Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
When will we be able to see this new pricing scheme, any award travel scheduled after Nov 15 or do we have to wait until Nov 15 to get an idea of the horror?
Pricing is effective immediately for all flights on or after November 15.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Never thought I would do this, but thinking of dumping my miles as well as my wife’s for pretty much anything in the catalog. TV’s, computers, etc. Now that UA has made it clear that they don’t care about me, I refuse to care about them.
Not sure if that's the best way to stick it to them. I haven't seen any good deals in those catalogs.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:51 pm
formerly smoaky

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
this is funny. so letting more members have the same access to the good stuff you have hoarded for yourself is bad? talk about selfish.
Close in fees were the trade off for having cheaper award availability at the last minute. Now those awards will be dynamically prices (expensive as a last minute ticket is), so whatever you save on the close in fee you'll lose many times over in the miles you pay for the ticket.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
On second thought, given I have historically used my UA miles for international J travel on *A partners and not UA itself - because if UA award availability is available, it almost certainly means I can use a GPU instead - this probably won't impact me all that much. However, if that goes away, I would be very disincentivized to collect UA miles at all and would stick to purely CC programs with multiple transfer partners.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
While this is certainly unwelcome, and will make us spend miles at a faster rate, I get it.

As a 1K, you currently earn 11 miles/$....and lots of people say miles are worth 1.5 to 2 cents each....that's like United giving you a 16.5 to 22% rebate on everything you buy. By any other standard, that's a darn generous loyalty program.

Like I said it sucks, but I get it...
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by msg75
Among multiple other reasons this is really going to hit home as I've been saved many times when a last minute emergency comes up and I can grab a "reasonably" priced award flight within 24 hours vs paying an exorbitant walk-up $ fare.
+1.

Atlhough I wonder if this will always hold true. When it's close in and you can get saver awards it's usually because the flight isn't well booked. Aren't mileage awards a way to dump inventory without lowering prices for business travelers who must go? Even under the current system they could drop saver inventory close in if they wanted to prevent such gaming, but they don't.

Of course, this could be simply a "pay with points" system whereby you're getting some conversion ratio of points to actual pricing, but it doesn't seem to be quite there.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Another day when I am grateful to have experienced some of the golden days of United 1K status and achieved MM status, so that I can now (for the past four years or so) enjoy more freedom of choice without the constraints of a single loyalty program. Not that the grass is greener on many other pastures.

It may indeed be time to retire my t/crusty old Chase United Select Visa card. The annual 10k miles sort-of paid for the annual fee and it is at this time my oldest credit line, but the value may just not be there anymore. I still can make United miles every day with my CSR, at a higher rate even.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
and what will be the new name of MP? Can't be Set Pesos as that belongs to DL. Another change "we have asked for" for being over entitled. More seats at 280,000 miles one way.... I sure hopes the pendulum swings the other way soon.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by zebranz
and what will be the new name of MP? Can't be Set Pesos as that belongs to DL.
The Vietnamese Dong trades at a bit over 22,000 to the dollar.....so I'm going with MileageDong
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
MileageMinus of course

there are still some awards that represent a good arbitrage value relative to cash but generally I expect this will dramatically reduce my exposure to the currency (eg drop the card )
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by jjangoo
Not sure if that's the best way to stick it to them. I haven't seen any good deals in those catalogs.
Horrible use of miles, but I'm done with UA. Years of 1K status, a few at Platinum, now Gold. It's clear to me that they don't care. I screwed up for next weeks flight, UA was over $300 higher than AA with similar flight times, but out of loyalty I booked with UA. It's out of pocket as I'm the owner of the company, but will never make this mistake again.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Horrible use of miles, but I'm done with UA. Years of 1K status, a few at Platinum, now Gold. It's clear to me that they don't care. I screwed up for next weeks flight, UA was over $300 higher than AA with similar flight times, but out of loyalty I booked with UA. It's out of pocket as I'm the owner of the company, but will never make this mistake again.
Lifetime *G should mean something though, right? You're so close..
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Welcome to the world of opaqueness that Delta introduced years ago.
In a way, the DL program is actually quite transparent. DL has basically stated they want to consider cash and miles interchangeable, which means their target redemption rate is 1cpm. I imagine UA is heading in exactly the same direction. Of course, this has changed my behavior completely. I mostly don't bother with premium awards anymore (and find myself flying a lot more airlines than in the past). Since I ascribe zero value to miles, I have no problem using (say) 2500 of them to guest someone into the lounge with me (vs $29 in real money I'd otherwise spend).

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
As a 1K, you currently earn 11 miles/$....and lots of people say miles are worth 1.5 to 2 cents each....that's like United giving you a 16.5 to 22% rebate on everything you buy. By any other standard, that's a darn generous loyalty program.

Right, the programs were unsustainably generous in the past (1 free domestic r/t for every 2 TCONs a top tier elite flies???), but the devaluations are certainly painful for those who were taking advantage.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I just had a thought....how badly is this going to break the already broken awards search system?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
While this is certainly unwelcome, and will make us spend miles at a faster rate, I get it.

That really depends. I am required to fly on refundable fares for work. With WN I am able to get 10 or 12 points per dollar + my 100% elite bonus. That's about half of the 1k rate. Of course there are plenty of trade offs with WN so I won't open the can of worms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.