Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 22, 3:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 20, 22, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Chris2013 View Post
well damn…right now there are 5 seats left in F and the flight is next week so what do you think my chances are if scoring an upgrade?
During Thanksgiving holiday and in the time of WFBF, unlikely. Maybe, if you are flying are on Thanksgiving day.

David

Last edited by DELee; Nov 20, 22 at 1:46 pm Reason: fix word
Old Nov 20, 22, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA
Looking for strategy on upgrade + SDC:
I'm on a 8am flight with plus points applied, but I knew there was no chance of upgrading(J2).
There is also a 6am flight with P9. So I thought I could SDC when it becomes available and easily get upgraded. However when I woke up at 6am the day before, I realized the system had already cleared many people into J, so there is only J1 left.
I'm wondering if there is a better strategy to handle this in the future.
Old Nov 20, 22, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by fattygoose View Post
Looking for strategy on upgrade + SDC:
I'm on a 8am flight with plus points applied, but I knew there was no chance of upgrading(J2).
There is also a 6am flight with P9. So I thought I could SDC when it becomes available and easily get upgraded. However when I woke up at 6am the day before, I realized the system had already cleared many people into J, so there is only J1 left.
I'm wondering if there is a better strategy to handle this in the future.
Your target flight must be later than your original flight to have a slight chance for getting this SDC strategy to work. UA clears upgrades down to 2 seats at T-24 h. So, you may have a minute or two to do SDC on App and hope that UA does not clear upgrade at exactly T-24h. If your target flight is earlier, your SDC window will be at less than T-24 h window.
Old Nov 20, 22, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
UA clears upgrades down to 2 seats at T-24 h.
When does the next clearance happen? T-2h?
Old Nov 20, 22, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Boarding if still 1 or 2 seats.....
Old Nov 20, 22, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If there are unsold seats, upgrades into those seats will typically be processed around T-40 minutes. No shows won't be processed until the flight is closed, usually at the very end of the boarding process.
Old Nov 23, 22, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
If there are unsold seats, upgrades into those seats will typically be processed around T-40 minutes. No shows won't be processed until the flight is closed, usually at the very end of the boarding process.
Is that T-40 flight time?

My last 2 flights DEN-IAD and IAD-DEN a few days ago, I had to ask GA during early pre-board if they were going to finish clearing the upgrade list. I was #1 on both (IAD-DEN was PP waitlist) and waiting for the last seat.
Old Nov 23, 22, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 2ptraveler View Post
Is that T-40 flight time?
T-anything refers to time to scheduled departure.

My last 2 flights DEN-IAD and IAD-DEN a few days ago, I had to ask GA during early pre-board if they were going to finish clearing the upgrade list. I was #1 on both (IAD-DEN was PP waitlist) and waiting for the last seat.
Were they unsold or potential no shows? Usually the GAs will clear pax into unsold seats around T-40, but if the GAs aren't on top of things, it may not happen until later. Or the seats may fly empty if the GAs totally blow it (doesn't happen very often these days).
2ptraveler likes this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 12:09 am

T-anything refers to time to scheduled departure.

Were they unsold or potential no shows? Usually the GAs will clear pax into unsold seats around T-40, but if the GAs aren't on top of things, it may not happen until later. Or the seats may fly empty if the GAs totally blow it (doesn't happen very often these days).
Assuming unsold as the seats showed empty, though I understand some do book and don't pick seats. Considering they did clear them before boarding closed, I believe my assumption was either valid or they missed check-in cutoff.

I've been on some flights with empty F seats. The 1k's I saw pre-board and sitting in the back were probably none to happy. Equipment didn't look broken and the app showed them available.
Old Nov 24, 22, 9:21 am

Assuming unsold as the seats showed empty
Not a safe assumption at all. You have to check flight status to see if it's booked or not. An empty seat on seat map would be fully consistent with a no-show - someone who holds a ticket but hasn't bothered to reserve a seat. They won't process those until late in the boarding process.
Old Nov 24, 22, 4:55 pm

Not a safe assumption at all. You have to check flight status to see if it's booked or not. An empty seat on seat map would be fully consistent with a no-show - someone who holds a ticket but hasn't bothered to reserve a seat. They won't process those until late in the boarding process.
Assumptions included 15/16 showing booked and one open seat.

Don't know how else it could have been.
Old Nov 25, 22, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Standard sweep I believe for today's SFO - SBA flight. 4-5 people cleared about 2 days out, and 10 min after I checked in at T-24, someone else and I cleared as Golds, leaving 2 empty seats (assumed the other person was a Gold, and there were about 10 on the standby list after us). The last two seats were cleared around 45 min before departure.
Old Nov 25, 22, 7:21 pm

Assumptions included 15/16
New information. Previously you just said "seats showed empty." An "empty" seat is not the same as an "unsold" seat.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread