Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Pricing is effective immediately for all flights on or after November 15.
I've done a bunch of searches 270-330 days out and am seeing plenty of J and F available to international destinations at the old saver rates.
Is anybody seeing any Delta-like, million-mile awards yet?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Oh now you all can look forward to award prices like this!

PS - This is not fake - a real award search!

If I booked this I would be pissed about paying the 44 bucks.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
No question about it. I wonder if anyone has written articles on this? Across the board, loyalty programs continue to devalue, from airlines, to hotels, to Starbucks, to Peet's...it seems to be a massive trend at least in the US.
Well, they figured out how to make money.

Airline FF programs were conceived at a time when there were 7 or 8 major carriers and seat loads were at 50 percent. They were giving away lots of seats they couldn't sell, to attract business from their many competitors.

Now there's 3 carriers and they sell almost every seat.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp
Well, they figured out how to make money.

Airline FF programs were conceived at a time when there were 7 or 8 major carriers and seat loads were at 50 percent. They were giving away lots of seats they couldn't sell, to attract business from their many competitors.

Now there's 3 carriers and they sell almost every seat.
Exactly. A downturn in the economy is the only thing stopping them now.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Exactly. A downturn in the economy is the only thing stopping them now.
What about the banks? Has there been any decrease in co-branded credit card uptake and spend following the massive devaluation at DL? How would the banks feel about buying so many miles from airlines and having them devalued?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by gene2632
Ok, this is really good news for me... thank you Scott Kirby for helping me sort out my future with UA.
Most smart shoppers do not have any "future with UA." They abandon this blind man's shell game and pursue explicit value.

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
A downturn in the economy is the only thing stopping them now.
It'll be interesting to see how UA reacts when demand craters in the next big recession.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:32 pm

If redemption values drop below 1cpm, keep in mind UA allows Explorer and Club card holders the option to rebate UA tickets paid on the UA card at 1cpm. You also get PQD and PQM on the purchase. (And bonus PQM for fare classes that apply) Currently, redeeming miles this way has been a poor value for me because of the last minute cheap award ticket availability’s much greater value.

My experience with the existing dynamic everyday award system has been miles worth about 2cpm. They can be worth even more if only Y/B fares can be purchased.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
What about the banks? Has there been any decrease in co-branded credit card uptake and spend following the massive devaluation at DL? How would the banks feel about buying so many miles from airlines and having them devalued?
Ha, ha. As you can see, it's had a huge impact on the DL/Amex relationship --

"American Express and Delta Air Lines extended their credit card partnership through 2029, the companies jointly announced Tuesday, a significant extension of one of the larger financial partnerships between a major U.S. airline and a credit card company. Separately, Delta raised its forecast of first-quarter profit, citing higher demand from business travelers. Delta shares rose and helped lift other airline stocks in afternoon trading. American Express will pay Delta more per year for the partnership, up to nearly $7 billion annually by 2023 from $3.4 billion paid in 2018."
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Right -- in other words, there were no seats in inventory, and you were asking them to deny somebody boarding so that you could fly, after boarding was already in progress. Even for a GS, that doesn't seem like something they'd do.
Off topic but basic rule here, if someone is scheduled to fly on that flight that PAX (original ticket holder) has priority over all others regardless of status. From what I understand they WILL NOT do it (even for GS).
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I got about 320K miles to burn. I'm hoping I and O pricing stays the same for awhile. At least on partners.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I barely make 1K every year and its been getting harder as they raise the qualifications. (I've had some medical issues and have been out of action for a bit, only getting back to travelling now) Because of this, I can never use my miles. On rare occasion, if ticket prices are high (>$0.02/RDM), I'll buy a friend/family member a ticket using RDM. I've got 1.3M RDM right now. I figured I'd keep going til I get 1MM at lest (which I should have in less than 3yr). Then after that, I'll see how long I can hang on before they raise 1K beyond reach. Then I'll burn off my miles. In the back of my head, I figured 1.3M RDM = approx $25K or approx 50 RT domestic saver trips. In the back of my mind, I thought, "they'll never change the domestic saver award so I always have that at least". But I think I knew this would happen eventually.

First, they introduced PQD so the amount of miles I earn have been approx cut in half. Now, I wonder what my miles are worth.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Seems like I chose the wrong year to start crediting back to United. Thankfully I'm only ~20k RDM in so far.

Hopefully they won't touch the partner award chart.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
AA will likely to follow after UA.

Time to switch to AS/B6/WN?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:08 pm

spot on
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
While everyone's focusing on the negatives, I really like the fact that the close-in fees are going away.

Dynamic pricing has been here for a while - I just paid 65,000 for a domestic round-trip two weeks ago. But the cash fare was ridiculous, so it was still a deal in the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.