Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

Old May 11, 22, 3:31 pm
  #106  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Posts: 22,466
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
Star Gold gets you lounge access in Europe on a Y ticket, but only for int'l flights. .
ummm..I've flown plenty of domestic flights in Europe with lounge access using *G from United.
Poland, Norway, Germany, Greece to name a few.

The no lounge access on domestic itineraries is purely a US airline thing. Although I am very thankful that at least United is not as bad as AA/DL and have always included Canada as intl.
rankourabu is offline  
Old May 11, 22, 3:33 pm
  #107  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 7,545
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
Star Gold gets you lounge access in Europe on a Y ticket, but only for int'l flights.
No, UA Star Gold (ie, UA Gold or higher) gets you access to any Star alliance carrier lounge in the world when flying in any class - EXCEPT for lounges in the US when not connecting to international. (there are potentially exceptions for 3rd party lounges).

Non-UA Star Gold expands that to include lounges in the US, even when flying on wholly domestic itineraries. That's exactly why some of us maintain star gold status with another carrier (in my case, TK) as it grants United Club access for UA domestic-only itineraries.

Of course, the Virgin Australia partnership is NOT a Star Alliance partnership, so they can make up whatever rules they want!
SPN Lifer likes this.
docbert is offline  
Old May 11, 22, 3:38 pm
  #108  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: China
Programs: DL GM, UA1K
Posts: 142
Does anyone know if an Australian domestic flight on VA metal that is UA-coded and booked through UA on a 016 ticket will earn PQP or PQS?
coinboy66 is offline  
Old May 11, 22, 3:46 pm
  #109  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 18,860
Originally Posted by coinboy66 View Post
Does anyone know if an Australian domestic flight on VA metal that is UA-coded and booked through UA on a 016 ticket will earn PQP or PQS?
As a tag on to a UA long haul flight?
Extremely unlikely will be able to book a standalone AU domestic VA flight with a UA code/flight number. Not possible with other airlines. e.g. BA AA codeshares on QF.
To be seen if trans Tasman AU<--->NZ UA codeshares on VA operated flights will happen and be sold as standalone flights.
With Air NZ TT UA codeshare some(all?) flights, but not able to buy as UA standalone e.g. MEL-AKL NZ124-UA6780

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 11, 22 at 4:57 pm Reason: Added Air NZ
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old May 11, 22, 4:07 pm
  #110  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 60,009
Originally Posted by coinboy66 View Post
Does anyone know if an Australian domestic flight on VA metal that is UA-coded and booked through UA on a 016 ticket will earn PQP or PQS?
No, flight operator determines earnings, Codeshare means nothing.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 11, 22 at 4:13 pm
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old May 11, 22, 6:50 pm
  #111  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 28,129
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
If entering AU on a UA flight will not make any difference, as need to process immigration, customs & bio security with your checked and carryon luggage. Then to the VA domestic flight with your luggage for bag drop (and check in if needed)
well, not quite. If it is already tagged to final destination and I can drop it off. It'll save some hassle. But yes ... I know I need to pick it up and re-check it.
cfischer is offline  
Old May 11, 22, 7:22 pm
  #112  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 18,860
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
well, not quite. If it is already tagged to final destination and I can drop it off. It'll save some hassle. But yes ... I know I need to pick it up and re-check it.
Not at SYD T1 international as VA no longer have a T1 drop off area/desk. Need to go to T3 for security, check in (if needed) & bag drop.
At SYD T1 QF do still have a bag drop area & dedicated shuttle(subject to time of day), but now described as seamless lite across T2. Lesser service than before CV19.
At MEL domestic & international are in one building: a few minutes walk.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old May 15, 22, 3:08 am
  #113  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,555
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
No, UA Star Gold (ie, UA Gold or higher) gets you access to any Star alliance carrier lounge in the world when flying in any class - EXCEPT for lounges in the US when not connecting to international. (there are potentially exceptions for 3rd party lounges).
Right...unless something has changed (I have not been on a plane for over 2 years now), the LH and TK lounges in IAD and the Star Alliance Lounge in LAX let you in when you fly UA domestic and has MileagePlus Gold or above. Anyone else?

SQ had their own lounge at SFO but they would not let UA MP domestic flyers in. I don't think AC lets UA MP domestic flyers into their MLL in the US either.

The UA/VA deal certainly will entice me to visit more cities in AU when I go. Do they have a "Visit Australia" type of multi-coupon pass?
Microwave likes this.

Last edited by username; May 15, 22 at 3:16 am
username is offline  
Old May 15, 22, 3:46 am
  #114  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 18,860
Originally Posted by username View Post
Right...unless something has changed (I have not been on a plane for over 2 years now), the LH and TK lounges in IAD and the Star Alliance Lounge in LAX let you in when you fly UA domestic and has MileagePlus Gold or above. Anyone else?
SQ had their own lounge at SFO but they would not let UA MP domestic flyers in. I don't think AC lets UA MP domestic flyers into their MLL in the US either.
Virgin Australia is not part of Star Alliance. Any lounge agreement would be airline to airline.

The UA/VA deal certainly will entice me to visit more cities in AU when I go. Do they have a "Visit Australia" type of multi-coupon pass?
Not aware of "Visit Australia" type of multi-coupon pass sold direct by VA. VA does not fly to all parts of AU.
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/a...ralia-airpass/
https://northernterritory.com/plan/g...ralia-pluspass Old- may not be sale now.

Have read the QF version is not good value for money. But depends where you want to go.
https://www.sydneymovingguide.com/qantas-air-pass/
https://www.qantas.com/us/en/book-a-...-explorer.html
SPN Lifer likes this.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old May 15, 22, 12:25 pm
  #115  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 28,129
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Not at SYD T1 international as VA no longer have a T1 drop off area/desk. Need to go to T3 for security, check in (if needed) & bag drop.
At SYD T1 QF do still have a bag drop area & dedicated shuttle(subject to time of day), but now described as seamless lite across T2. Lesser service than before CV19.
At MEL domestic & international are in one building: a few minutes walk.
oh crap ... is has been a while o.k. then ... T1 --> T3 it is :: with luggage
cfischer is offline  
Old May 15, 22, 2:52 pm
  #116  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bellingham/Gainesville
Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Posts: 2,239
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
oh crap ... is has been a while o.k. then ... T1 --> T3 it is :: with luggage
interesting. both Syd airport and Virgin AU website list the Virgin AU transfer desk at T1.

https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...transfer-maps/
https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/info-sheet/maps
https://assets.ctfassets.net/v228i5y...l_Arrivals.pdf
prestonh is offline  
Old May 15, 22, 3:28 pm
  #117  
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Houston, TX
Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy gold
Posts: 767
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
No, UA Star Gold (ie, UA Gold or higher) gets you access to any Star alliance carrier lounge in the world when flying in any class - EXCEPT for lounges in the US when not connecting to international. (there are potentially exceptions for 3rd party lounges).

Non-UA Star Gold expands that to include lounges in the US, even when flying on wholly domestic itineraries. That's exactly why some of us maintain star gold status with another carrier (in my case, TK) as it grants United Club access for UA domestic-only itineraries.

Of course, the Virgin Australia partnership is NOT a Star Alliance partnership, so they can make up whatever rules they want!
don't you also receive non UC access (another star gold lounge) on domestic flights as well if UA gold?
Unitedloyalflyer is offline  
Old May 15, 22, 3:52 pm
  #118  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 18,860
Originally Posted by prestonh View Post
That is interesting. Am sure that is change on the VA web site. Had the T-Bus before. They may have reopened that desk.
VA only have international flights to Fiji. ZQN (New Zealand) may restart later in the year.
But with AU open will be getting more pax from DL and UA.

The file date on the SYD T1 map is 17 Jan 2020 (before CV19). And dated on lower right hand corner in small text.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old May 15, 22, 7:15 pm
  #119  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 7,545
Originally Posted by prestonh View Post
interesting. both Syd airport and Virgin AU website list the Virgin AU transfer desk at T1.
Looks like this was re-added in the past few weeks.

web.archive.org has a copy of the VA page from April 27, and whilst it doesn't display it properly if you look at the page source it shows the old instructions of taking your bags to the T-bus and then re-checking them in Terminal 2 (domestic).

So sometime between April 27 and today they must have re-opened the transfer desk at the international terminal.

They haven't restarted their own bus, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they never do. When they first started running that bus there was no free bus between terminals. Now there is, I could see them considering that as a viable answer - although it's annoying as it's literally at the opposite end of the International terminal as their transfer area.
Mwenenzi likes this.
docbert is offline  
Old May 15, 22, 7:40 pm
  #120  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bellingham/Gainesville
Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Posts: 2,239
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Looks like this was re-added in the past few weeks.

web.archive.org has a copy of the VA page from April 27, and whilst it doesn't display it properly if you look at the page source it shows the old instructions of taking your bags to the T-bus and then re-checking them in Terminal 2 (domestic).

So sometime between April 27 and today they must have re-opened the transfer desk at the international terminal.

They haven't restarted their own bus, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they never do. When they first started running that bus there was no free bus between terminals. Now there is, I could see them considering that as a viable answer - although it's annoying as it's literally at the opposite end of the International terminal as their transfer area.
True. But UA iirc comes in on the b side which is where the transfer desk is. So there would not be a lot of backtracking with bags. You could also keep walking to the train as well if you don't want to wait for the bus or the lines are long.
prestonh is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread