welcome with beverage, an appetizer and salad served together with dressing choice poured from the cart, a bread selection with multiple options and additional service on request, a nicely plated, substantial sized entree that looked and tasted remotely appealing (sometimes even delicious), a dessert cart (or selection on request) of one, some or all of a sundae with custom toppings, mini pies and other small desserts, cheese, crackers and fruit, and depending on the length of flight and destination, a choice of a one or more hot entree items including soup and sandwich or noodle soup, etc., and a pre-arrival hot meal which may be a hot breakfast of an omelet with sides, cereal, or pancakes/waffles, etc including fresh warm breads, yogurt, and fruit.

If this is all too much for United to deliver in a so-called premium business class product, then I can't help them.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I never asked United for lobster tails and champagne, I asked for a return to the pre-virus Polaris service that included a pre-departure welcome with beverage, an appetizer and salad served together with dressing choice poured from the cart, a bread selection with multiple options and additional service on request, a nicely plated, substantial sized entree that looked and tasted remotely appealing (sometimes even delicious), a dessert cart (or selection on request) of one, some or all of a sundae with custom toppings, mini pies and other small desserts, cheese, crackers and fruit, and depending on the length of flight and destination, a choice of a one or more hot entree items including soup and sandwich or noodle soup, etc., and a pre-arrival hot meal which may be a hot breakfast of an omelet with sides, cereal, or pancakes/waffles, etc including fresh warm breads, yogurt, and fruit.

If this is all too much for United to deliver in a so-called premium business class product, then I can't help them.
In my opinion - nothing close to that will happen ever again.

How many years will it ultimately take before the realization takes effect?
Bear96 likes this.

Last edited by HNLbasedFlyer; Oct 10, 2022 at 11:16 pm
Old Oct 11, 2022, 1:07 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by jimmc66
This is unfair. Cathay hasn't flown in 2+ years, Qantas just started flying. I dunno about AF. But EVERYONE's "service" is a far cry from before the Covid Winter Extravaganza. I find it difficult to get to fussed about it. . .
AF is bumping.
I had no idea Cathay hasn't flown in more than 2 years wow
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:18 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
I never asked United for lobster tails and champagne, I asked for a return to the pre-virus Polaris service that included a pre-departure welcome with beverage, an appetizer and salad served together with dressing choice poured from the cart, a bread selection with multiple options and additional service on request, a nicely plated, substantial sized entree that looked and tasted remotely appealing (sometimes even delicious), a dessert cart (or selection on request) of one, some or all of a sundae with custom toppings, mini pies and other small desserts, cheese, crackers and fruit, and depending on the length of flight and destination, a choice of a one or more hot entree items including soup and sandwich or noodle soup, etc., and a pre-arrival hot meal which may be a hot breakfast of an omelet with sides, cereal, or pancakes/waffles, etc including fres

Roger that

Last edited by manstein58; Oct 11, 2022 at 8:09 am Reason: mispelling & misplaced
Old Oct 11, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'd settle for a decent meal. Two of them on flights 12 hours or longer (though I often skip the second). Instant noodles on demand would be a bonus.

Originally Posted by bunkunu
I had no idea Cathay hasn't flown in more than 2 years wow
CX has been operating continuously.

Don't believe everything you read on FT ;-)
SPN Lifer and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
And we all know the cost of ingredients has risen a lot in 2022.
Aha!
Maybe that's why they omitted the egg yolks from my recent pre-arrival meal and only served egg whites; got to keep them costs down somehow! 😎
Old Oct 12, 2022, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
There was really one FA I interacted with and she was great - very kind and attentive. I thought the meal was tasty...it was comfort food that was not nicely presented, but at least was a nice alternative to the usual offerings.

For those who didn't see the report, this is from UA1122 from EWR-CPT. I ordered an AVML.

"special" meal was just the oatmeal, one of the two regular choices.

For those who did not order a special meal, this is all they had for a mid-flight snack:

(I did not even see any sandwiches)
That is really, really poor for a 14 hour + flight.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by goodeats21
That is really, really poor for a 14 hour + flight.
Wow. I will be flying EWR to JNB next week. I guess I'd better tighten my belt (or bring my own snacks.) I remember way back in 2019 when we had a sundae cart, macaroons, sandwiches and soup on demand
Old Oct 12, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold
HNL - SFO FAs were some of the friendliest and nicest I've had in a LONG time.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I’m sitting on JAL right now enroute to Tokyo and just stunned at the gap between inflight catering on JAL and Polaris, and I won’t even get into the difference in service quality.

Just looking at meal choices, quality, and quantity, the gap is enormous and JAL isn’t exactly one of the top airlines in the world.

My mid flight snack and pre landing meals, which I can order from my video controller at leisure and mix and match different dishes, sides and desserts from the ‘anytime menu’, was easily larger and more substantial than any of the main courses I’ve seen posted in this thread from United.

The sad pit that Polaris catering has fallen into is just incredible. Saying “you can eat in the Polaris Lounge” is not an excuse either, because the buffet spread I had last night at the regular Delta Sky Club in JFK or the new DL LAX lounge, can go head to head with any buffet I’ve experienced in a Polaris lounge, so if that’s United’s real strategy, they have work to do in that department too.
dw, MatthewLAX, goodeats21 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 7:03 am

I flew a 90-minute (600 miles) domestic India flight last week on UK (Air Vistara) in business.
There were 4 main course options - indian style chicken, louisiana style chicken, one vegan and one vegetarian;

Plus french-press poured starbucks coffee, indian style tea or other tea choices, juices, coca cola, water, two choices of dessert, two appetizer choices.

I had the vegan option - it blew my mind!! Amazing taste (not just a bunch of leaves calling it "vegan").

Everyone got their choices.
You could try more than one dessert / appetizer if you wanted.
Surely they would have given me a second meal if I was terribly hungry.

Of course, I understand Vistara is not UA's competition. But the difference is service/quality, etc is ridiculous.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
I flew a 90-minute (600 miles) domestic India flight last week on UK (Air Vistara) in business.
There were 4 main course options - indian style chicken, louisiana style chicken, one vegan and one vegetarian;

Plus french-press poured starbucks coffee, indian style tea or other tea choices, juices, coca cola, water, two choices of dessert, two appetizer choices.

I had the vegan option - it blew my mind!! Amazing taste (not just a bunch of leaves calling it "vegan").

Everyone got their choices.
You could try more than one dessert / appetizer if you wanted.
Surely they would have given me a second meal if I was terribly hungry.

Of course, I understand Vistara is not UA's competition. But the difference is service/quality, etc is ridiculous.
Not to excuse United's poor service, but an Indian airline is partly able to do this because of the dramatically lower cost of labor. I would not wish that on our country (but I still think United can and needs to offer decent food, and enough of it).
Old Oct 13, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I’m sitting on JAL right now enroute to Tokyo and just stunned at the gap between inflight catering on JAL and Polaris, and I won’t even get into the difference in service quality.
Given years of posts on FT - with pictures - and commentary - how can anyone be "stunned" nowadays?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Not to excuse United's poor service, but an Indian airline is partly able to do this because of the dramatically lower cost of labor. I would not wish that on our country (but I still think United can and needs to offer decent food, and enough of it).
So how would you rationalize other US air carriers having better catering and soft product in general?
Old Oct 13, 2022, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Repooc17
So how would you rationalize other US air carriers having better catering and soft product in general?
How do you rationalize still patronizing UA?
dw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.