Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2022, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by TBD
Star Gold gets you lounge access in Europe on a Y ticket, but only for int'l flights. .
ummm..I've flown plenty of domestic flights in Europe with lounge access using *G from United.
Poland, Norway, Germany, Greece to name a few.

The no lounge access on domestic itineraries is purely a US airline thing. Although I am very thankful that at least United is not as bad as AA/DL and have always included Canada as intl.
Old May 11, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TBD
Star Gold gets you lounge access in Europe on a Y ticket, but only for int'l flights.
No, UA Star Gold (ie, UA Gold or higher) gets you access to any Star alliance carrier lounge in the world when flying in any class - EXCEPT for lounges in the US when not connecting to international. (there are potentially exceptions for 3rd party lounges).

Non-UA Star Gold expands that to include lounges in the US, even when flying on wholly domestic itineraries. That's exactly why some of us maintain star gold status with another carrier (in my case, TK) as it grants United Club access for UA domestic-only itineraries.

Of course, the Virgin Australia partnership is NOT a Star Alliance partnership, so they can make up whatever rules they want!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, UA 1K
Does anyone know if an Australian domestic flight on VA metal that is UA-coded and booked through UA on a 016 ticket will earn PQP or PQS?
Old May 11, 2022, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coinboy66
Does anyone know if an Australian domestic flight on VA metal that is UA-coded and booked through UA on a 016 ticket will earn PQP or PQS?
As a tag on to a UA long haul flight?
Extremely unlikely will be able to book a standalone AU domestic VA flight with a UA code/flight number. Not possible with other airlines. e.g. BA AA codeshares on QF.
To be seen if trans Tasman AU<--->NZ UA codeshares on VA operated flights will happen and be sold as standalone flights.
With Air NZ TT UA codeshare some(all?) flights, but not able to buy as UA standalone e.g. MEL-AKL NZ124-UA6780

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 11, 2022 at 4:57 pm Reason: Added Air NZ
Old May 11, 2022, 4:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by coinboy66
No, flight operator determines earnings, Codeshare means nothing.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 11, 2022 at 4:13 pm
Old May 11, 2022, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If entering AU on a UA flight will not make any difference, as need to process immigration, customs & bio security with your checked and carryon luggage. Then to the VA domestic flight with your luggage for bag drop (and check in if needed)
well, not quite. If it is already tagged to final destination and I can drop it off. It'll save some hassle. But yes ... I know I need to pick it up and re-check it.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
well, not quite. If it is already tagged to final destination and I can drop it off. It'll save some hassle. But yes ... I know I need to pick it up and re-check it.
Not at SYD T1 international as VA no longer have a T1 drop off area/desk. Need to go to T3 for security, check in (if needed) & bag drop.
At SYD T1 QF do still have a bag drop area & dedicated shuttle(subject to time of day), but now described as seamless lite across T2. Lesser service than before CV19.
At MEL domestic & international are in one building: a few minutes walk.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
No, UA Star Gold (ie, UA Gold or higher) gets you access to any Star alliance carrier lounge in the world when flying in any class - EXCEPT for lounges in the US when not connecting to international. (there are potentially exceptions for 3rd party lounges).
Right...unless something has changed (I have not been on a plane for over 2 years now), the LH and TK lounges in IAD and the Star Alliance Lounge in LAX let you in when you fly UA domestic and has MileagePlus Gold or above. Anyone else?

SQ had their own lounge at SFO but they would not let UA MP domestic flyers in. I don't think AC lets UA MP domestic flyers into their MLL in the US either.

The UA/VA deal certainly will entice me to visit more cities in AU when I go. Do they have a "Visit Australia" type of multi-coupon pass?
Microwave likes this.

Last edited by username; May 15, 2022 at 3:16 am
Old May 15, 2022, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
Right...unless something has changed (I have not been on a plane for over 2 years now), the LH and TK lounges in IAD and the Star Alliance Lounge in LAX let you in when you fly UA domestic and has MileagePlus Gold or above. Anyone else?
SQ had their own lounge at SFO but they would not let UA MP domestic flyers in. I don't think AC lets UA MP domestic flyers into their MLL in the US either.
Virgin Australia is not part of Star Alliance. Any lounge agreement would be airline to airline.

The UA/VA deal certainly will entice me to visit more cities in AU when I go. Do they have a "Visit Australia" type of multi-coupon pass?
Not aware of "Visit Australia" type of multi-coupon pass sold direct by VA. VA does not fly to all parts of AU.
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/a...ralia-airpass/
https://northernterritory.com/plan/g...ralia-pluspass Old- may not be sale now.

Have read the QF version is not good value for money. But depends where you want to go.
https://www.sydneymovingguide.com/qantas-air-pass/
https://www.qantas.com/us/en/book-a-...-explorer.html
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Not at SYD T1 international as VA no longer have a T1 drop off area/desk. Need to go to T3 for security, check in (if needed) & bag drop.
At SYD T1 QF do still have a bag drop area & dedicated shuttle(subject to time of day), but now described as seamless lite across T2. Lesser service than before CV19.
At MEL domestic & international are in one building: a few minutes walk.
oh crap ... is has been a while o.k. then ... T1 --> T3 it is :: with luggage
Old May 15, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by cfischer
oh crap ... is has been a while o.k. then ... T1 --> T3 it is :: with luggage
interesting. both Syd airport and Virgin AU website list the Virgin AU transfer desk at T1.

https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...transfer-maps/
https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/info-sheet/maps
https://assets.ctfassets.net/v228i5y...l_Arrivals.pdf
Old May 15, 2022, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver

Non-UA Star Gold expands that to include lounges in the US, even when flying on wholly domestic itineraries. That's exactly why some of us maintain star gold status with another carrier (in my case, TK) as it grants United Club access for UA domestic-only itineraries.

Of course, the Virgin Australia partnership is NOT a Star Alliance partnership, so they can make up whatever rules they want!
don't you also receive non UC access (another star gold lounge) on domestic flights as well if UA gold?
Old May 15, 2022, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prestonh
That is interesting. Am sure that is change on the VA web site. Had the T-Bus before. They may have reopened that desk.
VA only have international flights to Fiji. ZQN (New Zealand) may restart later in the year.
But with AU open will be getting more pax from DL and UA.

The file date on the SYD T1 map is 17 Jan 2020 (before CV19). And dated on lower right hand corner in small text.
Old May 15, 2022, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by prestonh
interesting. both Syd airport and Virgin AU website list the Virgin AU transfer desk at T1.
Looks like this was re-added in the past few weeks.

web.archive.org has a copy of the VA page from April 27, and whilst it doesn't display it properly if you look at the page source it shows the old instructions of taking your bags to the T-bus and then re-checking them in Terminal 2 (domestic).

So sometime between April 27 and today they must have re-opened the transfer desk at the international terminal.

They haven't restarted their own bus, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they never do. When they first started running that bus there was no free bus between terminals. Now there is, I could see them considering that as a viable answer - although it's annoying as it's literally at the opposite end of the International terminal as their transfer area.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Looks like this was re-added in the past few weeks.

web.archive.org has a copy of the VA page from April 27, and whilst it doesn't display it properly if you look at the page source it shows the old instructions of taking your bags to the T-bus and then re-checking them in Terminal 2 (domestic).

So sometime between April 27 and today they must have re-opened the transfer desk at the international terminal.

They haven't restarted their own bus, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they never do. When they first started running that bus there was no free bus between terminals. Now there is, I could see them considering that as a viable answer - although it's annoying as it's literally at the opposite end of the International terminal as their transfer area.
True. But UA iirc comes in on the b side which is where the transfer desk is. So there would not be a lot of backtracking with bags. You could also keep walking to the train as well if you don't want to wait for the bus or the lines are long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.