Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Oct 9, 2023, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
They didnít do the DL thing of ripping the band-aid off (eg PP only take you 1 cabin so J only if you buy O etc) so the frogs are just slowly boiling :-)
Old Oct 9, 2023, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin
They didnít do the DL thing of ripping the band-aid off (eg PP only take you 1 cabin so J only if you buy O etc) so the frogs are just slowly boiling :-)
Still time. United usually announce late. Let's see...
Old Oct 9, 2023, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin
They didnít do the DL thing of ripping the band-aid off (eg PP only take you 1 cabin so J only if you buy O etc)
UA doesn't need to do that; upgrades direct Y=>J have become sufficiently difficult that in most cases if you want a realistic chance of clearing to J, you need to be in PE.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Judging by this thread, a lot of people find PPs useless and cant spend them, yet keep accumulating more.
Yes, and some of us have quit making any effort to achieve UA status. I would hope that once the fog clears a bit more, more will follow. For most it has stopped making any kind of economic sense to chase UA status, esp. Plat or 1K.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, and some of us have quit making any effort to achieve UA status. I would hope that once the fog clears a bit more, more will follow. For most it has stopped making any kind of economic sense to chase UA status, esp. Plat or 1K.
Setting aside negative sentiment towards status for the moment, under what circumstances do you think it's worth pushing for 1K (or status in general)?
Old Oct 9, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I think there are a lot of benefits to status beyond the PP/UG issues - and sometimes, as I think has been discussed extensively on FT, some of the relationship issues with UA that come from status that might not always be immediately available (or known) if you are a free agent flying F all the time (which many of us cant and won't do)
Old Oct 9, 2023, 10:29 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Setting aside negative sentiment towards status for the moment, under what circumstances do you think it's worth pushing for 1K (or status in general)?
IMO if you're more than $500-1000 away, it doesn't make sense to push for 1K unless you're getting substantial value from PlusPoints. If you're like me (west coast based, not willing to waitlist and pray for my long-haul flights, not buying D fares on LH) they're not worth much at all these days.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMO if you're more than $500-1000 away, it doesn't make sense to push for 1K unless you're getting substantial value from PlusPoints. If you're like me (west coast based, not willing to waitlist and pray for my long-haul flights, not buying D fares on LH) they're not worth much at all these days.
I just use some of my expiring PlusPoints on AUS-ORD. I'm collecting more not because 1K is very valuable, but because UA has suited my travel needs best this year.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm collecting more not because 1K is very valuable, but because UA has suited my travel needs best this year.
The best reason to fly UA. That's how I made 1K last year. This year it's not even close.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jsloan
I just use some of my expiring PlusPoints on AUS-ORD. I'm collecting more not because 1K is very valuable, but because UA has suited my travel needs best this year.
Yeah I'm in this position. UA is consistently the cheapest on SEA-EWR and I get the Break from Business discount. Even if I were to WFBF, UA is still $100 cheaper than AS (and $200 cheaper than DL). So, I feel bit locked to UA even if AS has the superior FFP and probably higher chance of upgrade if I were to make MVP100K.

I'll hit Platinum organically by EOY. I am really hurting for segments though if I wanted to push for 1K (weirdly enough, the spend is the easier part this late in the year).
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
I've gotten some -- not "substantial" value from PP this year. But I fly almost entirely domestic, so failing upgrades is never that big of a deal. On the other hand, I have benefited from superior IRROPS handling on at least a half-dozen occasions that got me home on time. And, as a 1MM, my wife has benefited from the same.

This is a pure YMMV question, but I think the 1K benefits I got this year were well worth a couple of grand...
Old Oct 9, 2023, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I am ex-NYC. Every year, it makes more and more sense to be a free agent - pretty much all major domestics serving my usual destinations - have status with all three alliances due to travel volume.

I could stay with United for most if not all of my flights, but then I'd have to justify costs and schedule, so the best outcome is best schedule and most optimized costs among all players. I am unlikely to renew 1K for next year use as I have shifted a good chunk of flying elsewhere. That said, it's not going to be much different at UA for me, whether I am 1K or not:

1) upgrades are difficult to clear on routes I'd frequent often
2) I board last anyway

3) I don't check bags

4) generally a solo traveler

1K has not been very beneficial for the past few years I have had it. As I mentioned time and time, if I make it, great; if not, life goes on!
Old Oct 30, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold
Just completed a trip. I am getting to the point where I don't even bother checking to see where I am on the upgrade list until boarding time.
10/23 IAH-SFO - Died at 1 of 66 on the list
10/28 SFO-IAH - Died at 1 of 25 on the list

PP applied to both. I know hub-to hub is a tough upgrade, but this was deflating.

UA has absolutely killed my desire to renew 1K. I will make Plat, and that's good enough for me as the benefits above gold are negligible, at least in my case.
Kacee and leoo like this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by HawaiiDave
Just completed a trip. I am getting to the point where I don't even bother checking to see where I am on the upgrade list until boarding time.
10/23 IAH-SFO - Died at 1 of 66 on the list
10/28 SFO-IAH - Died at 1 of 25 on the list

PP applied to both. I know hub-to hub is a tough upgrade, but this was deflating.

UA has absolutely killed my desire to renew 1K. I will make Plat, and that's good enough for me as the benefits above gold are negligible, at least in my case.
This is the reality these days and it sucks. It's doing exactly what UA wants though..... I am buying way more F than ever before, especially on the longer routes like IAH-SFO. I have an IAH-SFO flight this weekend which is currently J6.... I am inside of my "complimentary upgrade" window WITH plus points applied and I expect it to be a nail biter as to whether I clear or not. This NEVER used to be like this. Luckily I am traveling with someone so if I/we get stuck in the back, I can steal their armrest space!

For domestic business trips I often book my ticket in Y on my corp card and then immediately rebook into F using my own $$$. I am also putting PP on almost every flight that I dont buy into F. Again, NEVER had to in the past. United wins again.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by avi8tir
I am buying way more F than ever before
If I'm buying F, it's typically not on UA and its crappy 737s with no cushion left, awful food, and indifferent service. This emperor has no clothes.
HawaiiDave likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
10/28 SFO-EWR redeye. Both of us booked in Premium Plus, applied PP and both upgraded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.