FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}
Old May 20, 2019, 4:27 pm
entropy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The 2% cash card only addresses points earned via CC spend. And one could argue that the Chase/Amex/Citi flexible currencies still offer better ROI that 2%, provided you can cash the points for a decent saver award through one of the many other transfer partners.

But there are still many of us who earn points the old fashioned way - by paid flying. Everyone in this group is completely shafted by UA including GS, etc. - particularly if they plan to use miles for C/F TATL/TPAC awards on UA.

Of course UA thinks we will all simply stay the course as DL flyers did. We will see about that but in the meantime I see no incentive to continue accumulating UA miles if I have an competitive option on AS or possibly another *A program.
one could argue that, I think it can certainly make sense. But you're certainly right that ppl who earn miles the 'old fashioned way' are getting screwed. As far as the airline goes, they certainly do seem to make a lot of $$ selling miles to the banks, so to the extent that people realize this, they (particularly the heavy spenders), will stop using the co-brand. I'm going to dump my MP Club card once the next annual fee hits. I can earn 1.5 UR on the ink business cash, and I don't do enough non-int'l trips to justify the club (and the clubs are pretty sucky anyways) , i was running 40-50k a month on that card... oh well.