Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAD Polaris Lounge to open 21 October 2021?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD Polaris Lounge to open 21 October 2021?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 11:33 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

This is sick. I have started dreaming about this lounge opening.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by planes&trains
This is sick. I have started dreaming about this lounge opening.
Polaris Lounges are closed systemwide and international travels are almost down to almost a handful of flights and looks like none out of IAD, I would not get upset or having dreams about opening of IAD lounge now.

I feel sick of Covid-19’s impact on all of us and am feeling like living in a bad dream at the moment.

Let’s hope this crisis is behind us soon, and when the IAD Polaris does open, we will be in the right frame of mind to enjoy it.
iluv2fly, wxguy, tuolumne and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I notice a lot of construction still going on around Northern Virginia (with workers wearing masks). Completing projects rather than beginning new ones, I imagine. Probably the same thing for the IAD Polaris lounge - construction was already under way, so it is just being completed. When it is ever going to open is another matter. I have an international flight out of IAD on UA scheduled for mid-June that has not been cancelled yet, but I expect it will be. And I don't expect the Polaris lounge to be open then, even if it is built. I would guess the new Capitol One lounge may never happen, too.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SteveHK
No - the whole company only has a handful of capital projects ongoing (mostly essential and/or pre-funded ones). Unfortunately, EWR C3 club isn't one of them
Seems like IAD Polaris Lounge has also been paused ?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by fumje
Seems like IAD Polaris Lounge has also been paused ?
I was at IAD last Friday and this Monday. I did not see any movement or any workers around the site of the Polaris Lounge. It seems nothing has been progressed from limited angles and views..
However, I was there around 4:30 pm on Friday and 8 pm on Monday, so may be those were post-working hours and workers were done for the day.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I would be very surprised if they were continuing construction of the lounge at this time.
roberto99 and ajGoes like this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dkc192
I would be very surprised if they were continuing construction of the lounge at this time.
I would think they would finish it, though, and just not open it. Who knows...
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:37 am

Hard to imagine it being cost effective to stop construction when it looks to be 95% complete. Of course, they may be willing to take a larger financial hit later to save a few bucks now at the moment.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
FInish work costs can be a very high percentage of the total cost. So while the physical structure can be far along, the interior finish and outfitting are still many additional $$$.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The baggage system below the Polaris Lounge might be one of the "essential" capital projects still underway.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Construction has been stopped since early May. Haven't heard anything on work resuming yet
Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by kevflyer
Construction has been stopped since early May. Haven't heard anything on work resuming yet
Was that announced somewhere, or have you been travelling through IAD regularly to notice?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Was that announced somewhere, or have you been travelling through IAD regularly to notice?
I remember reading that on TPG. No I haven't traveled through IAD recently.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 1:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Found myself on this end of IAD for the first time in a long time. The outer construction is certainly finished. It looks like some of the inner finishing was done as well. The couches near the windows have plastic coverings over them.

I didn't realize what lounge I was looking at until it was too late to take a photo of the inside

Potato photo of the outside:

makin'miles, chrisny2, m.y and 6 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How's the IAD Polaris Lounge looking? Did they keep construction on schedule through pandemic?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.