Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Oh I know, just hope springs eternal.. and yes I did the trip both ways in March and coming back there was ice cream.. I might actually log a complaint this time about the TimTam.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:24 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by 1kBill

A Korean Mallo Cup for dessert. Simply appalling for business class.

That looks exactly like a certain Japanese prepackaged cake snack sold in supermarkets here. It's basically an Asian version of Twinkies or Ho Hos. A nice treat to put in a small child's lunch box, but atrocious as a dessert in long haul business class.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
That looks exactly like a certain Japanese prepackaged cake snack sold in supermarkets here. It's basically an Asian version of Twinkies or Ho Hos. A nice treat to put in a small child's lunch box, but atrocious as a dessert in long haul business class.
Moon pie actually. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Pie
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:39 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by seat38a
Wow, I did not know that! The ones in Japan are more cake-like, though. The Wikipedia entry says they're made with graham cookies. Still a terrible dessert for Polaris, though...

BTW, I just visited the AA thread about their international biz class meals. It's a whole different universe over there. Multiple courses, nice printed menus, real desserts presented nicely, and plates that don't look like dog dishes...
PACLipper and zeer0 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 10:44 am

04/23 bcn-ewr 767-400 er

Old seats and they were cramped even for my wife at 5'9". This was row 1.

No mask mandate and the head purser didn't wear one. A few of the crew wore them but the reserve pilot didn't.

PDB was mimosa or water. The crew were quite attentive and drinks refill done on request.

No paper menu, choice of beef, chicken or vegetarian and drinks order post departure was taken, served with warm nuts.

Single-tray lunch with vanilla ice cream for dessert. No discernable sauce with beef but it was soft and moist, not bad. The salad was good.

Mid flight snack was something that looked like a burger, fruit tray and a muffin. Nothing memorable

Global Entry in EWR is facial recognition, no need to scan passport. No mask mandate at the airport or in the Polaris lounge. They were serving Prisoner red blend at the bar. The Portuguese chicken at the buffet was decent.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: United Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Wow, I did not know that! The ones in Japan are more cake-like, though. The Wikipedia entry says they're made with graham cookies. Still a terrible dessert for Polaris, though...

BTW, I just visited the AA thread about their international biz class meals. It's a whole different universe over there. Multiple courses, nice printed menus, real desserts presented nicely, and plates that don't look like dog dishes...
The Japanese one's you're think of are Choco Pies. I like 'em just fine — but not appropriate for business class when they cost ¥150.
Unimatrix One likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Is it me or is that a very, very generous pour of red?!

Originally Posted by pnsnkr
Old seats and they were cramped even for my wife at 5'9". This was row 1.

No mask mandate and the head purser didn't wear one. A few of the crew wore them but the reserve pilot didn't.

PDB was mimosa or water. The crew were quite attentive and drinks refill done on request.

No paper menu, choice of beef, chicken or vegetarian and drinks order post departure was taken, served with warm nuts.

Single-tray lunch with vanilla ice cream for dessert. No discernable sauce with beef but it was soft and moist, not bad. The salad was good.

Microwave, bmwe92fan and seat38a like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:25 am

Any recent NRT > LAX or EWR > NRT flyers? (We are a rare breed, I know.) The few photos I've seen are...disappointing to say the least. I mostly hope the cheese platter returns.

Last time flying out of Japan was in Dec. 2019 when I did SFO to KIX, and the food was outstanding. Beautiful tableware. Great JP food options.

But mainly, my cheese and fruit plate...I need it back.

I'm not flying until late May / mid June, so fingers crossed.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by cczzll
Any recent NRT > LAX or EWR > NRT flyers? (We are a rare breed, I know.) The few photos I've seen are...disappointing to say the least. I mostly hope the cheese platter returns.

Last time flying out of Japan was in Dec. 2019 when I did SFO to KIX, and the food was outstanding. Beautiful tableware. Great JP food options.

But mainly, my cheese and fruit plate...I need it back.

I'm not flying until late May / mid June, so fingers crossed.
My wife and I do this monthly - well lately it's been more my wife lol.. She flew EWR - NRT a few weeks ago and said no change -- and is returning this Monday so I'll ask her to report... The only good thing to report is that instead of being one of maybe 10 people in J the flights are now nearly full in J -- so hopefully that causes a shift in catering mindset (we can always hope, right?)...
cczzll likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
Is it me or is that a very, very generous pour of red?!
Yes, indeed! We were quite surprised as well.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by pnsnkr
Yes, indeed! We were quite surprised as well.
There are two types of customers that get that pour -- those they like and those they want to put to sleep....
pnsnkr, seat38a and MarkyMarc like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
My wife and I do this monthly - well lately it's been more my wife lol.. She flew EWR - NRT a few weeks ago and said no change -- and is returning this Monday so I'll ask her to report... The only good thing to report is that instead of being one of maybe 10 people in J the flights are now nearly full in J -- so hopefully that causes a shift in catering mindset (we can always hope, right?)...
here’s hoping! Fingers crossed. At least the PL is open at EWR again.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by cczzll
Any recent NRT > LAX or EWR > NRT flyers?
I flew SFO-NRT last week. Choice of sparkling wine or orange juice before takeoff. A ramekin of mixed nuts and beverage was served just prior to dinner. Polaris was about 80% full. I was served by two super-senior FAs, one was in no mood to provide service. She rolled her eyes when I asked what kind of champagne they were serving (Nicolas Feuillatte). The short rib for dinner and egg quiche before landing were very good. The single cookie for dessert was pathetic. Only snacks available mid-flight were leftover nuts, potato chips, gummy bears, etc.

Beef short rib for dinner with carrots and horsey-mashed potatoes. Bread was slightly warm. No appetizer and only dessert was the cookie. Other meal choices were salmon and ravioli.

Egg and spinach quiche with sausages for breakfast. "Croissant" was room temperature. Other choice was French toast.
restlessinRNO and bebouchard like this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 1:09 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
For those asking about what Polaris service and menu will be delivered on an upcoming flight, this will help. There are three different types of service format being delivered in Polaris at this time:

Flights to/from TLV and DEL/BOM have the brand new multi-course Polaris menu options, including printed menus as you see above
Select flights to/from FRA and LHR have the multi-step meal service, which means old entree options but a bread basket and expanded dessert service with cheese / cake / pre-topped ice-cream … sometimes this includes a printed menu
All other routes have the same single tray service, old entrees, packaged bread, sorbet / cookie or equivalent for dessert. No menus.

The rollout timeline for the new service to other markets is not yet known, and will depend on FA and customer surveys from the above. Hopefully more markets will go live with one of the revised services across the Summer.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
UA 925 (LHR - IAD)
440pm departure

Choice of dinner was presented as: beef short ribs, chicken, or pasta. Purser came around to take orders and described each in detail but I am forgetting now. Took top two choices and had no issue giving me the beef short ribs. Presented on a single tray -- so this flight at least didn't have the new expanded multi-step meal service

Pre-landing was a Beef Wellington burger thing or something else (forgetting exactly now). The Beef Wellington thing was really tasty (although probably 5000 calories) and served with a blueberry muffin and fruit salad.

Great FAs -- made multiple runs and were happy to oblige on champagne top ups (Duval Leroy, saw the bottle) and Glenfarclas 12 scotch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.