Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2022, 7:46 am

Anyone else having issues with seat selection on UA's website or app? I have been trying to pick seats for several days without success. According to customer service there are problems with the IT system but I find this hard to believe.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Pinguu
Anyone else having issues with seat selection on UA's website or app? I have been trying to pick seats for several days without success. According to customer service there are problems with the IT system but I find this hard to believe.
Nope. No issues.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, Pinguu!

Originally Posted by Pinguu
According to customer service there are problems with the IT system but I find this hard to believe.
I find that the easiest thing in the world to believe.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I am booked to fly CUN-EWR-PIT tomorrow and UA just issued a change waiver. I would like to re-route CUN-IAD-PIT to avoid EWR if possible but the change function on the website is still trying to charge me a change fee for fare difference. I was wondering if there is anything specific or different I need to be doing to take advantage of the fee waiver? Thanks
If it’s not letting you make the change online, call and mention the waiver.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:50 pm

Hello all,

Need the best strategy for booking a flight from LAX to CUN for six pax. Only I have status which is 1K. We need at least two seats in the forward cabin.

Passengers are:
A - Adult 1K
B - Adult Member
C - Adult Non-member
D - Child 10 years old Member
E - Child 3 years old Member
F - Child 1 year old (lap infant) Non-member

My idea so far is:

First book two J tickets for B, D, and F.
Then on a separate PNR, book three Y tickets for A, C, and E and use PlusPoints to upgrade.
In case the upgrade doesn't clear, then A, B, and F sit up front and C, D, and E, sit in the back in Premium Economy.

I'm assuming the prices for each booking will affect the other. Should I book the J or Y tickets first? Any other suggestions on how to juggle the pax around so maximize the chances of upgrading? Ideally one of the J tickets would be for passenger A to maximize PQP earning. Does anyone see a strategy where that is possible?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:58 pm

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
My sister is flying with her family (4 total) on SFO-HNL (772HD). There are two small children in the group. I'm thinking of using PP to upgrade them from Y, and there's one row of 4 currently available. If the upgrade clears, but the group needs to be split seating wise, is it possible to refuse the upgrade since that means young children would be flying solo?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bioyuki
My sister is flying with her family (4 total) on SFO-HNL (772HD). There are two small children in the group. I'm thinking of using PP to upgrade them from Y, and there's one row of 4 currently available. If the upgrade clears, but the group needs to be split seating wise, is it possible to refuse the upgrade since that means young children would be flying solo?
The issue will be the original seat assignments will be lost. Best, if there is lots for space is to wait to check-in / avioding the split and hope to clear as a block of four. But four will be a challenge e . The other choice is to split into 2 PNRs each as Adult / Child
bioyuki and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Florida-OSL Itineraries using SA vs EL

I am redeeming MP miles for economy seat to OSL from Florida. I have narrowed down (the millions of choices) to the following:
TPA-YYZ-CPH-OSL all on SK
The SK flights have 2 hrs TPA-YYZ, 4.5Hrs YYZ-CPH

or
MCO-MAN on EI, MAN-OSL on SK
3 hr connection in MAN

I live 2.5 hrs from MCO and 1.25 hrs from TPA

Thoughts on aircraft comfort? Anyother considerations?

Last edited by mary_228; Jul 28, 2022 at 8:51 am Reason: correct errors
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The one with fewer segments unless getting to MCO is a huge hassle? Is there a particular reason you would consider the longer option?

I'm not entirely sure what airlines you are talking about, but I am assuming it's Air Canada (AC) TPA-YYZ and Aer Lingus (EI) MCO-MAN.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by findark
The one with fewer segments unless getting to MCO is a huge hassle? Is there a particular reason you would consider the longer option?

I'm not entirely sure what airlines you are talking about, but I am assuming it's Air Canada (AC) TPA-YYZ and Aer Lingus (EI) MCO-MAN.
Sorry, it is SAS from TPA to OSL, so maybe easier to make sure bags get there? Heard SAS is really "nice". But we are taking economy! The EI flight has 31-32 seat pitch vs 30-31 at SAS.

Last edited by mary_228; Jul 28, 2022 at 8:50 am Reason: correct errors
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
SK does not fly TPA-YYZ.

I am not particularly knowledgeable about the differences in Economy product between carriers, but I would generally say they are very small. You get a seat, some calories, and carriage to your destination. EI operates 2-4-2 Airbus aircraft long-haul, which are probably as favorable as you can get for seat comfort.
mary_228 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 9:35 am

SK does not fly TPA-YYZ
My itinerary say AC1655 but it says operated by Air Canada Rouge. Guess I am mixed up! Do you think this will pose a problem with luggage making it over to my SK flight?
Old Jul 28, 2022, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mary_228
My itinerary say AC1655 but it says operated by Air Canada Rouge. Guess I am mixed up! Do you think this will pose a problem with luggage making it over to my SK flight?
No, it should not be a problem. Just be aware you would check in with Air Canada in TPA and you would be on their aircraft to YYZ.
mary_228 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mary_228
My itinerary say AC1655 but it says operated by Air Canada Rouge.
SK does not fly TPA-YYZ.

I am not particularly knowledgeable about the differences in Economy product between carriers, but I would generally say they are very small.
AC Rouge is a low cost carrier and definitely to be avoided if possible. Their economy seat has a pathetic 29 inches of pitch.
flyme2, mary_228 and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
AC Rouge is a low cost carrier and definitely to be avoided if possible.
It's AC's version of TED. More low-quality than low-cost.
EmailKid, mary_228 and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.