Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Originally Posted by EWR764
$$$$

The type of meal you describe would probably cost a multiple of what UA is budgeting. Processed cheese, powdered eggs, "meat product", etc. is cheaply-sourced in volume. Right before the pandemic, United was actually starting to roll out some arguably healthier options, including some plant-based items, protein bowls, etc. That seems to have fallen by the wayside in favor of sugary/cheesy/salty, carb-laden unhealthy entrees. Of course, the dirty little secret is those unhealthy items tend to score much higher in customer satisfaction metrics (broadly) than others.

Besides that, for all the talk of pre-ordering function enabling additional meal choices and new menus, it really hasn't manifest in operation in any meaningful way. From speaking with United people, my impression is that the mid-pandemic decision to eviscerate Chelsea and outsource catering (a panic move) went horrendously and set United about a year or two back in terms of what it was planning to do with meal service in 2020 and beyond. They still aren't up to speed with the various vendors and that continues to play out in supply chain issues and United's poor catering as compared to Delta or American.
Please don't call "plant based items" as healthy. They are not healthy. They have more calories than meat. DL served a wretched meat ball main course made with impossible beef. It tasted like dog food, had a gummy texture, and was stupidly caloric. Someone came to his or her senses and it's gone now. If UA put this to one side, let's hope it dies there.
rch4u likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
$$$$

The type of meal you describe would probably cost a multiple of what UA is budgeting. Processed cheese, powdered eggs, "meat product", etc. is cheaply-sourced in volume. Right before the pandemic, United was actually starting to roll out some arguably healthier options, including some plant-based items, protein bowls, etc. That seems to have fallen by the wayside in favor of sugary/cheesy/salty, carb-laden unhealthy entrees. Of course, the dirty little secret is those unhealthy items tend to score much higher in customer satisfaction metrics (broadly) than others.

Besides that, for all the talk of pre-ordering function enabling additional meal choices and new menus, it really hasn't manifest in operation in any meaningful way. From speaking with United people, my impression is that the mid-pandemic decision to eviscerate Chelsea and outsource catering (a panic move) went horrendously and set United about a year or two back in terms of what it was planning to do with meal service in 2020 and beyond. They still aren't up to speed with the various vendors and that continues to play out in supply chain issues and United's poor catering as compared to Delta or American.
YEs, it boggles the mind that they can't figure out meal ordering - even AA can do that...

I enjoy some junk food too, (particularly the baked on board cookies and the cinnamon rolls).. I'd even pay some $ for a decent meal (ha)
Old May 26, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Please don't call "plant based items" as healthy. They are not healthy. They have more calories than meat. DL served a wretched meat ball main course made with impossible beef. It tasted like dog food, had a gummy texture, and was stupidly caloric. Someone came to his or her senses and it's gone now. If UA put this to one side, let's hope it dies there.
Please note my use of "arguably".
Old May 26, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: United MileagePlus 1K
Most plant-based entrees ARE healthier if they are plant-based "real" foods. Part of the problem is using these weird meat substitutes to try and put together an entree that stands in place for a hamburger, chicken, etc. I'm not sure why United does it, but my guess is so that it's a meal that could arguably be served to both vegetarian and non-vegetarian customers. And the proportion of vegetarians in premium classes is higher than the proportion of vegetarians in the general population, so there's a reason to try and keep them happy. It would be much better if they'd knock it off and just offer some quality dishes that happen to be vegetarian instead of trying to offer some fake meats (e.g., the falafel dish that's part of the pre-order program right now is really good, and the enchiladas that are sometimes offered are also delicious).
Old May 26, 2022, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cissigys
. It would be much better if they'd knock it off and just offer some quality dishes that happen to be vegetarian instead of trying to offer some fake meats (e.g., the falafel dish that's part of the pre-order program right now is really good, and the enchiladas that are sometimes offered are also delicious).
Hear hear! Design for vegetarians that actually desire vegetarian oriented food. Those examples and some of the AVML show it can be done reasonably well

And real meat for the rest. Plant based mock meat is a solution looking for a problem
Old May 26, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
So when is UA going to replace the plastic baggie (so much for "Eco-Skies") on short-haul flights? AA, AA, and DL all restored the snack basket months ago.
I am so sick of that bag! With almost nothing in it! All packaging, what a waste.

Originally Posted by dw
Either Kirby is deluded or he thinks his customers are. It’s so odd to see him constantly referring to UA becoming the “premium” US airline… and in turn seeing the slop that’s being served in F these days.
I am seeing a lot of people in domestic first who would not know what UA used to serve. It's not like UA has trouble selling out all seats right now, including FC unfortunately.

I went through a product presentation on a plant based food product. The manufacturer wanted it marketed as a health food product yet it was so highly processed there was no remaining vitamin content and they had difficulty among themselves describing the entire production process. Even the original fiber content was largely degraded in the processing. This food product, ironically, would not meet several competing companies' standards as acceptable grade animal feed. I feel a little less indulgent now eating lean organic meats.
Old May 26, 2022, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cissigys
[T]he proportion of vegetarians in premium classes is higher than the proportion of vegetarians in the general population[.]
I am not arguing because I have no idea but am just genuinely curious - do you have a source for that?

(I am vegetarian and when I am in a premium class it is usually for personal travel on my own dime.)
Old May 26, 2022, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please don't call "plant based items" as healthy. They are not healthy. They have more calories than meat.
Well, that depends.

Does "plant based" mean something like the Impossible or Beyond products (which are definitely not "health foods," but delicious and do not involve torturing and killing animals); or something like steamed veggies on rice (which definitely has fewer calories than meat)?
notquiteaff and MatthewLAX like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 11:49 pm

Programs: NZ *E
So I haven't flown United in a while until today, but what has happened to the domestic catering! Tiny portions of chicken, sliced fruit instead of the salad (strange) and a tiny tiny cake thing for dessert.

This doesn't jive with their whole goal of trying to me more premium to compete with Delta..
Old May 30, 2022, 12:06 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by camdawg
SFO-EWR UA523 J

For some weird reason the redeye is listed online as a snack but was a choice between coconut chicken noodle bowl or butternut squash ravioli. Both were fine but I wish they had loaded the burger.

Pre arrival was a packaged croissant and yogurt.
That's pretty consistent with redeye flights, where they serve full J meals. And because it's a snack/redeye flight, there's no burger in coach.

Originally Posted by samjnz
So I haven't flown United in a while until today, but what has happened to the domestic catering! Tiny portions of chicken, sliced fruit instead of the salad (strange) and a tiny tiny cake thing for dessert.

This doesn't jive with their whole goal of trying to me more premium to compete with Delta..
All are supposed to change on 1 June.
Old May 30, 2022, 12:28 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by samjnz

I don't recall UA saying that
Old May 30, 2022, 1:16 am

Programs: LH HON
The first couple of months after introducing Polaris might have been the best times to fly United up front in retrospective.
Old May 30, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ckx2
The first couple of months after introducing Polaris might have been the best times to fly United up front in retrospective.
Perhaps. (And RIP welcome aboard chocolate ).

Old May 30, 2022, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just for comparison, here is my lunch service LAX-YYZ on AC - not in business, but in premium economy! While UA is slowly - very slowly - improving inflight premium meals, there is still a huge gap to fill, even to reach parity with a competitor's PY meal. I get that investing in the 'hard product' is important, but I see wasteful follies ahead like spending millions on bluetooth IFE connections that will hardly ever get used, while the soft product continues to languish.

Old May 30, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just for comparison, here is my lunch service LAX-YYZ on AC - not in business, but in premium economy! While UA is slowly - very slowly - improving inflight premium meals, there is still a huge gap to fill, even to reach parity with a competitor's PY meal. I get that investing in the 'hard product' is important, but I see wasteful follies ahead like spending millions on bluetooth IFE connections that will hardly ever get used, while the soft product continues to languish.
It shouldn稚 be a matter of either you invest in soft or hard product. Like the Air Canada example you provided, in addition to the pictures of the food, all of the AC fleet has IFE in all cabins.

Sadly with United, we are not getting either. The narrow body hard product refresh as best I can tell hasn稚 happened aside from new MAX-8 deliveries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.