Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAD Polaris Lounge to open 21 October 2021?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD Polaris Lounge to open 21 October 2021?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by narvik
I have to say, they ARE working rather fast on this, and the rapid progress is quite astounding (compared to the July 14th photo)!
brand new construction is more straightforward than retrofit of existing places. I believe even the interior portion will also go fairly fast.
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:06 pm

16 Aug 2019

No obvious changes, but the guy on the crane platform was welding something

I dont know if this is new or I've just never noticed it, but in UA Club at C17 they are advertising the new Polaris Lounge.
narvik and riphamilton like this.

Last edited by FlyingHighlander; Aug 16, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
This afternoon's SFO-DCA flight went right over IAD, allowing this perspective (zoomed in all the way on my phone, hence the blurriness). It looks like the lounge will be wider than the entire C concourse at that point.

Last edited by DCA writer; Aug 18, 2019 at 7:08 am Reason: More precise comparison.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Entrance on the concourse also now marked by signage...

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander

I dont know if this is new or I've just never noticed it, but in UA Club at C17 they are advertising the new Polaris Lounge.
Similar signage now appears opposite C17 showing where the entrance will be (beyond the current shops as you arrive from the train).

Hoping to see it open by next May (our next Polaris flight far enough in the future to be possible). Of course, this would be our second Polaris Lounge experience at Dulles since several years ago we attended the unveiling of Polaris service which included a mocked up, but functional Polaris Lounge.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by DCA writer
This afternoon's SFO-DCA flight went right over IAD, allowing this perspective (zoomed in all the way on my phone, hence the blurriness). It looks like the lounge will be wider than the entire C/D concourse.

I've been to IAD before, but that really puts it into perspective how small the existing 'temporary' concourse is! That said, I do hope that means the IAD lounge will be sizable - there are plenty of TATL flights to support it, and given UA's stated desire to transit more connections via IAD v. EWR, this would seem to call for a lounge of similar size to EWR.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I've been to IAD before, but that really puts it into perspective how small the existing 'temporary' concourse is! That said, I do hope that means the IAD lounge will be sizable - there are plenty of TATL flights to support it, and given UA's stated desire to transit more connections via IAD v. EWR, this would seem to call for a lounge of similar size to EWR.
IAD TATL rush hour is still sizably smaller than EWR. Not accounting for seasonal flights, EWR has around 8 more TATL destinations. Plus potentially more J passengers once high J 763 are assigned and 2 India flights that also depart near the end of the evening rush. Making it the same size as EWR Polaris lounge would make it quite nice and spacious especially during the day when there's only 2x NRT (UA, NH) and PEK flight.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Portolan
Similar signage now appears opposite C17 showing where the entrance will be (beyond the current shops as you arrive from the train).

Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
The view from the Aerotrain entrance yesterday evening. I'm a little confused by the height of that framing two-thirds of the way up this structure; will the PL occupy only that upper level?

narvik likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
^ That's what it looks like. The lower level is for baggage sorting of some sort, right? And without windows, except maybe at ground level, it's clearly not going to be part of the PL. So I would assume the PL will have either an elevator or stairs to get into, as well as potentially 360 degree views.
coolbeans202 and EWR764 like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:30 am

It was mentioned in this thread that the lower level is for a new baggage system (not sure of the source of that info), and the upper level for the Polaris Lounge.

Access to PL is shown here, next to C18. As the PL appears to be slightly above the current terminal level, perhaps there will be stairs and/or a ramp. Doesn't seem enough of a difference for an elevator to make sense.

Views seem uncertain. It's not clear to me if the PL will rise much above the new C18 walkway, Aerotrain entrance side, or terminal side. Only sure view would be out to where the aircraft at C18 would park.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
^ That's what it looks like. The lower level is for baggage sorting of some sort, right? And without windows, except maybe at ground level, it's clearly not going to be part of the PL. So I would assume the PL will have either an elevator or stairs to get into, as well as potentially 360 degree views.
What is the giveaway that there will be no windows?

Perhaps there will be some kind of split level with, e.g., showers downstairs like at SFO.

I forgot to post photos from last week. Looks in a similar state to as in DCA Writer's photo. There is some kind of grey brickwork at the end.

Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by fumje
What is the giveaway that there will be no windows?
Looking more closely now it appears there's a girder in the foreground of the photo that appeared to me to be solid metal paneling on the top half of the ground level area.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
Looking more closely now it appears there's a girder in the foreground of the photo that appeared to me to be solid metal paneling on the top half of the ground level area.
Ah yeah, it's hard to see the lower level with the girder right next to the window.

Departure / arrival from C20 would have the best view.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:03 am

9 September 2019

Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
It seems much larger than I expected it to be when I saw it on my last trip to IAD. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.