Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
3. You're still awarded 6 GPUs/yr. Worth $2K each = $12K
5. Mileage devaluation will require more miles for flights, thereby leaving fewer miles for Polaris upgrades. So again, Polaris more accesable with GPUs.
​​
3. There is no way 1 GPU = $2K. A lot less than that.
5. If you think PZ will be more accessible, you're dreaming. Like TOD deals domestically, UA wants to SELL the seats, and will where it can.

The real winners may be those who buy P/Z international fares, but that remains to be seen...
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
3. You're still awarded 6 GPUs/yr. Worth $2K each = $12K
​​
The only planet on which a GPU is worth $2K is the one where it's valid on any fare and is always confirmable at the time of booking.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seanp7
3. There is no way 1 GPU = $2K. A lot less than that.
5. If you think PZ will be more accessible, you're dreaming. Like TOD deals domestically, UA wants to SELL the seats, and will where it can.

The real winners may be those who buy P/Z international fares, but that remains to be seen...
Maybe not the P fares, where PQM was cut to 150% earlier this year.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Zero chance that partner awards don't end up dynamic as well. Kirby is an evil man.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M
...but why would anyone get the WN credit card, when they could just get a 1.5% (or better) cash back card and be done with it? WN credit cards don't even offer the perks that some others due, since WN already has free bags and has no lounges to offer access to.
Spend on the WN card can count towards Companion Pass, which can be a very valuable perk (companion flies free on any flight, even an award ticket).
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Since these changes are already visible, has anyone seen any examples of better award pricing for international business post Nov 15?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Since these changes are already visible, has anyone seen any examples of better award pricing for international business post Nov 15?
I would lay odds that there isn't any.

To make a broader claim- if your main reason for choosing an airline loyalty program is to receive free travel in longhaul J, or heavily discounted longhaul J travel, the conduct of UA and DL is making clear that US carriers feel they can sell that space for big money and have little interest in giving it away to you even as a reward for being an excellent customer.

And this absolutely should cause people to reevaluate their participation in FF programs.

Intellectually, I understand why UA is doing this, but the only way the airlines will ever be scared off of this sort of thing is if they start losing significant business from frequent flyers.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by BearX220
PP is like flying standby. You're a low-priority applicant to most lounges, and access is space available. If you can live with that, it's a lot better deal than buying UA lounge access, especially as PP is a free perk with many credit cards.
The restaurant credit, which is excellent at many airports (e.g. Landry's near C42 at IAH, which has great fish tacos, or Cadillac Mexican Kitchen and Tequila Bar near A17), where you get a $28- credit per person, is not capacity limited. You may have to wait for an open seat, but you would at any restaurant.

The lounge capacity limitations have never affected me, but they did affect the couple behind me at PPT recently-but then, they only had to wait 10 minutes until all of the Polaris flyers were admitted before they got in. The Air Tahiti Nui lounge is the only place with A/C in the whole airport and having PP was definitely worth it for the 3 hour wait until departure. I was in paid Polaris but my wife was awaiting an UG, which she didn't get until we were already onboard, and they wouldn't admit her as my guest, but my PP came to the rescue and got her in the door. I love my CSR card!

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 7, 2019 at 2:05 pm
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7
3. There is no way 1 GPU = $2K. A lot less than that...
I respectfully disagree. IME, I have seen savings of much more than $2K in redeeming a GPU on booking. One can't rely on TOD as a given, and it is not universally offered. One has to deal in certainties, not possiblities. Value is market sensitive, but price out an east coast J class fare to Asia and draw your own conclusions. YMMV, of course, but I have always come out ahead of the $2K/GPU valuation. I would welcome examples otherwise to broaden the analysis.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
You can't save up for an aspirational award as the price can change when they feel like it and without notice.
I don't think this has hugely changed, since you never knew if your aspirational award would be available at the saver level, and most people consider the sleazy rates a non-starter.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by mduell
I don't think this has hugely changed, since you never knew if your aspirational award would be available at the saver level, and most people consider the sleazy rates a non-starter.
It's not hard to find partner saver business class awards to Europe and Asia and many save up their miles for these.
Without an award chart UA can charge whatever they feel like charging for these without any need to provide notice of changing rates. That's a major program devaluation.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by bookeew
Exactly this.

If the close-in change fee is also waived (in addition to booking), this could *significantly* increase competition for last minute changes, which particularly affects partner airlines that open last minute space, like LH/LX/OS/NH.

This is bad, and United should feel bad.

I reached out to 1K desk and will have corporate reach out to our liaison too.
I will be truly impressed if your opinion makes United develop a guilt complex.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyme2
I respectfully disagree. IME, I have seen savings of much more than $2K in redeeming a GPU on booking. One can't rely on TOD as a given, and it is not universally offered. One has to deal in certainties, not possiblities. Value is market sensitive, but price out an east coast J class fare to Asia and draw your own conclusions. YMMV, of course, but I have always come out ahead of the $2K/GPU valuation. I would welcome examples otherwise to broaden the analysis.
There's actually a pretty extensive thread going on this: UA MP Shifting Focus to Grants vs Currency

The $2K value is not realistic because you can always do a miles + copay award with the exact same ability to clear as a GPU. The highest possible valuation for a GPU under the current system is $600 plus however much you value 30K miles -- and even that's only true if W is the lowest fare available for your travel dates. Otherwise, you have to discount the value of the GPU by the fare difference between the lowest available fare and W.

It's also not meaningful unless you would have paid the comparable J fare. If you would have flown Y, or a different airline, or a less expensive route, etc., then you didn't really save yourself $2K+ out of pocket.

The black market value for a GPU is about $400. I valued mine at $500 when deciding whether or not to stretch for 1K.

I don't fly paid J often, but when I do, it tends to be in the $2000-$2500 range for Polaris-eligible flights (I'll then buy positioning flights as needed). Since upgradeable Y tickets on the same routes are around $1000, that supports my $500 number also.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Huh? What do you mean? They're dropping close-in award booking fees. That's bad?
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I agree, other than occasionally for someone who books a close in award.
Actually, getting rid of the close-in fee will likely prove disastrous, as it did for Delta after they got rid of their close-in fee.
They now charge much more than the close-in fee in the form of extra miles on flights within 3 weeks.

Screenshots of this in practice on my blog:
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...-mileageminus/
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Actually, getting rid of the close-in fee will likely prove disastrous, as it did for Delta after they got rid of their close-in fee.
Yes, but my assumption was that they would have done that anyway. So, you'd be paying twice -- extra miles plus the close-in booking fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.