Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:20 am

Do we know (or dare to speculate) that once this dynamic pricing kicks in that waitlisted awards will go away?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by luv2vacay
Do we know (or dare to speculate) that once this dynamic pricing kicks in that waitlisted awards will go away?
There has a been a lot of speculation but we don't know.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Just did some award searches to end of schedule which is around mid May 2020.

Most of the TATL Savers in J that I'm seeing are using TP, LOT or a couple of AC mixed-cabin awards (Y from SFO to YYZ). If you search for TATL Savers in J for this summer and fall, you see a few of them offered through LOT and that's it. Once in awhile there have been some LX awards.

So is MP ever going to offer TATL J Saver awards on its own metal or on LH again?

Now I will say though that TPAC J Saver award availability in April and May looks pretty good right now. In fact, I even see a couple of SFO-SYD J Saver awards on UA metal.

But if going forward they're not going to have Saver awards on premium cabins on much of the *A network, what's the point in MP status?

The thing is, the TATL pattern has been like this for several months now, long before the end of the award charts after 11/15/19. So maybe limited Saver availability would have occurred whether or not they got rid of the award chart. But the formal change just locks in what they've bene doing for the past 6-12 months.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wco81

So is MP ever going to offer TATL J Saver awards on its own metal or on LH again?

Now I will say though that TPAC J Saver award availability in April and May looks pretty good right now. In fact, I even see a couple of SFO-SYD J Saver awards on UA metal.
That just tells me high demand TATL and they are filling the cabin, or think they will fill the cabin, with paid tickets - and don't have that confidence TPAC
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
But if going forward they're not going to have Saver awards on premium cabins on much of the *A network, what's the point in MP status?
I think you mean to say, "What's the point of accumulating miles", not, "What's the point of MP status".

Status gets you many things and often appreciates over time. Miles continually depreciate -- especially when there are countless huge mile accumulators (small business pumping millions of dollars on credit cards) that don't even fly that much...
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I think you mean to say, "What's the point of accumulating miles", not, "What's the point of MP status".

Status gets you many things and often appreciates over time. Miles continually depreciate -- especially when there are countless huge mile accumulators (small business pumping millions of dollars on credit cards) that don't even fly that much...
Well if I were to start booking 2020 international flights, whose miles would stand the best chance of being redeemed for premium cabin Saver awards, going forward?

If the answer is none then this thread is just for venting?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well if I were to start booking 2020 international flights, whose miles would stand the best chance of being redeemed for premium cabin Saver awards, going forward?

If the answer is none then this thread is just for venting?
For now, if you're based on the west coast, probably Alaska. I do expect them to follow suit, though, at which point the answer gets to be pretty complicated. A US-based flyer would likely start by figuring out which US airline best fit their domestic travel patterns, and then look up the earnings on all of that airline's partners.

That said, "book whoever offers the best value and consider the miles to be nothing but a bonus" is an increasingly reasonable approach.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:15 pm
Suspended

I checked out Alaska and I see a lot of BA awards, with fuel surcharges and the worst J product going currently.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I checked out Alaska and I see a lot of BA awards, with fuel surcharges and the worst J product going currently.
OK, well, there are two different concepts at play here.

AFAIK, no US airline has -- yet -- gone to fully dynamic partner awards. I think that they all will, but so far they have not. That part of your question, then, boils down to "which program has partners that are most likely to release award space," and I'd answer "none," but probably give UA the edge because of (a) no fuel surcharges and (b) *A has a number of decent airlines. (Of course, that partly depends upon where you want to fly).

The second half of the equation is "which airline is giving me the most miles for my money when I fly them," and for most west-coast passengers that answer is going to be AS. However, as you note, their selection of partners is limited by the fact that they're not in an alliance.

Incidentally, this is why this thread has over 900 responses: there isn't an easy answer, and the fully-dynamic system is a big devaluation.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Yeah it'll be interesting to see if there's more clarity in September and later, as MP members look at booking for next year.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yeah it'll be interesting to see if there's more clarity in September and later, as MP members look at booking for next year.
I would not be surprise if there is a gradual transition and things may be evolving for an year or two (and not in a good direction).
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The peak holiday award seats to Mexico that I got for 50K (formerly 35k) are now going for 70k even though the fare dropped by $150. Insane!

It’s even worse than we thought if you are looking for peak season peak destination. Would not be optimistic about TATL business class next summer.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
The peak holiday award seats to Mexico that I got for 50K (formerly 35k) are now going for 70k even though the fare dropped by $150. Insane!
70K one way? Or 70K round-trip? Y or J?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:37 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Would not be optimistic about TATL business class next summer.
I thought summer was the best season for TATL business class because business trips are less common in the summer. This January I saw some LH business and even First saver seats from the US west coast near the departure. I expect that, at least for summer 2020, the traditional tactic of booking a coach saver award and waiting for business or first to appear will succeed more often than not.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
70K one way? Or 70K round-trip? Y or J?
one-way, economy cabin, Mexico-USA.

Used to get this for 35k in saver F (same dates)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.