Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PlusPoints Polaris flight upgrade SUCCESS 2022

PlusPoints Polaris flight upgrade SUCCESS 2022

Old Nov 5, 2022, 3:28 pm
  #106  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: IAD
Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Posts: 433
1.Route: GVA-IAD
2. Date: 11/12
3. Fare class: S
4. Y-J
5. # of Plus Points: 80
6. How many days/weeks in advance ticket was purchased: 10 days
7. How many hours/days/weeks before departure did upgrade clear: 8 days

Last edited by lotemblizej; Nov 9, 2022 at 7:38 pm
lotemblizej is offline  
Old Nov 6, 2022, 11:21 am
  #107  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 158
1.Route: IAD-LHR
2. Date: 11/4
3. Fare class: A
4. A>J
5. # of Plus Points: 30
6. How many days/weeks in advance ticket was purchased: 6 weeks
7. How many hours/days/weeks before departure did upgrade clear: 60 hours
contractor is offline  
Old Nov 6, 2022, 11:22 am
  #108  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Posts: 1,102
Success—sort of

1. Route: ORD-DEL
2. Date: Nov 5, 2022
3. Fare class O
4. O-J
5. 40 PlusPoints
6. How many days/weeks in advance ticket was purchased 6 weeks out
7. How many hours/days/weeks before departure did upgrade clear; DOD, at boarding so no Polaris Lounge access.
tryathlete is offline  
Old Nov 9, 2022, 11:20 am
  #109  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CHI
Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National EE
Posts: 3,840
1. Route: ORD-LHR
2. Date: 11/10
3. Fare class: R
4. O -> J
5. # of Plus Points: 30
6. How many days/weeks in advance ticket was purchased: 1 day
7. How many hours/days/weeks before departure did upgrade clear: Instantly

Needed to change routing - I actually downgraded myself from ORD-LHR-DUB in P on 11/11 to ORD-LHR in R on 11/10 and used PP to upgrade myself back to the J cabin. Got $65 back in credit.
Santander is offline  
Old Nov 9, 2022, 6:40 pm
  #110  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, AMEX Plat, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 117
1. Route: SFO-FRA
2. Date: 11/15
3. Fare class: R
4. O -> J
5. # of Plus Points: 30
6. How many days/weeks in advance ticket was purchased: 17 weeks
7. How many hours/days/weeks before departure did upgrade clear: 10 days
globetrotter415 is offline  
Old Nov 9, 2022, 11:40 pm
  #111  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Programs: United Mileage Plus
Posts: 666
Originally Posted by globetrotter415
1. Route: SFO-FRA
2. Date: 11/15
3. Fare class: R
4. O -> J
5. # of Plus Points: 30
6. How many days/weeks in advance ticket was purchased: 17 weeks
7. How many hours/days/weeks before departure did upgrade clear: 10 days
So you waited 15-16 weeks not knowing if the upgrade would clear.

Were you prepared to ride in the back if the upgrade didn't clear?
frappant is offline  
Old Nov 10, 2022, 12:22 am
  #112  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,194
Originally Posted by frappant
So you waited 15-16 weeks not knowing if the upgrade would clear.

Were you prepared to ride in the back if the upgrade didn't clear?
R isn't in the back, it is PremPlus
globetrotter415 likes this.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:21 pm
  #113  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Programs: United Mileage Plus
Posts: 666
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
R isn't in the back, it is PremPlus

Back-ish then.
frappant is offline  
Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:43 pm
  #114  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,194
Originally Posted by frappant
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
R isn't in the back, it is PremPlus

Back-ish then.
Have you tried it?
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:42 pm
  #115  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Programs: United Mileage Plus
Posts: 666
No that's why I'm trying to understand the approach.

I have Plus Points for the first time. Do I book PremPlus, which are about half of business class on TATL flights, and be willing to gamble that the upgrade clears out of SFO?

Because many members here and elsewhere have said upgrades are very difficult out of SFO.
frappant is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:18 am
  #116  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 4,894
1. Route: SFO-TPE
2. Date: 11/23
3. Fare class: R
4. O -> J
5. # of Plus Points: 30
6. How many days/weeks in advance ticket was purchased: 2 weeks *
7. How many hours/days/weeks before departure did upgrade clear: within 24 of booking

* family members were waitlisted (on separate reservations) on a W fare since September. PN positive. Rebooked 2 into R when R opened up. cleared within 24 hours of rebooking in PZ while PN still positive. one person still in W did not clear, but it appears R opened up tonight so rebooked W into R. fingers crossed it will clear tomorrow.
myperks is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:56 am
  #117  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Programs: United Mileage Plus
Posts: 666
For those who've been able to upgrade TATL from Premium Plus, can it be any PP fare, such as those returned on Google Flights?

Or should I be looking for Premium Plus fares of a specific class?

For next summer, it appears PP fares from SFO to Europe are about $2400-2500 and business class fares for the same routes and dates are $4100 plus or minus a couple hundred.

This is just looking on GF.
frappant is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2022, 2:15 am
  #118  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,194
Originally Posted by frappant
.. Do I book PremPlus, which are about half of business class on TATL flights, and be willing to gamble that the upgrade clears out of SFO?....
Yes but purchasing PremPlus improves your chances and if you fail, you got a better more tolerable seat than economy seat
Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience


Originally Posted by frappant
For those who've been able to upgrade TATL from Premium Plus, can it be any PP fare, such as those returned on Google Flights?....
Yes O , A or R the Polaris priority for non-GS is paid PremPlus fare (any), status, actual PremPlus fare O is highest, R is lowest


Originally Posted by frappant
PP fares from SFO to Europe are about $2400-2500
Sounds like A fares, R fares should be $1,500-2,000
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2022, 11:44 am
  #119  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 4,894
Originally Posted by myperks
1. Route: SFO-TPE
2. Date: 11/23
3. Fare class: R
4. O -> J
5. # of Plus Points: 30
6. How many days/weeks in advance ticket was purchased: 2 weeks *
7. How many hours/days/weeks before departure did upgrade clear: within 24 of booking

* family members were waitlisted (on separate reservations) on a W fare since September. PN positive. Rebooked 2 into R when R opened up. cleared within 24 hours of rebooking in PZ while PN still positive. one person still in W did not clear, but it appears R opened up tonight so rebooked W into R. fingers crossed it will clear tomorrow.
cleared in the last hour or so after rebooking another reservation into R class last night when W class was waitlisted since September. Could just be a coincidence but seems like there is a “mystery” bucket for PremPlus fares into PZ when PN is positive (and no PZ)
myperks is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2022, 11:49 am
  #120  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,194
Originally Posted by myperks
cleared in the last hour or so after rebooking another reservation into R class last night when W class was waitlisted since September. Could just be a coincidence but seems like there is a “mystery” bucket for PremPlus fares into PZ when PN is positive (and no PZ)
It has always been possible to clear PZ with not visible PZ
SPN Lifer likes this.
WineCountryUA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.