Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by CJ99
Good point. That's where I think it's good to have a "both/and" strategy towards miles & cash-back, and hence why I'm moving some (but not all) of my mileage earning spend to a cash-back card.

-CJ
I agree, there are certainly good arbitrage opportunities, and likely will remain so. Nevertheless, I'd think that maintaining balances in more flexible currencies is the way to go right now (MR/UR), and of course Cash...
Old May 20, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by entropy
If you're spending 140k RT for partner J to europe, I'm sure you can convince yourself your'e getting outsized value. There are readily available 2.5-3.5k P/Z fares available that are not constrained to (often suboptimal) routing scraps you get with I-inventory. At a 2% cashback card, you're pretty much on-par with the "value".
DL is charging 300K-360K miles for one-way in J on many flights to Asia/Europe. That's 600K-720L round trip.

I am pretty sure UA is heading to that direction.

2% cashback card looks very nice now.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by kb1992
DL is charging 300K-360K miles for one-way in J on many flights to Asia/Europe. That's 600K-720L round trip.

I am pretty sure UA is heading to that direction.

2% cashback card looks very nice now.
The 2% cash card only addresses points earned via CC spend. And one could argue that the Chase/Amex/Citi flexible currencies still offer better ROI that 2%, provided you can cash the points for a decent saver award through one of the many other transfer partners.

But there are still many of us who earn points the old fashioned way - by paid flying. Everyone in this group is completely shafted by UA including GS, etc. - particularly if they plan to use miles for C/F TATL/TPAC awards on UA.

Of course UA thinks we will all simply stay the course as DL flyers did. We will see about that but in the meantime I see no incentive to continue accumulating UA miles if I have an competitive option on AS or possibly another *A program.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The 2% cash card only addresses points earned via CC spend. And one could argue that the Chase/Amex/Citi flexible currencies still offer better ROI that 2%, provided you can cash the points for a decent saver award through one of the many other transfer partners.

But there are still many of us who earn points the old fashioned way - by paid flying. Everyone in this group is completely shafted by UA including GS, etc. - particularly if they plan to use miles for C/F TATL/TPAC awards on UA.

Of course UA thinks we will all simply stay the course as DL flyers did. We will see about that but in the meantime I see no incentive to continue accumulating UA miles if I have an competitive option on AS or possibly another *A program.
one could argue that, I think it can certainly make sense. But you're certainly right that ppl who earn miles the 'old fashioned way' are getting screwed. As far as the airline goes, they certainly do seem to make a lot of $$ selling miles to the banks, so to the extent that people realize this, they (particularly the heavy spenders), will stop using the co-brand. I'm going to dump my MP Club card once the next annual fee hits. I can earn 1.5 UR on the ink business cash, and I don't do enough non-int'l trips to justify the club (and the clubs are pretty sucky anyways) , i was running 40-50k a month on that card... oh well.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by entropy
...I can earn 1.5 UR on the ink business cash,,,.
Or, you could earn 3 UR on travel and dining on CSR/JMPR, and then convert to upconvert these UR points by 1.5 when cashing in it to purchase flights. An effective 4.5 cpp. if you do a lot of travel and dining spend.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by 747FC
Or, you could earn 3 UR on travel and dining on CSR/JMPR, and then convert to upconvert these UR points by 1.5 when cashing in it to purchase flights. An effective 4.5 cpp. if you do a lot of travel and dining spend.
And paired with the Freedom Unlimited, you are bounded below by 2.25% flat. Bulk spend is not a good way to earn miles, and basically never has been.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Bulk spend is not a good way to earn miles, and basically never has been.
Can you explain?
Old May 20, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Can you explain?
I was agreeing with what I think was the point here -- the UA branded credit cards (and "mileage earning cards" in general) represent a poor return for credit card spend.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:25 pm

I was agreeing with what I think was the point here -- the UA branded credit cards (and "mileage earning cards" in general) represent a poor return for credit card spend.
Yes. I was confused by ‘bulk spend.”
Old May 21, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Being once-per-year leisure flyers, CC spend is one of the best ways we can earn miles. I would love to drop my explorer card right now, but we earn so many miles through other MP unique programs where it would be harder, if at all possible, to earn flexible-points. So far in 2019, we've earned more points through the MPX app, MP Shopping, MP Dining, BP Rewards, and the other "bread and butter" sources of miles than through the CC, therefor sticking with UA is still the best way to go for us.

Admitingly, MP is no longer the gold star it used to be, but I don't see where it is much worse than the other programs are (based on what I've read on here), thus there is no benefit to giving up these non-credit card spend sources of points.

My biggest fear is how much current award-rates inflate. Seeing some of those DL numbers is not encouraging. Mrs. and I have a big trip planed in a few years and we won't be able to take it if we can't pay for it with miles.

Last edited by phkc070408; May 21, 2019 at 1:50 am Reason: Auto-Correct error
Old May 21, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. I was confused by ‘bulk spend.”
I meant it as compared to categorizeable spend, spend to meet minimum requirements like signup bonuses, etc.

Originally Posted by phkc070408
Being once-per-year leisure flyers, CC spend is one of the best ways we can earn miles. I would love to drop my explorer card right now, but we earn so many miles through other MP unique programs where it would be harder, if at all possible, to earn flexible-points. So far in 2019, we've earned more points through the MPX app, MP Shopping, MP Dining, BP Rewards, and the other "bread and butter" sources of miles than through the CC, therefor sticking with UA is still the best way to go for us.
But again, even if UA miles are what you want, the CSR/CFU combo earns more UA miles than the UA cards.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: UA-½K
LAX to TYO awards

OK am I missing something?

I know about this November, and have 225K miles to get rid of, so I'm looking at getting 3x saver fares over the summer.

Had no problem finding them last year, but this year they all seem to be "discouraging" in some way, like a 20+ hour layover in SFO in most cases. With all the flights between LAX and SFO, it just seems so.

On on the other hand, I see there are now 80k (each way on NH) fares in economy now. When did these start? The highest I recall seeing in the past is 75k.

I may still luck out as 35k nonstops to TYO appear for NH now and then.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Holy cow - 60K for DCA-ORD round trip. Revenue was $450.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
But again, even if UA miles are what you want, the CSR/CFU combo earns more UA miles than the UA cards.
CSR - Chase Saphire Reserves
I'm unfamilar with CFU. Pleae explain.

Edit:

OK I found it - Chase Freedom Unlimited. How does a cash-back card get me UA miles? I see I can redeem the cashback for travel, but there aren't any specifics as to how this works.

Last edited by phkc070408; May 23, 2019 at 5:43 am
Old May 23, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by phkc070408
CSR - Chase Saphire Reserves
I'm unfamilar with CFU. Pleae explain.

Edit:

OK I found it - Chase Freedom Unlimited. How does a cash-back card get me UA miles? I see I can redeem the cashback for travel, but there aren't any specifics as to how this works.
CFU earns chase points. You can cash those out if you want, or transfer them directly to UA or to the account on the Chase Sapphire Reserve (where they are worth slightly more)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.