Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you're asking whether you lock in the price by booking now, the answer is yes. UA will not come back and ask you for more miles.
Correct, but that number may not be the number that's on the chart (60K, apparently, for this redemption).
Old May 6, 2019, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Correct, but that number may not be the number that's on the chart (60K, apparently, for this redemption).
Right, unlike all previous award pricing changes, this one came with zero advance notice. UA following the DL playbook.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:56 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
I just checked on UA nonstop flights from EWR to KEF for the week of 7/28. Here are the results for the "Business Everyday Awards:"

7/28: 155K
7/29: 92K
7/30: 143K
7/31: 118K
8/1: 155K
8/2: 155K
8/3: 155K

NO saver awards listed on any of these days.

Dynamic Pricing has begun!

ETA: Interesting--If I price the flights from HNL-KEF using the same one-stop routing, each day has the same price of 165K
Do not think you can ever find a saver on that pair. It is a 757 with a limited number of old style PmCO seats
Old May 7, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
AS has an excellent route network from the Bay Area.
As someone who flies a lot of AS and is starting to move my business to UA, I don't see it that way. I guess it depends where you want to fly. AS is great for going to SEA, PDX, LAX, SAN... basically up and down the west coast. And they have transcons just like everyone else (though, no premium product -- I love the UA lie-flats).

Other places can be harder to get to. Depending on your travel patterns, AS might work for you, but realistically for many destinations you are looking at a connection in many cases where UA would fly direct from SFO, and looking at far fewer flights per day (so often flying at inconvenient times) even when there is a direct flight.

On the other hand, IMO the AS FFP can't be beat. You earn more miles flying and they are worth more. Great chart and free stopovers. Lack of an alliance membership and the 1-partner-per-award rule are a bit limiting, but as long as all your eggs aren't in the AS basket I find it's easy to get tons of value there. You can do a three-city premium cabin (F TPAC, J within Asia) round trip for under 150k miles.

Still, I find myself moving more of my travel from AS to UA, for premium routes when they are available, or just when I want to fly somewhere and the convenient schedule wins out.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
You can not compare AS and UA. The latter offers dozens of nonstops across the globe and multiple options on some routes. Perhaps a better label would be AS is a good option for some California travelers (1/8 of US population) who have similar patterns to me. They offer cheap flights to Popular vacation destinations like Mexico and Hawaii (even cheaper with BofA $99 certs). They offer cheap and good service up and down the west coast. They offer limited service on popular routes to major cities like DCA, ORD etc. so they are a good alternative for many leisure travelers. Maybe UA doesn’t want these customers anymore - we will see if they start filling the back of the plane. But once you lose their leisure business (because of your mileage deval), they really have less incentive to fly the front of the plane on lucrative biz trips.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver
So glad I dumped United for Southwest 3 years ago. So many changes I No Like.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by geo979
So glad I dumped United for Southwest 3 years ago
As I jump into my lie flat to SFO from HNL tomorrow - I'll be thinking why you fly Southwest (ok, I won't)
Old May 8, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by entropy
how do you figure? there's almost never space to upgrade into anyways.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA;s opening statement about this change was
It does not appear presently there are huge changes in mileage levels for post-Nov 15, 2019 (yet) and a great unknown is what may happen with partner awards but it seems clear we are headed into a future of "dynamic" mileage requirements -- until you try you will not know the mileage requirements and they may change at anytime. The ability to plan / have a known target will be gone.
Again award seats using miles is not the same as using miles to upgrade, which I haven’t seen evidence that this is changing for miles needed. Thus, a strategy to hold onto is using the miles for an upgrade, instead of an award seat. Granted upgrade space is limited but not the same buckets as award space.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geo979
So glad I dumped United for Southwest 3 years ago. So many changes I No Like.
I'm glad that's working out for you, but I don't really understanding pointing to this particular change as evidence that WN is a better fit. WN introduced all-dynamic awards years ago. Over the last 20 years, Rapid Rewards has gone from one of the best programs for earning free flights -- within WN's network, of course -- to one of the worst.

Originally Posted by schley
Again award seats using miles is not the same as using miles to upgrade, which I haven’t seen evidence that this is changing for miles needed. Thus, a strategy to hold onto is using the miles for an upgrade, instead of an award seat. Granted upgrade space is limited but not the same buckets as award space.
The problem is, using miles for an upgrade isn't changing because it's already a terrible deal in most cases. Sure, if the miles are devalued, it's a less terrible deal, but unless you're a Premier member using them to upgrade CPU-eligible domestic flights, the co-pays are massive. The one time I've done it, the round-trip co-pay was considerably more than the fare.

(I suppose the introduction of P+, which doesn't currently have an upgrade co-pay, is a potential answer to this, but, again, that's not much of a redemption value In many cases because there's not that big of a spread from discount Y to discount PE).

By the time you consider the economy fare, the copay, and the miles, in many cases you're better off watching the Premium Fare deals board and finding discount J.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Over the last 20 years, Rapid Rewards has gone from one of the best programs for earning free flights -- within WN's network, of course -- to one of the worst.
Huh? I don't follow WN/RR that much, but when I fly WN it's usually from my stash of points. If I recall (a quick search confirms it) award flights on WN are pegged at $0.0167 per point which is a pretty respectable valuation IMO when you add that you don't have to work at all to get that valuation. Gross rebate for a discount fare is then 10% (no status) or 20% (A+), which seems very much on par with UA at $0.02 per point, which would be on the rich side for UA miles pre the huge devaluation.

Plus I find WN miles invaluable as a cheap source of fully refundable award flights even though I don't maintain WN status
Old May 8, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Huh? I don't follow WN/RR that much, but when I fly WN it's usually from my stash of points. If I recall (a quick search confirms it) award flights on WN are pegged at $0.0167 per point which is a pretty respectable valuation IMO when you add that you don't have to work at all to get that valuation. Gross rebate for a discount fare is then 10% (no status) or 20% (A+), which seems very much on par with UA at $0.02 per point, which would be on the rich side for UA miles pre the huge devaluation.
20 years ago, the Rapid Rewards program gave you a free round-trip ticket for something like every 16 one-way flights, with double credit for booking on southwest.com: so, buy four round trips, get one free. They gradually adjusted it -- the bonus for booking on southwest.com went away around 2004, I think -- but it was always a matter of fly X flights, get one free. The introduction of revenue-based points and redemption was a huge negative, although I agree that other programs are catching up.

I'd flip it on its head: you can't work to improve the valuation. I think that's what everyone's expecting from UA, and that's why people are so upset. I've regularly achieved better than $0.02/mile UA redemptions, between partner awards and last-minute travel. I don't expect that to remain the case.

Anyway, my point was, it doesn't make any sense to say "I'm glad I moved to WN, because look at this awful new UA devaluation," when it's just the same devaluation WN already had. Even if UA ends up slightly worse than WN in terms of redemption value, I'd argue it makes up for it by flying you further than Cancún.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Anyway, my point was, it doesn't make any sense to say "I'm glad I moved to WN, because look at this awful new UA devaluation," when it's just the same devaluation WN already had. Even if UA ends up slightly worse than WN in terms of redemption value, I'd argue it makes up for it by flying you further than Cancún.
The biggest problem with WN is you have to fly WN

I just redeemed UA at 1.5 cpm. That's below my former threshold of 2 cpm, but I just want to burn these things now. Explorer is not getting any spend, either. It's all going to AMEX.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'd flip it on its head: you can't work to improve the valuation. I think that's what everyone's expecting from UA, and that's why people are so upset. I've regularly achieved better than $0.02/mile UA redemptions, between partner awards and last-minute travel. I don't expect that to remain the case.

Fair enough. I'm never quite sure how much value to ascribe to a vanilla long-haul award - 140k to Europe is nice but how low could I have gotten the cash ticket for the same amount of effort? Surely $2,800 or better right? That seems to hold for most situations, although I imagine you could fight harder for a better valuation.

And of course there are more abstract propositions; I can't really put a price tag on booking out 1 A/K on the 747 or an LH F award that I would be very unlikely to pay cash outright for. I was mostly objecting to WN being "one of the worst" programs for earning free flights when I found it excellent value for positioning and short intra-California hops under uncertain circumstances
Old May 8, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
As I jump into my lie flat to SFO from HNL tomorrow - I'll be thinking why you fly Southwest (ok, I won't)
As my wife gets her 25 flights a year for free (well, for $5.60) with my companion pass, I will sit upright with a smile thinking of you.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
The biggest problem with WN is you have to fly WN
I often find I don't agree with you, but on this one, we are 100% aligned and in agreement.

That said, WN is is perhaps the most successful aviation marketing company in history.

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.