2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Old Apr 20, 22, 3:08 pm

CDG - IAD, April 5th

No preflight drink.
they served one round of drinks (with nuts), every other drink I had to get by my self
food was same same
salmon
chicken
beef
Went for beef - by surprise it came with mushroom sauce (I’m allergic). I asked before but they said they wouldn’t know. Well…. They should have seen. Side was actually over cooked rice.
no other option offered
snack: chips & cookies

skipped the second meal as I used the PL in DC.

overall - another poor performance of United
Old Apr 20, 22, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
I hate those sandwiches. The mid flight grilled cheese with tomato soup was my favorite airline meal of all time. Fingers crossed they bring it back.
Old Apr 20, 22, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
For whatever reason, LHR-ORD doesn't seem to be part of the trial, despite the memo indicating it is.
Is this a recent development? I flew LHR-ORD back at the end of Feb and received the "trial" service

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang View Post
FA strongly recommended against my midflight request for an econ meal, offered me the sandwich instead, it's better than the one from 3 months ago, actual chunks of chicken and FA had a few warming in the oven.
If Polaris meals are this bad, I do wonder how bad the econ meal is. Mid-Flight, I figure something is better than nothing though. Maybe not

Originally Posted by qukslvr619 View Post
If the food was decent, and not the equivalent of something that would be served in Y, I wouldn't have beef (no pun intended) with the casserole dish. But the portions are smaller (in order to fit in the dish), the food doesn't cook evenly resulting in cold or burnt items (vegetable/sides really should be separate from meat when heated up), and it's by no means a premium offering. The excuse of it being a result of cutting staffing is ridiculous. The FA's still have to pull food out of the ovens and put it on a tray; if they did it the old way by plopping a cup of vegetables and/or side, and then doing the same with the meat/protein/pasta its not going to add 30 mins of extra effort. They've cut so many other elements that the whole service flow drinks/meal/collect could be done in half of the time than it was being done during the BusinessFirst and early Polaris days. They could easily improve what's offered and still have a shorter service flow than pre-CoVid.
That's what I was trying to say. There are many things that can be done to improve things without adding an FA. I remember when a single FA in domestic F would scoop ice cream into a glass and put on the toppings you wanted in the galley, then bring it to your seat in a cabin with like 20 people. Different FA's work at different speeds. I recall my last flight, the someone told the head FA she was fast as she was able to take care of 4 seats in the while the other person was still working on the first. Regardless of staffing, it certainly does not take an extra FA to put a pre-packaged container of ice cream on a tray instead of a Kit Kat. It's easy for corporate to make cuts and come up with a flimsy excuse, especially when you have no shame.
Xyzzy, rittenhousesq and zeer0 like this.

Last edited by eng3; Apr 20, 22 at 10:26 pm
Old Apr 21, 22, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Millionmilesgirl View Post
No preflight drink.
they served one round of drinks (with nuts), every other drink I had to get by my self
One drink service on an 8 hour flight is crazy. I’m about to take this route, did you have water waiting for you at your seat?
Old Apr 21, 22, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by OhioBoiler View Post
One drink service on an 8 hour flight is crazy. I’m about to take this route, did you have water waiting for you at your seat?
Every intl flight I've taken has had a bottle of water at the seat and/or one handed out at some point (usually after dinner). Under rare lazy circumstances, when asked for my drink order and I respond "water", the FA will "remind" me I have a bottle vs pouring on for me in a glass.
fed planner and OhioBoiler like this.
Old Apr 21, 22, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
If Polaris meals are this bad, I do wonder how bad the econ meal is. Mid-Flight, I figure something is better than nothing though. Maybe not
The economy entree has been the same for at least the last 5+ years, quality and flavor have been great IMO. Even when there were hot bites available in Polaris, an econ entree would give it a run for its money.
Old Apr 21, 22, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
Every intl flight I've taken has had a bottle of water at the seat and/or one handed out at some point (usually after dinner). Under rare lazy circumstances, when asked for my drink order and I respond "water", the FA will "remind" me I have a bottle vs pouring on for me in a glass.
I heard and saw and FA do that to someone on Polaris transcontinental and I thought it was incredibly bad service. Serve the person a glass with some still water - how hard is it?

The economy entree has been the same for at least the last 5+ years, quality and flavor have been great IMO. Even when there were hot bites available in Polaris, an econ entree would give it a run for its money.
I found the economy meals to be serviceable. The special meals tend to give more food, but they seem not change up much. I was tired of the Kosher meal I kept getting. They definitely look better than that sandwich. I think it is more the Polaris meals going towards economy meal status, but its inexcusable because of the cost of business class and the better competition.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 21, 22 at 8:16 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 21, 22, 8:44 pm

Good to know. I remember getting the Y meal on PS routes in E+ and I did not like them at all. Some sort of pasta with so much sauce it looked like soup and a chicken with frozen mixed veg​​​​​​​

Originally Posted by CApreppie View Post
I heard and saw and FA do that to someone on Polaris transcontinental and I thought it was incredibly bad service. Serve the person a glass with some still water - how hard is it?

I found the economy meals to be serviceable. The special meals tend to give more food, but they seem not change up much. I was tired of the Kosher meal I kept getting. They definitely look better than that sandwich. I think it is more the Polaris meals going towards economy meal status, but its inexcusable because of the cost of business class and the better competition.
I hear that in domestic F and Y all the time when you get the little snack bag with the water in it.

Yeah, when intl J drops below domestic F of other airlines, it's def not competitive. I guess they're selling enough tickets.

Last edited by eng3; Apr 21, 22 at 8:52 pm
Old Apr 22, 22, 9:15 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CApreppie View Post
I found the economy meals to be serviceable. The special meals tend to give more food, but they seem not change up much. I was tired of the Kosher meal I kept getting.
Many of the Economy entrees are done in a central facility and flash frozen, then distributed around the network and used over a period of months. There’s an Italian company called Sabatelli that did this for UA for a long time - they’d do a massive production run of pasta, the breakfast every quarter. The benefit is the consistency, as you say.
Old Apr 22, 22, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
More garbage Polaris meals ...

EWR-LHR, April 14
Choice of short rib, salmon, or ravioli in red sauce for dinner
French toast or quiche before landing

AMS-EWR, April 22
Choice of steak and eggs, omelet with ham, or waffles for breakfast
Hamburger Wellington or couscous with roasted vegetables and pesto before landing

thejaredhuang likes this.
Old Apr 22, 22, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
SFO-PPT April 2022

UA115 SFO-PPT:

Very friendly and helpful purser

PDB of sparkling wine or water (no OJ) served in real glassware. No menus
First separate drink service with warm mixed nuts:

Lunch was the standard ex-SFO pandemic meal choices of beef, chicken or salmon:

Not great but edible

Pre-arrival meal - No choice - veggie curry with coconut rice; tasted like mushy baby food:

Old Apr 22, 22, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Same meals on offer SFO-ICN April 2022

Originally Posted by rch4u View Post
More garbage Polaris meals ...

EWR-LHR, April 14
Choice of short rib, salmon, or ravioli in red sauce for dinner
French toast or quiche before landing

Now I don't have to upload photos of the meals on the SFO-ICN flight a few weeks ago. However, I thought the short rib was pretty good.
FA on the flight had a sheet of paper with pictures of the meals.
Here is a shot of the red wines on the flight:

I tasted the three wines and preferred the Gine. I never saw the port being served and I don't know what it would have been served with as there was no cheese plate or chocolate to pair it with.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Apr 23, 22, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .56 MM, United & Admirals Clubs, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 1kBill View Post
Here is a shot of the red wines on the flight:

I tasted the three wines and preferred the Gine. I never saw the port being served and I don't know what it would have been served with as there was no cheese plate or chocolate to pair it with.
The Giné Giné is half Grenache and half Carignan.

Thank you. It is nice to be able to research one's wine choices before boarding, making the Friendly Skies that much more amiable.

https://builgine.com/en/wines/gine-gine/
Microwave likes this.
Old Apr 23, 22, 11:53 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
PPT-SFO April 2022

PPT-SFO 9:10pm departure; 8:20am arrival

No qualified purser on the trip; a regular FA was put in the purser position so no typical purser interaction or greetings etc

PDB of sparkling wine or water only; real glassware used.
Pre-meal drink service with real glassware but no nuts.

Dinner was a choice of beef, chicken or ravioli; no menus:

This was the chicken…pretty much inedible. Worse than most Coach meals. No ice cream but the dessert tart was the best part of the meal

Pre-arrival meal: vegetarian panini; no other choices.

Veggie panini, fruits and a chocolate muffin
Old Apr 23, 22, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
What on earth is the food item next to the chicken and green beans? I assume some side of starch?

Search this Thread