Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PlusPoints Polaris flight upgrade SUCCESS 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PlusPoints Polaris flight upgrade SUCCESS 2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: United
Hello All,

Looking for help on this one. We are 8 days out and still NO movement as of yet, oddly enough our upgrade on the flight home Dec 13th cleared already, but not the flight there.

1. Route: IAD-LHR
2. Date: 12/7
3. Fare class: Currently 4 of us in Premium Plus (R)
5. Used miles +Cash for upgrade
6. How many days/weeks in advance ticket was purchased: Booked in July
7.How many hours/days/weeks before departure did upgrade clear: Return flight on the 13th cleared to Polaris already, but not the flight going over. Current seat map shows 25 open in Polaris and the main cabin looks wide open as well. Any insight?
Old Nov 29, 2022, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
1. Route: ORD-GRU
2. Date: 12/7
3. Fare class: R
4. O-J
5. # of PlusPoints: 30
6. How many days/weeks in advance ticket was purchased: February 2022 (9 months ago)
7. How many hours/days/weeks before departure did upgrade clear: cleared 8 days before departure, FINALLY

Last edited by leoo; Dec 5, 2022 at 7:53 pm
Old Nov 29, 2022, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Skyking517
Hello All,

Looking for help on this one. We are 8 days out and still NO movement as of yet, oddly enough our upgrade on the flight home Dec 13th cleared already, but not the flight there.
I think you'll have more luck with this thread:
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Posting the exact flight (there are two IAD-LHR on Dec 7) and Mileage Plus status helps.

Here we only report cleared upgrades.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 10:55 am
Used to be 'thiti'

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir
1. Route: DEN-MUC
2. Date: 12/26/2022
3. Fare class: T
4. Y-J
5. # of PlusPoints: 320 for 4 pax
6. How many days/weeks in advance ticket was purchased: 8 weeks
7. How many hours/days/weeks before departure did upgrade clear: 4 weeks
cfischer, Santander and jasonp622 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 2:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
1. Fra-ewr
2. 12/11
3. R
4. O-j
5. 20
6. 9/14
7. 12/1
cfischer likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
1. EWR-W Europe
2. Dec 9
3. T
4. Y -> J
5. 80
6. 5 days
7. Overnight, after ticketing

Flight was J9...PN9 PZ0 when I booked. I knew the upgrade was a slam dunk but I checked using the date adjust feature of the website and saw myself at #1. Overnight I got upgraded along with several others as the flight went down to J6. Interestingly the flight is still showing PZ2 now.

I still have over 500 PPs to burn by July 2023 so might as well do it with these very cheap fares to parts of W Europe in winter.

Return flight is currently J9...PN9 PZ0 so I imagine I'm at/near the top with 20+ seats open.
cfischer likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
what’s the date adjust feature?

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
1. EWR-W Europe
2. Dec 9
3. T
4. Y -> J
5. 80
6. 5 days
7. Overnight, after ticketing

Flight was J9...PN9 PZ0 when I booked. I knew the upgrade was a slam dunk but I checked using the date adjust feature of the website and saw myself at #1. Overnight I got upgraded along with several others as the flight went down to J6. Interestingly the flight is still showing PZ2 now.

I still have over 500 PPs to burn by July 2023 so might as well do it with these very cheap fares to parts of W Europe in winter.

Return flight is currently J9...PN9 PZ0 so I imagine I'm at/near the top with 20+ seats open.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
1. Route: IAH-SYD
2. Date: 12/2
3. Fare class: A
4. O -> J
5. # of Plus Points: 30
6. How many days/weeks in advance ticket was purchased: 3 months
7. How many hours/days/weeks before departure did upgrade clear: 2 hours before departure
vg247 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 6:27 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
what’s the date adjust feature?
Change the date of your smart phone to your travel date and open United.com for checking flight status. This works if your travel date is within seven days. Good luck.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 6:35 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
wow cool it worked !
Thanks

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Change the date of
your smart phone to your travel date and open United.com for checking flight status. This works if your travel date is within seven days. Good luck.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 1:26 pm

Had an interesting clearance earlier today, either this was all coincidental timing, or something triggered the system to reevaluate upgrade inventory for release.

T-48 FRA-SFO had already cleared to RN only (PZ never requested). Now wanted to waitlist for PZ while maintaining RN space which is a problem in its own right as first agent said this wasn't possible. Different agent took care of it.

Flight was J9P2PN0PZ0, O5R2RN0 but agent on the phone agreed to work with the support desk to preserve the RN space while relisting the request. In the time it took to put it back into the economy fare/redeposit 20 plus points, apparently the upgrade space was released, as when the request was relisted it showed immediately available to (and did) confirm into Polaris for 40 plus points, even though nothing was available moments before. Even after the upgrade cleared the flight was now showing PN1 PZ1 RN1.

So either this was all done right as the system was doing a sweep to release upgrade space, or messing with the reservation/upgrade requests somehow triggered the inventory management system to reevaluate the upgrade allotments for the flight. Either way, ended up with a PZ clearance.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Had an interesting clearance earlier today, either this was all coincidental timing, or something triggered the system to reevaluate upgrade inventory for release.

T-48 FRA-SFO had already cleared to RN only (PZ never requested). Now wanted to waitlist for PZ while maintaining RN space which is a problem in its own right as first agent said this wasn't possible. Different agent took care of it.

Flight was J9P2PN0PZ0, O5R2RN0 but agent on the phone agreed to work with the support desk to preserve the RN space while relisting the request. In the time it took to put it back into the economy fare/redeposit 20 plus points, apparently the upgrade space was released, as when the request was relisted it showed immediately available to (and did) confirm into Polaris for 40 plus points, even though nothing was available moments before. Even after the upgrade cleared the flight was now showing PN1 PZ1 RN1.

So either this was all done right as the system was doing a sweep to release upgrade space, or messing with the reservation/upgrade requests somehow triggered the inventory management system to reevaluate the upgrade allotments for the flight. Either way, ended up with a PZ clearance.
Do you think that help desk might open up PZ space for this addition of PlusPoints? The first agent might be correct that PlusPoints could not be pulled twice for the same Polaris upgrade. My colleague had a similar situation but gate agent could not get it working. He eventually gave up.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Do you think that help desk might open up PZ space for this addition of PlusPoints? The first agent might be correct that PlusPoints could not be pulled twice for the same Polaris upgrade. My colleague had a similar situation but gate agent could not get it working. He eventually gave up.
No because the support desk doesn't have the ability to change the actual inventory levels - only revenue management systems control inventory allocations. When the support desk is "opening space" they aren't manipulating the inventory allotments for the flight, but rather they are forcing the booking code to be accepted even though the allotment for it is 0. The fact the actual inventory on the flight changed, even after the upgrade was done still showing PN1, PZ1, RN1, says something else was at work beyond just the support desk being available to assist.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 4:11 pm

1. Route: SFO to TPE
2. Date: 12/29/2022
3. Fare class: W
4. Y-J
5. # of PlusPoints: 40
7. How many hours/days/weeks before departure did upgrade clear: 2.5 weeks (upgraded sometime this morning)

lots of PNs for the longest time (almost wanted to buy up to R but R wasn’t available) R is now available but was upgraded so it doesn’t matter. P9 now with no PNs
Old Dec 11, 2022, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
1. Route: SYD-IAH
2. Date: 12/13
3. Fare class: A
4. O -> J
5. # of Plus Points: 30
7. How many hours/days/weeks before departure did upgrade clear: T-24

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.