Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mgobluetex
It is restaurant quality. Just so happens that the restaurant equivalent is Golden Corral
Golden Corral may have an valid claim in denying their food is as bad as United's can be. I've seen some pictures of meals here that would make me want GC food/choices.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 5, 2022 at 6:59 pm
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:01 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
UA27 DEN/LHR Aug 3

Pre departure beverage offered. Then warm nuts and drink cart. No Glenfarklas available, FA said she haven’t seen any for a few weeks. Supply chain/COVID/Staff shortages/Pelosi Taiwan trip likely the excuses. We’re in Edinburgh atm, no shortage of SM Scotch here!

We had appetizers at Elways in DEN so we weren’t real hungry but I stepped to the edge of the cliff and ordered spinach flan. Actually, quite tasty and flavorful. The color was a bit off-putting but I enjoyed the new meal change. Mrs DEN had the chicken. It looked like a actual chicken breast (info for SPN Lifer) without the texture of added meat protein and without bubbles (aka chicken McNuggets). We enjoyed both meals, temperature and plating was very good. Mrs DEN skipped dessert and I had the cheese plate. We both skipped breakfast.

Balance of the flight was typical post Polaris launch+2 service ( AKA the Golden Years…), FA’s ghost you after desert and seldom reappear unless heading back to go off duty.

I’d rate the dinner meals we ate at Solid “B+/A-” and the menu changes was a welcome sight.

DEN

Ate it all!

Last edited by DEN; Aug 6, 2022 at 1:04 am
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by COA777
United giveth and taketh away. Presentation and quality here certainly looks like an improvement, but what’s up with the 2 vegetarian entrees and no seafood option? Seems like they’ve found another way to cut costs.
The previous (June/July) US-Europe menu also had two vegetarian entrees, but it did have a seafood entree which was replaced with chicken this cycle. As someone who prefers eating seafood on planes, I'm with you on the loss of the seafood entree.
COA777 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DEN (Post # 1163)
UA27 DEN/LHR Aug 3

Mrs DEN had the chicken. It looked like an actual chicken breast (info for SPN Lifer) without the texture of added meat protein and without bubbles (aka chicken McNuggets). We enjoyed both meals, temperature and plating was very good.
Thank you for this important data point (DP) in trying to track down the putative existence of compressed, extruded chicken parts allegedly masquerading under the guise of chicken on United Airlines.

One way or another, we will get to the bottom of these rumors, innuendos, or (perhaps) sordid gastronomic facts -- if there is any actual basis for them.

Of course, it is hard to prove a negative.
United747 and tcdtcd like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 7:02 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I'm on 160 right now MUC-IAH and menu was a printed one pager no wine or drink list, veal, chicken, veggie, and cod option. Burgers before we land. Veal had a lot of gristle but was edible. My kids actually ate the chicken and it was not dry. Very nice crew, nearly all two stripes.

Post meal options better than last few months with ice cream, nice cake, and cheese tray that actually looked fresh and edible.
SPN Lifer and gutt22 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Post meal options better than last few months with ice cream, nice cake, and cheese tray that actually looked fresh and edible.
You meant post "main dish" items (i.e. dessert and cheese), right? Not the snacks in the galley (or upon request) in between the 2 meals.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:13 pm

I had the Duo of Celery Root yesterday. It was surprisingly tasty for something that sounded so horrible. I'd definitely choose that meal again.
sfvoyage and FlyingHoustonian like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am usually on flights arriving LHR early morning and can take advantage of the arrivals lounge for breakfast. My next trip will get in to LHR at 1:30pm from SFO, negating the lounge option for breakfast. Does UA serve breakfast on this later flight from SFO, or lunch? I’m hoping lunch, but I’m thinking a crummy breakfast is more likely.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I am usually on flights arriving LHR early morning and can take advantage of the arrivals lounge for breakfast. My next trip will get in to LHR at 1:30pm from SFO, negating the lounge option for breakfast. Does UA serve breakfast on this later flight from SFO, or lunch? I’m hoping lunch, but I’m thinking a crummy breakfast is more likely.
I was under the impression that the pre-arrival meal service was always breakfast, regardless of what time the actual arrival is at.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Same breakfast options for all SFO-LHR arrivals.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
On all of these recent printed menus for August, good to see the salad labeled as “Salad” versus “Appetizer”, as they had been trying to pass that off for a few months now.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by angetenar
I was under the impression that the pre-arrival meal service was always breakfast, regardless of what time the actual arrival is at.
While it's been a while, but returning LHR-EWR on the 1700ish departure it was not breakfast. In fact I believe most of the Europe flights to EWR and IAD arriving in the mid afternoon bank serve other than breakfast on arriving.

We got off of UA61(06) this morning.

Pre departure beverage of Water, OJ or Champagne was offered.
Nuts were served with a drink of your your choice.

The mall index-card menus were distributed but they were collected before I could take a picture since we had 5 of them for all 48 of us. Choices were Salmon, Short Rib, or Vegatarian chili, the chili that was seved to me with Quinoa on the westbound flight. Mrs. and I both went with the salmon that came with asparagus, a tomato, risotto and a roll. It was a surprisingly good meal. The fish was slightly crisp on the outside but still moist on the inside. Everything was the right temperature. The roll cooled off by the time I ate it, since I normally eat that last, but that was my decision. Also was a very small salad with spring mix and roasted red peppers and balsamic dressing.

My appoligies for not grabbing a picture of the same sundae that we're all seen on there, the one I got busted with a second one by the wife 😇😇

Midflight snacks were set up by door 2L and were the leftover cheese plates, chips, and a sub sandwich so small that my one year old could van eaters three of. The sandiwiches were mostly vegetable and I couldn't tell int he dark if they were supposed to have any protein on them.

Pre arrival meal was supposed to be either French toast or the spinach and egg cube, but it was the egg cube or nothing. Came with a sausage link, potatoes, a croissant, and fresh fruit. The fruit was ripe. The Egg cube was probably made in a casserole dish and cut into cube by a machine, It tasted very cheap.

The crew had to deal with a slightly neurotic purser who kept on top if them, but everyone did a great job. I was in 1A and a crew member went by me at least every 20 minutes, taking a drink out to someone and then returning.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 7:59 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
You meant post "main dish" items (i.e. dessert and cheese), right? Not the snacks in the galley (or upon request) in between the 2 meals.
Sorry I meant dessert and cheese options (and they also had fruit and a nice cake) after the main meal just after takeoff.

The prelanding snack cheeseburger was horrible. The bread was a brick. It is hard to get my kids to not eat a cheeseburger but United succeeded lol. Each one had buns as hard as a rock. At least they liked the chicken...

Again great crew, including what seemed like more seasoned ladies who were twins serving us up front. Really great! Thumbs down for UA sending the bags to the wrong belt but I digress.

Snack basket was some odd looking corn crunch things and small choco-granola type bar.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greenpau
Same breakfast options for all SFO-LHR arrivals.
Uggghhhh.....

Thanks...probably have the fruit/yogurt/bread, skip the entree and hit a pub once in town.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 4:32 am

Does anyone have any experience with the Polaris vegan meals long haul? Flying Melbourne- SFO soon and usually prefer to eat dairy free - just byo food?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.