Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, dave16

Two conflicting answers

1) Better to be on same PNR as the companion "inherits" your status and status is a key determination of who gets upgraded

2) Better to be on different PNRs if only 1 space opens up -- meaning you would be separated.

If you do not want to be split, single PNR is best.

Note , if you don't clear before boarding, then it is possible still to be split -- mention to the gate agent if you don't want to be split up if at the top of the displayed gate upgrade list
Appreciate the reply!

I guess my line of thinking based on my past plus points experience is that almost everyone with Plus Points on their tickets are Plat/1K/GS members and are always going to be ahead of me on the Plus Points upgrade list regardless. I figure the number of travelers with gold and below status (and not traveling with a plat/1k/GS member) having Plus Points on a booking is very low and likely zero for most flights. I didnt know if UA had a different algorithm for a single PNR with 2 travelers vs individual travelers on separate PNR's, or if its even possible to use Plus Points for a party of 2 PNR where neither of the travelers are plat or 1k.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dave16
I figure the number of travelers with gold and below status (and not traveling with a plat/1k/GS member) having Plus Points on a booking is very low and likely zero for most flights.
All instrument-supported upgrades, including miles+cash, are ranked equally so you need to consider lower-status members applying miles for an upgrade as well as the probably-larger-than-you-think pool of lower status members with generous higher-status friends. The difference between Gold and no-status priority with a supported upgrade is likely to be noticeable.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by findark
All instrument-supported upgrades, including miles+cash, are ranked equally so you need to consider lower-status members applying miles for an upgrade as well as the probably-larger-than-you-think pool of lower status members with generous higher-status friends. The difference between Gold and no-status priority with a supported upgrade is likely to be noticeable.
I didn't know miles were weighted the same as plus points, thank you!

One more question since you all are being so helpful.

Are their any general rules around when Plus Points automatically convert vs waitlist from some amount of time? What I've observed is if more than 50% of business class seats are open it tends to clear right away even when booking 2-3 days before the flight.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dave16
Are their any general rules around when Plus Points automatically convert vs waitlist from some amount of time? What I've observed is if more than 50% of business class seats are open it tends to clear right away even when booking 2-3 days before the flight.
None we are aware of or generally true. FOr some routes it always goes to the gate and for others UA may clear all but the last two at checkin and for others UA will clear earlier (especially for higher elites).
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I plan to connect via LHR or FRA from DOH on the way back to the US probably on QR but on separate tickets. The flight leaves DOH around 2am, and then I would connect to a late morning UA flight back home. I will get a test the day before so I should be covered for COVID testing even if I need to enter UK/Germany (assuming things dont change in the next month).

At LHR, QR arrives T5. I read that there is an airside bus that can get me to T2 for UA but I require my onward BP. Last month, I was able to use TRC and do OLCI and get a BP. In the even UA fails me, is there a transfer counter at T5 which would allow me to obtain a UA BP?

At FRA, if I recall, the intl flights are all out of T1. Upon arrival, is there a transfer desk which will allow me to obtain a UA BP?

What are the hours of the UA transfer desk at LHR and FRA?
If I need to exit outside, what are the hours of the UA checkin counter at LHR and FRA?

Obviously I would prefer to connect on one ticket, but there is an approx $3000 price difference so I'm looking at other options.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
Obviously I would prefer to connect on one ticket, but there is an approx $3000 price difference so I'm looking at other options.
What's the fare like for the nonstop option between PHL and DOH on QR?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Repooc17
What's the fare like for the nonstop option between PHL and DOH on QR?
Yes, there are other factors that affect the routing which are not relevant to the question that I'm actually asking
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:31 am

What are the current MP service email response times?

Have a ticket that did not credit properly (states that the name on the ticket does not match the name on the account when I try to retrocredit it, though the name actually does match - although the ticket does "glue together" the first name and the middle name, may be that's the issue).

Contacted MP by email - so far it's been 1 week without response. What are others seeing (and when will it be time to get on the phone)?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by tr3k
What are the current MP service email response times?

Have a ticket that did not credit properly (states that the name on the ticket does not match the name on the account when I try to retrocredit it, though the name actually does match - although the ticket does "glue together" the first name and the middle name, may be that's the issue).

Contacted MP by email - so far it's been 1 week without response. What are others seeing (and when will it be time to get on the phone)?
I would go ahead and call now. Without status, might be on hold a bit, so just choose some down time when you can let it sit on speaker phone.

Even if they respond to the email, I can see this being one that would take multiple cycles to get properly addressed, as the first response is likely to not address the issue. Could better get it resolved with a single phone call.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: United: Gold & Club; HERTZ Pres. Crcl; AVIS Pres.Clb; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold.
Premier Access Lanes at DEN & EWR

Originally Posted by getagb
Which of the major UA hubs (EWR, ORD, SFO, DEN, etc) still have premier access security lanes that don’t require TSA Pre or Clear?
Based upon my recent personal experience,
DEN: The First Class lane will let you through if you have Premier Status. In September 2021, I went to the First Class lane, as no Premier Access Lane was visible. The attending person said I can go through so long as I had premier status which she was able to see on my ticket. I assume it is the same thing if you purchase premier access.

EWR: A flyer in this string said it is there. I have (hastily) looked for it (many times in 2021) in Terminal C but never saw it. However, there is more than one security access point in Terminal C so I may have missed it. I looked for it primarily at the security access point nearest to C1.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Rexter
EWR: A flyer in this string said it is there. I have (hastily) looked for it (many times in 2021) in Terminal C but never saw it. However, there is more than one security access point in Terminal C so I may have missed it. I looked for it primarily at the security access point nearest to C1.
The TSA Pre line to the west; the regular line is to the east; the Premier line is in between, and gets merged with the regular line.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hi Everyone. Happy new year. I have three trans con tickets scheduled, and just completed an additional one. The new ones are a combination of Q, W, and T class. When I go to the "upgrade cabin" link (to buy an upgrade with money) , it says that the itineraries are not eligible for an upgrade (not that there are no upgrades). FYI I have put plus points down on each of the itineraries. Any idea why no option for paid upgrade?
1. I don't think it is my fare class or the fact that I put plus points down. I had a low fare class and and plus point on the ticket last week, and a money-based upgrade was always available.
2. There appear to be plenty of F seats - some of the tickets are 2-3 months out.

Any thoughts? I haven't had this message before.

One last question to clarify: when you upgrade with money, the $$$ count towards status, correct
Old Jan 16, 2022, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The website usually won't offer a paid upgrade when you have a supported upgrade waitlisted. Perhaps because I don't think the computer knows how to delete the waitlisted segment if you buy the upgrade.

Yes, paid upgrades count for PQP, but you do not earn RDM for them.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
The website usually won't offer a paid upgrade when you have a supported upgrade waitlisted. Perhaps because I don't think the computer knows how to delete the waitlisted segment if you buy the upgrade. ....
I am seeing offers even with waitlisted upgrades more often, either by scrolling over the seatmap or selecting the upgrade tab

More to the point upgrade offers, even without a waitlisted instrument, are not always available. why?? who knows.

Note some differences have been noted between the app and online. Worth checking both.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:48 am

United 1K member with a question.

I found the following fare being sold by LH BOS-MCT. It is not offered by UA.
LH7451 BOS IAD operated by UA
LH9051 IAD FRA operated by UA
LH9596 FRA MCT operated by WY

If the ticket is purchased through LH, on LH code share flight numbers but is operated by UA, how is mileage actual calculated as well as plus points. From what I saw on the UA site it will be based off the fare. Also the 1500 plus point limit doesn't apply (star alliance partners) since the first 2 flights are UA operated.
Is this correct? Or will it end up being calculated based off distance /5 since its LH flight numbers on a codeshare.

Thanks. Trying to maximize the mileage accrual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.