Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I just looked at some TATL awards for Spring 2020, and where there was no saver available when I looked a month ago, there are quite a few partner awards available, and even a few on UA metal.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I searched for standard award first class for a domestic flight, DEN-BOS a few months out. Said not available for direct flights, but plenty with connections. Something is broken. Connections was around 100K miles round trip per person. Passed and paid cash on AA for around $700 in first.

I realize UA owns DEN, but not even offer standard awards on the direct flights???
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I realize UA owns DEN, but not even offer standard awards on the direct flights???
If you still have UA Gold status, as per your profile, you should have last-seat availability for standard awards. What was the travel date?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:25 am

I suspect the concept of standard and saver awards disappear after November. Not needed and unnecessarily complicates things
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by glbltvlr
I suspect the concept of standard and saver awards disappear after November. Not needed and unnecessarily complicates things
It's a good bet they will follow the DL model. There will still be a lowest level award roughly equivalent to today's saver, it just won't have a special label.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you still have UA Gold status, as per your profile, you should have last-seat availability for standard awards. What was the travel date?
9/17-10/1. This wasn't for me, but for my in laws. She is a horribly claustrophobic and flying in first makes it a little better, FIL doesn't care, but he decided to simply pay cash and move on. Doesn't matter though, I'm not wasting that many points for DEN-BOS-DEN. We were trying to use my wifes points, not mine. Yes I'm Gold, but she is non status. I didn't look in expert mode to see actual inventory though.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
9/17-10/1. This wasn't for me, but for my in laws. She is a horribly claustrophobic and flying in first makes it a little better, FIL doesn't care, but he decided to simply pay cash and move on. Doesn't matter though, I'm not wasting that many points for DEN-BOS-DEN. We were trying to use my wifes points, not mine. Yes I'm Gold, but she is non status. I didn't look in expert mode to see actual inventory though.
I agree, it's way too many points (although that may start to look like a bargain...)

And, yes, I see exactly one non-status standard first (ZN) award available on those dates, on the 5:40 PM departure.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you're signed in as an elite, you should see all the nonstops (and can book non-status travelers with your miles). I see all four each way for 47-50k each way. Not a great deal when cash is as low as $8xx but I do see them.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ua_sp_102366
Looking to fly to Asia (TPE, HKG, SIN) in Dec/Jan timeframe.. haven’t been able to find a single day with Y pricing <120K (one way) and J pricing 250k-300k (one-way). Looked at ORD - SFO on 12/21 and find J class pricing out at 100k (one way).. This is a massive devaluation!! It’s absolutely ridiculous. I’m surprised UA is getting away with this. Why are MP members not protesting enough?
You're doing something wrong. Y saver awards are plentiful over that window to HKG, TPE and SIN. For example, SFO-HKG has Y saver seats available nearly every day across Dec/Jan. Also, you realize 12/21 is one of the busiest travel days of the year. 12/20 marks the end of the work year for the majority of business people and students in the country. Calling a lack of saver availability on 12/21, 'absolutely ridiculous', isn't exactly fair.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
You're doing something wrong. Y saver awards are plentiful over that window to HKG, TPE and SIN. For example, SFO-HKG has Y saver seats available nearly every day across Dec/Jan.
The problem is often not the international flight but rather the domestic connection.

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Also, you realize 12/21 is one of the busiest travel days of the year. 12/20 marks the end of the work year for the majority of business people and students in the country. Calling a lack of saver availability on 12/21, 'absolutely ridiculous', isn't exactly fair.
I wouldn't have expected saver availability on 12/21 either. However, it's accurate to call an increase from 50K to 100K a massive devaluation. Previously, there had been times when Everyday awards absolutely made sense, and busy travel days were one of them.

That said, OP is being extremely selective. On 12/21 from ORD-SFO, looking only at nonstop flights, I see prices ranging from 53K to 100K. The 9:10 AM departure is 100K, but the 8 AM departure is 57K, and the 7 AM is 53K. (Admittedly, I didn't look to see which of these are available without status or a qualifying credit card).
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Is 50K miles o/w SFO-TPE or TPE-SFO Non-Stop UA metal in the last week of December a reasonable deal? I am trying to bite, but still it’s 15K over the current saver award.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by naumank
Is 50K miles o/w SFO-TPE or TPE-SFO Non-Stop UA metal in the last week of December a reasonable deal? I am trying to bite, but still it’s 15K over the current saver award.
well, depends on the days in the last week of December. If this x-mas travel high season ... absolutely ... if not, then I might wait.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Saw a decent deal for PEK-PUS (Beijing-Busan) for 8K miles on OZ in Economy.
Some fares are still reasonable.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by naumank
No one can tell you what is a reasonable deal. Would you rather bet that the price will change to 35k, or 250k. I’d grab the 50k seat ASAP, but I’m risk-averse.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I typically go to Canada end of June. In past years, I have been able to book early and get 12,500 mile awards on UA. Booking for next summer, lowest non-redeye is 32,500 and as high as 65,000 miles. Not good.

Originally Posted by 747FC
No one can tell you what is a reasonable deal. Would you rather bet that the price will change to 35k, or 250k. I’d grab the 50k seat ASAP, but I’m risk-averse.
Another word, dynamic pricing makes it impossible to "save miles for a trip" as you would never know how much a trip could cost.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 18, 2019 at 12:19 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.