Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 2:08 am

Noticed this buried in the article linked below:

"Any MileagePlus member can use his/her miles to upgrade eligible paid tickets, and as of now these prices are listed on United’s award chart. However, these will likely disappear later this year when the carrier completes its switch to variable pricing and removes award charts for flights on or after November 15, 2019."

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/united-expert-mode/

Do any of you know if there's any basis to this, or is it just speculation? My searches for MileagePlus Award upgrade inventory past the November 15th date and into next year shows the same pricing as before (although the co-pays show up in USD even though they used to show up in CAD before, that seems to be the only difference).
Old May 16, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sameruval
Do any of you know if there's any basis to this, or is it just speculation? My searches for MileagePlus Award upgrade inventory past the November 15th date and into next year shows the same pricing as before (although the co-pays show up in USD even though they used to show up in CAD before, that seems to be the only difference).
It's speculation, but probably a good guess.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
It's speculation, but probably a good guess.
To be clear: the speculation is that the charts and prices will go away (I agree), not that upgrades will go away (I disagree; they're absurdly lucrative for UA). UA may feel free to list whatever price it wants, though.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
To be clear: the speculation is that the charts and prices will go away (I agree), not that upgrades will go away (I disagree; they're absurdly lucrative for UA). UA may feel free to list whatever price it wants, though.
I think the poster is asking if mileage-only domestic upgrades will go away, but I could be wrong.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Noticed this buried in the article linked below:

"Any MileagePlus member can use his/her miles to upgrade eligible paid tickets, and as of now these prices are listed on United’s award chart. However, these will likely disappear later this year when the carrier completes its switch to variable pricing and removes award charts for flights on or after November 15, 2019."

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/united-expert-mode/

TPG is speculating, hence the "likely" that I bolded in your quote. However, you can take this speculation to the bank, for it would nonsensical to have a dynamic pricing for the purchasing of tickets and non-dynamic pricing for the upgrade of tickets. Say goodbye to "Saver Awards."
Old May 16, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I think the poster is asking if mileage-only domestic upgrades will go away, but I could be wrong.
Also Mileage + Co-pay upgrades
Old May 16, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I have been doing dummy searches for flights to Copenhagen and return from Stockholm for spring 2020 and I am seeing the current award mileage coming up. Either 60K 0r 70K points each way in J. So far, no award inflation on these routes to Europe.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
I have been doing dummy searches for flights to Copenhagen and return from Stockholm for spring 2020 and I am seeing the current award mileage coming up. Either 60K 0r 70K points each way in J. So far, no award inflation on these routes to Europe.
Agreed; they don't appear to have touched saver rates on these routes -- yet.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm not sure how you dynamically price an upgrade waitlist request. These things are so overpriced with the co-pays already, I'm not sure UA will see the need to change anything.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Also Mileage + Co-pay upgrades
Maybe
Old May 16, 2019, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think we can agree that Kirby is well on his way to decimating the value proposition of MP for pretty much everyone except the GS and corporate big spenders that he is forced to cherish - and even those groups will feel a good pinch.

The domestic product is already well on its way to being Spritized a la Baldanza, and I've heard nothing but complaints about what Baldanza's other minion is doing at AA, basically pulling the same nonsense.

If UA selling miles through credit card offers wasn't so lucrative, rest assured Kirby would probably just do away with MP altogether or restrict a pared down version to GS and full fare tickets.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think we can agree that Kirby is well on his way to decimating the value proposition of MP for pretty much everyone except the GS and corporate big spenders that he is forced to cherish - and even those groups will feel a good pinch.

The domestic product is already well on its way to being Spritized a la Baldanza, and I've heard nothing but complaints about what Baldanza's other minion is doing at AA, basically pulling the same nonsense.

If UA selling miles through credit card offers wasn't so lucrative, rest assured Kirby would probably just do away with MP altogether or restrict a pared down version to GS and full fare tickets.
Depending on how or whether the dynamic system will have Savers awards, GS might be the most negatively impacted group. An important part of the present GS benefits is to obtain savers IN awards for companion when a GS is flying revenue J, and to obtain savers XN spaces when T fare is available. GS also tend to have more miles in their account from their high spends. So they will suffer more devaluation. The discussions on the GS thread already indicate some on the borderline of GS will be less inclined to work for renewals if savers go away.
Old May 18, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Looking at a 3-month period Feb-Apr 2020, I can find 3 but not 4 tix in J for USA-TYO at saver level. Is this just the new normal or any chance this will change once everything is implemented?
Old May 19, 2019, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Looking at a 3-month period Feb-Apr 2020, I can find 3 but not 4 tix in J for USA-TYO at saver level. Is this just the new normal or any chance this will change once everything is implemented?
You're already a bit fortunate finding three saver tickets on one flight. I don't think that is a change.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Originally Posted by entropy
If you're spending 140k RT for partner J to europe, I'm sure you can convince yourself your'e getting outsized value. There are readily available 2.5-3.5k P/Z fares available that are not constrained to (often suboptimal) routing scraps you get with I-inventory. At a 2% cashback card, you're pretty much on-par with the "value".
Good point. That's where I think it's good to have a "both/and" strategy towards miles & cash-back, and hence why I'm moving some (but not all) of my mileage earning spend to a cash-back card.

-CJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.