Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2022, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Yes, that is her and I will state publicly here she is out of touch.
From the profile:

Vice President, Customer Strategy & Innovation and Catering

Lots of scope. And a Finance education. Equals chop chop chop for strategy, innovation and catering. Talk about Peter principle on steroids
Old May 12, 2022, 5:55 pm

Wow - whoever she is -- she needs to 'get in touch' and get the catering fixed ASAP or remove the word 'innovation' from her title ASAP.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold,1MM, Hilton Honors Silver, Marriott Gold, BA Blue
Originally Posted by globetraveler
Credible source indicating new menus and soft service starting June 1 all trans-Atlantic and staggered launches across APAC and other regions.
Do you have any additional details?
Old May 12, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
DEN/KOA UA Serves Slop for a Meal

I appreciate that all the airlines are having challenges with their operations post-Covid. But I don't see them offering fare cuts for the substandard service they're giving us.

Below is a photo of the "meal" being served on the DEN/KOA flight this past Monday, May 9th.

All the meals were obviously wrapped by hand in plastic wrap, with the meal open to tampering and other contamination. The meals also tasted hideous - this one was some kind of noodles with chicken. Blech!

Did UA switch from their own staff to Gate Gourmet in Denver during the pandemic?

I'd lodge a complaint with the 1K desk, but they rarely respond these days.

Note the plastic is open on the "salad" side. This is how it was served. . .
Old May 12, 2022, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Is this a meal in Y or F?
Old May 12, 2022, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If OP thinks there's a link between meal quality and fare, OP doesn't know airline business. There's no rule stating meal quality must go up or down with fare. I'd hate to be an FA who has to alter each passenger's meal to fit the fare they paid

You paid for a seat DEN-KOA. UA promised a meal - you got one. My expectations would have been low and planned accordingly.

Other airlines might provide better meals.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 12, 2022 at 8:25 pm
Old May 12, 2022, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
That's a coach meal.
Doesn't matter -- that's just awful -- even for UA.... UA used COVID as a cover to cut costs in the name of "passenger safety" -- I'm betting this is going to backfire soon....

Last edited by bmwe92fan; May 12, 2022 at 8:43 pm
Old May 12, 2022, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Doesn't matter -- that's just awful -- even for UA....
I'm done with expecting anything good out of UA's "find the cheapest caterer who can provide the bare minimum" mindset right now. I always expect a less than mediocre meal. I haven't been surprised in a 18 months or so....I almost wish UA would just go to the burger for breakfast, lunch, and dinner - I'd rather be bored by better-than-average (on UA's food spectrum) than an endless stream of bleccchhh. I really am altering my eating to avoid as much in-flight food as I can. Most current entrees can be just flushed IMHO.

They can't screw up the yogurt, unless they fail to cater it as they did last week on one of my flights. The butter is OK.

I just expect UA to get me where I'm going and make sure there's booze on the plane.

Unless droves of passengers flee specifically because of the food, UA has no incentive to change.
SPN Lifer and bmwe92fan like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 12, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Old May 12, 2022, 8:37 pm

I'm done with expecting anything good out of UA's "find the cheapest caterer who can provide the bare minimum" mindset right now. I always expect a less than mediocre meal. I haven't been surprised in a 18 months or so....
Over the past two years I've still spent a ton of money with UA -- but nowhere near what it used to be -- I've been flying airlines more like Gulf Air -- this tiny little ME airline -- and getting amazing food and wines -- at a really good price for J -- has made me realize it doesn't have to be so bad -- UA is willingly doing this - I mean come on when AA offers a far better soft product you know it's clear they don't care any more -- it plays well with Wall St. -- but only for a while.

This is why I left AA/US -- and will likely leave UA -- I have over 2MM miles with AA/US -- and watched him "Kirby" that merger and was so unhappy I literally abandoned them both -- it seems UA is on the same path....
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Over the past two years I've still spent a ton of money with UA -- but nowhere near what it used to be -- I've been flying airlines more like Gulf Air -- this tiny little ME airline -- and getting amazing food and wines -- at a really good price for J -- has made me realize it doesn't have to be so bad -- UA is willingly doing this - I mean come on when AA offers a far better soft product you know it's clear they don't care any more -- it plays well with Wall St. -- but only for a while.

This is why I left AA/US -- and will likely leave UA -- I have over 2MM miles with AA/US -- and watched him "Kirby" that merger and was so unhappy I literally abandoned them both -- it seems UA is on the same path....
My "problem" is living in Honolulu. Going with another carrier is very inconvenient from a schedule/network standpoint. The "best" of the big 3 (Delta) would be the worst for me out of HNL in terms of network and convenience. It's the flyers that have alternate (and not inconvenient) choices that need to spank UA by leaving.
Old May 12, 2022, 8:48 pm

My "problem" is living in Honolulu. Going with another carrier is very inconvenient from a schedule/network standpoint. The "best" of the big 3 (Delta) would be the worst for me out of HNL in terms of network and convenience. It's the flyers that have alternate (and not inconvenient) choices that need to spank UA by leaving.
Forgive me for not feeling sorry lol -- We live in NYC and Tokyo and fortunately we have a choice -- my wife is constantly on me about not flying ANA - she has a point but GS up to now has made the difference -- but GS doesn't really mean much any more -- so it's been liberating to try other airlines! For example - my wife and I are flying JAL to Tokyo when we couldn't find a decent airfare in June to Tokyo on UA or any *A partner (collusion????) -- I mean come on $11k to fly on *A from NYC to Tokyo -- easily double what it's ever been....
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jimmc66
I appreciate that all the airlines are having challenges with their operations post-Covid. But I don't see them offering fare cuts for the substandard service they're giving us.

Below is a photo of the "meal" being served on the DEN/KOA flight this past Monday, May 9th.

All the meals were obviously wrapped by hand in plastic wrap, with the meal open to tampering and other contamination. The meals also tasted hideous - this one was some kind of noodles with chicken. Blech!

Did UA switch from their own staff to Gate Gourmet in Denver during the pandemic?

I'd lodge a complaint with the 1K desk, but they rarely respond these days.

Note the plastic is open on the "salad" side. This is how it was served. . .
It should have been wrapped, but keep in mind IAH/ORD/IAD/EWR/DEN-HNL/OGG/KOA received no meal prior to the pandemic. This is better than just a BOB option. I appreciate that UA has improved its Hawaii meals (to the point in which they are better than longhaul Polaris).
Old May 13, 2022, 5:54 am

Changing topics. Usually, I fly DCA/ORD. For the past couple of flights it has been IAD/ORD on a B752. I was last to board yesterday evening's flight due to a late incoming, seated in 7E. A FA found space for my backpack up front, much appreciated. I was able to move upstream quickly and grab my pack. When exiting, I noticed that a FA was blocking Y from deplaning until F had deplaned. Is this a one of? (On the way out, I was 9C that the blocking did not occur). Just curious.
Old May 13, 2022, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by lamphs
Changing topics. Usually, I fly DCA/ORD. For the past couple of flights it has been IAD/ORD on a B752. I was last to board yesterday evening's flight due to a late incoming, seated in 7E. A FA found space for my backpack up front, much appreciated. I was able to move upstream quickly and grab my pack. When exiting, I noticed that a FA was blocking Y from deplaning until F had deplaned. Is this a one of? (On the way out, I was 9C that the blocking did not occur). Just curious.
Is holding Y from deplaning so F can be first off of 752s common? Yes that has been common practice. Usually they announce this prior to opening the boarding door.

David
Old May 13, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Well - I've got the same "problem". I'm not going to leave a carrier with a near 100% upgrade success rate on lie-flat seats and it wouldn't bother me if they served no meal to/from the West Coast since I don't eat it anyway - Southwest doesn't, and people seem to survive. I flew HNL-ORD the other day - ate something at home, had a turkey sandwich in the UC and gladly passed on the Katsu or Tofu - was offered any buy on board in the back - and certainly didn't need a meal at 5am Chicago time/Midnight Honolulu on approach, I mean - who has to eat at that hour, but some apparently did - and pretty much woke everyone up - I'm not alone in that many of us would rather be sleeping than eating at that hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.