Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Bonvoy
Cause of Huge increase in cost of Award Travel to Peru?

Prior to the pandemic, I frequently took advantage of what I considered to be reasonably priced business class award tickets from the US to Peru. Designated as northern South America, I could get a OW business award for 35K (even less prior to 2017). As recently as 11 months ago, I got a RT award on American for 60K.
Now both UA and AA are charging 180K OW. You can get it down to 90K if you fly Copa or Avianca or if you are flying directly from IAH to LIM but that, to me, is a huge waste of miles. Cash business fares have correspondingly increased. UA wants around 7K RT - you can get it cheaper on AA but no lie flat seat.
Does anyone have any insight into what happened to cause this huge increase in both the cash price and award tickets for US - LIM flights?
Old Sep 29, 2022, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Dynamic pricing, which allows airlines to jack up the rates in line with cash fares.

In some ways, flyers contributed to this behavior from the airlines. Keep giving airlines more every time they raise fares / increase point requirements, this is a predictive result.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UpperDeckJunkie
Does anyone have any insight into what happened to cause this huge increase in both the cash price and award tickets for US - LIM flights?
Supply and demand
Old Sep 29, 2022, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Supply and demand
Flights to and from Lima have historically been close to 100% full and it's not as if service has been cut post pandemic so this does not explain the sudden and dramatic change.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Dynamic pricing, which allows airlines to jack up the rates in line with cash fares.
Dynamic pricing is the effect - but what is the cause on this particular route? I could fly in F on Lufthansa for less than American is wanting to charge for a seat on an A321..... at least on UA I'd get a lie flat seat!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 29, 2022 at 1:19 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 29, 2022, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Dynamic pricing is the effect - but what is the cause on this particular route? I could fly in F on Lufthansa for less than American is wanting to charge for a seat on an A321..... at least on UA I'd get a lie flat seat!
Lie-flat seat, Polaris Lounge access, high demand? Maybe previous prices were too low, not that current prices too high?

I used to fly a couple of times a year IAH to LIM (CO days). I always thought CO’s fares were low for that segment length on a 752.

Obviously UA thinks they can fill planes at current price out of Houston. Why would UA care if AA or Avianca charge less????

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 29, 2022 at 12:04 pm
Old Sep 29, 2022, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
You actually think this is the only route with higher miles requirement?

There is no need for a cause...UA will continue to increase as long as people are willing to pay for the higher rate.

If LH is lower, then fly LH. No one is required to stay with one airline, unless you want to.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Obviously UA thinks they can fill planes at current price out of Houston. Why would UA care if AA or Avianca charge less????
This! If United raises fares dramatically and there is no effect on load, why wouldnt UA raise pricing. Many destinations are crazy expensive right now. Lima is just one of many!
Old Sep 29, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
The fares to Lima aren't that crazy high though. I just bought one way business class EWR-LIM for $1k. United is simply being greedy and making it difficult/nearly impossible to redeem points.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
You actually think this is the only route with higher miles requirement?

If LH is lower, then fly LH. No one is required to stay with one airline, unless you want to.
I never claimed that this was the only route with higher miles requirement. However I don't see US - Europe award travel going up to the same extreme.

Nor did I say that I feel required to fly with one airline but it does help to fly with the airline one has FF miles with doesn't it?

I mentioned LH as an example of how extreme this increase is - if someone can fly from the US - FRA on LH F for fewer miles that UA charges to fly SFO - IAH - LIM, then something is really wacky.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....if someone can fly from the US - FRA on LH F for fewer miles that UA charges to fly SFO - IAH - LIM, then something is really wacky.
Welcome to the world of airline pricing. Where sub-500 flights can cost as much or more than domestic domestic transcons.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if someone can fly from the US - FRA on LH F for fewer miles that UA charges to fly SFO - IAH - LIM, then something is really wacky.
It's only wacky if you overlook the fact that UA offers last-seat availability for award tickets to its members, and LH does not offer the same to UA members.

UA could just as easily say "no free tickets to Lima" and zero out inventory.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I mentioned LH as an example of how extreme this increase is - if someone can fly from the US - FRA on LH F for fewer miles that UA charges to fly SFO - IAH - LIM, then something is really wacky.
There's plenty of carriers and oversupply of F seats to Frankfurt, not many carriers to Lima.

Only wacky if you have an opinion that redemptions should only be based on distance. In the real world, they aren't.

BTW, today's 773ER to Lima is completely full.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 29, 2022 at 10:01 pm Reason: unneeded
Old Sep 30, 2022, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
So seeing a new (to me, at least) display when searching for an award on the app, and wondering if there is some sort of award ‘sale’, this is a new way to display pricing, or something else going on here. See image below. Referring to the crossed out higher price in favor of the lower pricing [presumably] offered - note -I have not tried going further.

In case it matters, I am UA silver with a select card.

Old Sep 30, 2022, 9:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I saw that too yesterday. I presumed it was XN pricing with the non-XN price lined out.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nsx
I saw that too yesterday. I presumed it was XN pricing with the non-XN price lined out.
correct. This started a few week ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.