Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2023, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Longboater
Was a little annoyed this morning that not a single person sitting upfront on my IAD-STT was either 1K or GS from what I gather. I died first on the list and F has been sold out for weeks. Everyone in F boarded in group 1 from my observation in the first row of Economy Plus, besides the two UA employees that were already onboard prior to pre-boarding. My return STT-IAD flight, there is one open seat upfront and I am first on the list, using PP. There are only four on the upgrade list. Upsell offer is a whopping $808.
The destination has something to do with it

A couple of months ago, while boarding DEN to EWR flight, mind you, well before 6am, the GA informed me I was the only 1K on the plane. I guess too early for most elites, but the point here is leisure pax occupying front of the plane are still going strong, and United (and other airlines) are enticing them with manageable buyup offers...full of once or twice a year flyers.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo, uanj and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 9:44 pm
hch

Had to book a last minute Europe to the US West Coast trip, and was surprised that for next Thursday both SFO-FRA flights were wide open with PZ=9 at that time. Maybe I'm just lucky..
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and uanj like this.

Last edited by hch; Aug 5, 2023 at 2:14 am
Old Aug 5, 2023, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
HNL-LAX 8am 10Aug. 14 seats unclaimed up front on a 753 and PN3 PZ1 (no waitlist). Might actually get a CPU w/ my award ticket
DELee likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 5, 2023 at 2:51 pm
Old Sep 19, 2023, 7:00 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
PZ9 for at least the next several days (maybe longer) on SCL-IAH. Discovered by happenstance looking for a last-minute return later this week.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
HNL-LAX 8am 10Aug. 14 seats unclaimed up front on a 753 and PN3 PZ1 (no waitlist). Might actually get a CPU w/ my award ticket
Did you get it?
Old Sep 19, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
Miracles do happen! Just here to let you guys know I was upgraded on an SFO-MEX as a United Silver on a cheapo economy fare (not basic), at T-24 :O

It was Saturday 1:30pm. Flight load was of course very light. I sat on 1A and 1B was actually empty and no one else was on the upgrade list. Some supervisor thought it was a mistake and came with the gate agent to check the plane. They were in shock at an empty first class seat, as was I!

I never managed a CPU even as a Platinum for three years.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Check this... T-40 hours or so to go till my IAD-SFO flight. Dreamliner 787 with 25 of 28 booked in Polaris. I'm 1K and using pluspoints and I'm #15 on waitlist!! What's the point....

On top of that, they just dropped the upgrade offer for me from ~$1,000 to $650. #1 on waitlist will not get upgraded, all 3 remaining seats will be bought before the flight boards. #dodo
Old Sep 24, 2023, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by technique
Check this... T-40 hours or so to go till my IAD-SFO flight. Dreamliner 787 with 25 of 28 booked in Polaris. I'm 1K and using pluspoints and I'm #15 on waitlist!! What's the point....

On top of that, they just dropped the upgrade offer for me from ~$1,000 to $650. #1 on waitlist will not get upgraded, all 3 remaining seats will be bought before the flight boards. #dodo
This is becoming an extremely tough route to clear, arguably more difficult than some hub-to-hub routes.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by technique
"Why I'm making no effort to requalify, #32."

These days I'm mostly flying UA only if I can book a cheap P fare well in advance. Closer in, the fares are outrageous and upgrades highly unlikely.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
This is becoming an extremely tough route to clear, arguably more difficult than some hub-to-hub routes.
Last time I checked, IAD-SFO was a hub to hub
SPN Lifer, Boraxo, Dyce and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Last time I checked, IAD-SFO was a hub to hub
duh! Brain freeze
Thanks!
ContinentalFan and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 4:36 pm

Programs: United 1K/*G, HHonors Platinum
Another success story on using plus points on NH. Purchased on September 8 for early November outbound LAX-NRT, UA A fare, cleared today, September 24. Optimistic about the inbound also.
st530 and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Repooc17
This is becoming an extremely tough route to clear
I think it’s one of the toughest. On the widebodies, most F seats are sold before the upgrade windows even open.

Is UA back to pre-covid capacity on IAD-SFO?
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 6:55 am

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by econ
I think it’s one of the toughest. On the widebodies, most F seats are sold before the upgrade windows even open.

Nunber of flights? They are currently flying 5 flights a day, 2 widebody and 3 narrowbody.

Unfortunately the red eye options flying to DC are narrowbody only these days...
Old Sep 25, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by econ

Just did IAD-SFO-IAD roundtrip on the 787-8 for each leg. I died at number 7 on the upgrade list, 1K using PP, on each flight. IAD-SFO outbound the upgrade list was at one point over 80. Both flights, only one or two on the list cleared. However, I was in 20A for each flight so it wasn't all too bad. Would rather have that seat than a narrowbody domestic F seat.

Last edited by Longboater; Sep 25, 2023 at 9:49 am
Old Sep 25, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
These days I'm mostly flying UA only if I can book a cheap P fare well in advance. Closer in, the fares are outrageous and upgrades highly unlikely.
Same here, they're plentiful on DEN-ORD far enough in advance. I just flew ORD-SFO-ORD being 20th on the list outbound and 10th on the return (no PPs applied on cheap T/K fares so no surprise).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.