Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAD Polaris Lounge to open 21 October 2021?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD Polaris Lounge to open 21 October 2021?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: United, SIA, Delta, Emirates, BA, Continental, etc.
My guess is that she may have seen a sign about a new Polaris Lounge which may have led her to erroneously conclude she was in a Polaris Lounge.
At the moment, she is somewhere south of Iceland on her way to FRA on UA 932, so I can't ask her a follow-up question.

Sadly, the food at other United Clubs get scathing reviews at Trip Advisor:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...s.html#REVIEWS
Old Oct 30, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: United, SIA, Delta, Emirates, BA, Continental, etc.
That's a good idea, and her ticketing was on Lufthansa with a codeshare LH flight number which corresponded to UA 932.
However, the LH biz lounge is in a different building at the B gates, and UA 932 left from C4. Unlike me, she doesn't like to ping
pong around between terminals before catching a flight. I told her that she could arrive early and get a nice meal before the flight
with her biz class ticket.

I was wrong.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by hscottm

3) A few people asked about the concrete construction at the far end of the photos. At first I thought it might be an elevator shaft, but it looks to just be a stairwell for, perhaps, emergency access? But - I see nothing else that looks like a shaft so presume there will be no elevator.. If so, thats kind off surprising given accessibility issues. Thus, there must be a ramp in the plans somewhere (even though all we see in the schematics is the grey adjacent entrance hallway. Maybe it is upward sloping?

Safe travels..

Are you referring to the cement block "shaft" with what appears to be a door at the bottom? Seems like it's probably just emergency egress in case of fire. People would come out onto the apron. For fires, those who can't use the stairs are usually directed to a gathering point where firefighters can extract them - can't really use elevators in such a situation.

I thought normal access will be from the terminal side, where presumably there will be a lift of some sort to take those in need up the half-level.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
The UA lounges at IAD are indeed awful, an embarrassment to anyone who is on a paid international business class ticket on UA. All of C/D is a dump. Even the GFL lounge back when it was one was threadbare and redeemed only by the champagne. The new Polaris, whenever it opens, will be an oasis in C/D. But currently the LH lounge is definitely worth the walk/train over for a meal if that is your goal. They had Spaten Oktoberfest on tap a few days ago, too. (The BA, AF and TK (which is *A) lounges also have good food, but again in A/B.)

There is TSA Precheck and Clear in the middle of the main terminal. I suspect she just went to the first security area right behind and to the right of the UA counters, instead of walking a little further down to where they were.

I would think a lot of people who do not travel international frequently miss some of the benefits of business class just through lack of knowledge.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:00 am

Most Priorty Pass lounges at IAD have little to no food availability at times they let those second class citizens aka Priority Pass members in.

Im often baffled by the lengths people will go to, and restrictions they will impose upon themselves, to only eat in lounges. Anyone actually wanting a real meal/anything resembling actual dining at IAD is best served just going to a restuarant, unless spending $20-$30 is just unbearable to you. After your stomach is full, then go kill remaining time in a lounge.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Anyone actually wanting a real meal/anything resembling actual dining at IAD is best served just going to a restuarant, unless spending $20-$30 is just unbearable to you. After your stomach is full, then go kill remaining time in a lounge.
That's the thing, we pay between 3-to-5-figures on tickets which supposedly provide services and privileges with the ticket price. Those ticket prices are expected to cover the food cost we would have otherwise spent at the airport if we bought a normal ticket (and let's be honest, now it's $25-35+ pp these days for airport dining). That's where UA's UC/in-flight catering come in. DL and AA seem to understand this transaction well enough, yet UA is somehow excused from abiding to certain catering standards.

And as far as noise level is concerned, depending on when/where you're departing from, UC (even PL) can be barely quieter compared to near one's gate. That shouldn't be excused either, but I suppose our perception of airport lounges is changing these days
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:45 am

Most Priorty Pass lounges at IAD have little to no food availability at times they let those second class citizens aka Priority Pass members in.

Im often baffled by the lengths people will go to, and restrictions they will impose upon themselves, to only eat in lounges. Anyone actually wanting a real meal/anything resembling actual dining at IAD is best served just going to a restuarant, unless spending $20-$30 is just unbearable to you. After your stomach is full, then go kill remaining time in a lounge.
True about the PP lounge food (TK often being an exception - if you can get in). However, the BA, VA and AF lounges have quite good food when you are there during the times they are open only for their own business class customers, and LH (*A, not PP) is generally pretty good. However, unless you are getting fast food or pre-prepared sandwiches or salads, the reason I don't go to restaurants in most airports is the general slowness of the service, and sometimes lines just to be seated. I like to walk in, eat, then sit with electrical outlets nearby and work.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:55 am

13 November 2019

A few pics from today. A wall now replaces the old windows at the top of the escalator.

Couldn't get a good pic of the lounge, but from this one it does show the external structure looks fully complete.

Duke777 and Zang like this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Good that the exterior is buttoned up. Means they can work all winter without weather concerns. Still hopeful for our May 19th visit!!!
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:57 pm

I’d like to try it next year (I’m assuming mid-year or so) - if UA is not charging $9K a TATL RT or so, like they did a lot this year on the dates I needed. On the other hand, I did have the BA burger in CW dining at IAD last Friday and it was as good as the one I had at Polaris Club in EWR a few months back....
Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:15 am

Has there been any update? Would it open in 2020 or 2021?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:49 am

No update I'm aware of. At this point, theres little more visually we can determine if at IAD. External structure complete. I'd assume the interior will be finished and it'll open in 2020. Something would have to go horribly wrong for it to extend into 2021.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Something would have to go horribly wrong for it to extend into 2021.
Like the building project be managed by the MWAA?
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:25 am

I hear you, but:

Originally Posted by DCA writer
Under this deal, UA will direct all of the design and construction, with MWAA reimbursing it $33.8 million to cover those costs. A paragraph in the 2019 budget notes that the ground floor of this expansion will include baggage facilities, which matches what UA's IAD manager told me and cova at the FFG luncheon this summer.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:07 pm

Have been told end of 1st qtr 2020

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.