Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Earlier. And this is the only reservation with this issue.
My bad. I thought you were trying to get E+ before check in (which Silvers cant) but now see it was just a "Preferred" seat which you are entitled to for free pre-check in
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 4:49 pm

For some reason TAP Air Portugal and United aren't getting along lately: Using MileagePlus miles on TAP has extremely limited availability.
I found a decent ORD-LIS Z/J fare direct on Google flights and will pay the cash but want to attach my United MP account to get the ~15k UA miles.
United website doesn't show these flights as even an option to book. How to I book this trip and get the United MP attached to it?
Old May 24, 2022, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LanikaiKid
How to I book this trip and get the United MP attached to it?
Book it though TP or elsewhere and just add your MP number either in the booking process or with an agent. If it's on 016 stock (doubtful if there are no UA segments), you will earn miles based on the fare. If not, you will earn miles based on distance.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This happens from time to time, such as United.com charging elites for E+??
UA handles these website / App display options using cookies and other dynamic options. Many times closing the app / browser will repair this. or clearing cookies. Of course you have the option to call, but most of the time this is clear up.

Should not matter, Silver have access at booking
It's the domestic leg of an international award ticket (long-haul is Polaris). Maybe the system thinks the domestic leg is basic economy? Reinstalling the app didn't help so I guess I'll have to call.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It's the domestic leg of an international award ticket (long-haul is Polaris). Maybe the system thinks the domestic leg is basic economy? ...
The is no concept of BE for award tickets.

Reinstalling the app didn't help so I guess I'll have to call.
Clearing cookies may be an effective approach. Using the app instead or united.com or vice versus can also work.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
The is no concept of BE for award tickets.

Clearing cookies may be an effective approach. Using the app instead or united.com or vice versus can also work.
United's website shows the same thing.
Old May 24, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
United's website shows the same thing.
OK, you have stumped me.

Your UA status is from Marriott? THat should not be an issue
Old May 25, 2022, 2:11 am

Programs: UA MM
It's the domestic leg of an international award ticket (long-haul is Polaris). Maybe the system thinks the domestic leg is basic economy? Reinstalling the app didn't help so I guess I'll have to call.
Did you follow through all the way to the payment page? Sometimes the website makes you think there’s a charge until when it comes time to pay and then it’s zero. Not saying it’s the case here but it has happened.
Old May 25, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Getting around high one-way PE fares?

Trying to book a one way LIS-SFO paid fare. (Outbound is an award ticket). Reasonable pricing on one way Economy ($918) and Biz ($2300). But Premium Economy is $2200. Adding a return flight brings it down to the more-expected $1300. But I don't want to be one of "those" people booking a flight I never intend to take. Is there a way around this, say, booking a flight-to-nowhere that I could actually take? For elite status, I do need to spend somewhere around $1400.

Normally I'd just buy the biz class seat outright and upgrade my wife using PlusPoints, but she has not status and I don't want to see it not clear. I'm OK sitting in the back if I have to (swapping seats with her) but it would be nice if we could stay together.

Thanks!
Old May 25, 2022, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Do you plan to return to Europe within the ticket validity and maximum stay of your round-trip fare? Most tickets will permit changes after departure using historical fares, so you could create the outbound leg of another European trip although this extends the problem.

Also, see if TP has decent prices?
jsloan likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:51 am

Join United Club After Tickets Are Booked

I am planning to get the United Club Infinite card in August when I drop under the Chase 5/24 rule. I am flying a short domestic trip in September, departing 3 weeks after I can apply for the credit card. The tickets are already booked, but I am not worried about the potential benefits I might be losing out on by booking without the Club Infinite card.

What I am curious about is my access to United Club on the trip. Will my United Club membership from the credit card be automatically activated on my MileagePlus account? I do not expect to receive the United Club card before I go. Assuming I actually have the United Club membership when I travel, what do I need to enter the lounge? Is my boarding pass all I need? Will my MileagePlus number attached to the reservation automatically qualify me to enter the United Club?

Also, would I be able to enter an Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge if I am a United Club member flying on United?

Thank you! I am accustomed to Priority Pass, not airline lounge memberships!
Old May 26, 2022, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by g289t
I am planning to get the United Club Infinite card in August when I drop under the Chase 5/24 rule. I am flying a short domestic trip in September, departing 3 weeks after I can apply for the credit card. The tickets are already booked, but I am not worried about the potential benefits I might be losing out on by booking without the Club Infinite card.

What I am curious about is my access to United Club on the trip. Will my United Club membership from the credit card be automatically activated on my MileagePlus account?
Yes but it can take 2 weeks to electronically activate after your application is approved

Assuming I actually have the United Club membership when I travel, what do I need to enter the lounge? Is my boarding pass all I need? Will my MileagePlus number attached to the reservation automatically qualify me to enter the United Club?
UC access does not require the physical UC card, linked electronic to your account / BP

would I be able to enter an Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge if I am a United Club member flying on United? ...
Yes, but with the physical UC member card (not the credit card) and a departing *A flight
g289t likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by findark
Do you plan to return to Europe within the ticket validity and maximum stay of your round-trip fare? Most tickets will permit changes after departure using historical fares, so you could create the outbound leg of another European trip although this extends the problem.

Also, see if TP has decent prices?
Buying a ticket through TP won't help with maintaining elite status on UA though. UA's done a pretty good job of closing the loopholes; gaining status these days pretty much requires doing things that are of actual benefit to UA. Which I really can't be upset about.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:41 am

Thank you very much; you have answered my questions!

Yes, but with the physical UC member card (not the credit card) and a departing *A flight
So on this trip I would not be able to enter a Maple Leaf Lounge because I wouldn't have the physical United Club card, correct? (unless it ships fast)

I have another question: will there be some kind of digital UC card in the United app? If so, does that not replace the physical card and get you into an AC MLL?
Old May 26, 2022, 11:55 am

... I have another question: will there be some kind of digital UC card in the United app? If so, does that not replace the physical card and get you into an AC MLL?
Yes, there is a digital card in the UA app but the rules are
You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance member airline operated flight together with your valid paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo.
The AC lounges are know for wanting the physical card. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.