Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by kb1992
Over the past 15 years I have been using old UA card earning 3X UA miles. My average spend per year has been around $100K-$150K.

I still have 3.3 million miles in my UA account.

I am canceling this card and switching all my spending on Chase Sapphire Reserve and other cards. I should have known better and done this earlier.

UA is following evil DL with this dynamic award pricing after removing transparency of award chart.

Soon we will see skyrocketing one-way J award to Europe at 300K or half million miles each.
I'm not nearly the frequent flyer you are, but I'm taking the same approach. Transferable points are vastly more valuable than airline miles at this point, so most of my spend is now on Chase Sapphire Reserve and Chase Freedom Unlimited for non-category spend. I frequently find myself actually NOT transferring these points at all, and instead, utilizing them in the Chase mall. With Sapphire Reserve, you get 1.5c per point in the Chase mall, which frequently is a better redemption rate than transferring to UA, particularly given that you still earn miles and status if you book through Chase mall because UA sees it as a revenue ticket.

I also am becoming increasingly convinced status isn't worth much in general. I was Gold (granted not that high) for about 2 years and never had a single domestic upgrade clear, whether complimentary or mileage based. So it's useless for that. Silver is worth about $95 because it's basically free Explorer Card benefits (checked bag, priority boarding). Free E+ at booking is useful with Gold, but with the TOD upgrades and lower domestic F prices in general, I find myself in F about half the time anyway (or, on work flights, my employer will pay for E+) -- so free E+ is lower value for me. So ultimately, I'm going more and more free agent / kayaker. I'll still try to get Silver on UA since I live in the SF Bay Area, but beyond that, I see little reason to chase status. I just booked my next trip on DL because they had the cheapest domestic F for my routing.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Much like airlines cancelling on an error fare, the collective FT hive is currently in the bargaining stage?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:31 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Azmordean
With Sapphire Reserve, you get 1.5c per point in the Chase mall, which frequently is a better redemption rate than transferring to UA, particularly given that you still earn miles and status if you book through Chase mall because UA sees it as a revenue ticket.
I redeemed 14k CSR UR points for a JetBlue transcon flight yesterday. UA wanted 18k for a $152 cash fare flight (less than 1 cent per point) at an unfavorable time of day. No thanks. And JetBlue has free seat assignments!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I checked the Chase UR engine for TATL J.

Nothing under 300k.

Plus such purchases via UR wouldn't give PQDs so not true that it would help your status.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
I checked the Chase UR engine for TATL J.

Nothing under 300k.

Plus such purchases via UR wouldn't give PQDs so not true that it would help your status.
Incorrect -- buying in the UR mall does indeed grant PQDs. This is because Chase is buying a revenue ticket on your behalf -- you are just paying Chase UR points instead of dollars. But Chase is paying UA dollars. It's treated by UA exactly as if you purchase a UA ticket from, say, Orbitz or a travel agent. As long as you don't get some kind of weird bulk fare, you get full PQDs and PQMs.

I would agree though, that you will, by definition, never get "outsize awards" using the UR mall -- you get a flat 1.5 cents per point. My suspicion though is that the flat 1.5 per point will look better and better with this new dynamic award pricing. It already looks good on domestic routes in a lot of cases.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Incorrect -- buying in the UR mall does indeed grant PQDs
Only if the ticket is issued on UA stock or you're flying UA metal. So, for UA-operated flights, that won't be an issue. If you're buying a partner flight, it'll likely to be issued on partner stock, and you won't get PQDs for legs not operated by UA.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Credit card currency is best used for premium cabin redemption (F / J) via partner transfer. Don't stay with just UA and *A. Diversify. There are so many possibilities.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Only if the ticket is issued on UA stock or you're flying UA metal. So, for UA-operated flights, that won't be an issue. If you're buying a partner flight, it'll likely to be issued on partner stock, and you won't get PQDs for legs not operated by UA.
Yeah this is true. You could probably get away with it on the borderline "joint venture" flights (E.g., "operated by ANA") as part of an itinerary that includes UA metal, but that gets super hard to verify in the UR mall -- that's very fair. But for run of the mill all UA routings, particularly domestic ones, the UR mall can be a good option.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, 2.3MM Flyer, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
I just wonder why UA feels compelled to do reductions in benefits like this all the time. Just because they can? It seems petty and vindictive to the elites who account for the vast majority of the revenue. I recognize that airline managements have a complex that causes them to hate their customers but I am just amazed at how, over time, they can continually take $1 and return a dime (maybe) to their customers. How do they think in such a transparent world they can opt for increased opaqueness and call that an improvement. How can this create the positive customer feeling environment they claim they want?. How much money does actions like this save? Is it really so meaningful when it creates so much animosity. I just remain perplexed.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Billygreg
I just wonder why UA feels compelled to do reductions in benefits like this all the time. Just because they can? It seems petty and vindictive to the elites who account for the vast majority of the revenue. I recognize that airline managements have a complex that causes them to hate their customers but I am just amazed at how, over time, they can continually take $1 and return a dime (maybe) to their customers. How do they think in such a transparent world they can opt for increased opaqueness and call that an improvement. How can this create the positive customer feeling environment they claim they want?. How much money does actions like this save? Is it really so meaningful when it creates so much animosity. I just remain perplexed.
I think it's extremely short sighted even from a revenue perspective. Airlines make a HUGE amount of money selling Miles to the likes of Chase to dole out for rewards. Chase would love nothing more for folks to switch to their own UR cards and use UR more and transfer less so they don't have to buy as many miles from UA. The sale of miles to credit card companies is big business, so I can't help but feel like UA risks "killing the goose that lays the golden egg" with nickel and dime changes like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Billygreg
Exactly, because it can.

Last I checked, and similar to most airlines, UA has large liabilities on its balance sheet for accrued miles. This is a play to potentially save a lot of money.

Devaluation is part of the game when all of us signed up to earn miles.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
DL can get away with this because they are higher quality. People don’t expect to use skymiles. I usually put mine on flying blue. Or for upgrades (which DL just made easier). I don’t know that it will work as well at UA’s quality level.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Artpen100
DL can get away with this because they are higher quality. People don’t expect to use skymiles. I usually put mine on flying blue. Or for upgrades (which DL just made easier). I don’t know that it will work as well at UA’s quality level.
This maybe the hot news in the aviation community, but for much of the flying public, the devaluation largely non-event. It's not huge issue for DL just like this won't be a huge issue for UA outside of the FT and other similar communities. Within the community, we will keep complain about both programs all the time.

I don't understand your statement about "People don't expect to use Skymiles.". Are you saying most people don't have enough miles when they see the results of a redemption search? To be fair, SM has good US domestic redemption rates. You can use VS for DL's INTL premium cabin.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Incorrect -- buying in the UR mall does indeed grant PQDs. This is because Chase is buying a revenue ticket on your behalf -- you are just paying Chase UR points instead of dollars. But Chase is paying UA dollars. It's treated by UA exactly as if you purchase a UA ticket from, say, Orbitz or a travel agent. As long as you don't get some kind of weird bulk fare, you get full PQDs and PQMs.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Even on UA stock or UA metal, Chase is buying a mix of bulk (0 PQD) and published fares.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Exactly, because it can.

Last I checked, and similar to most airlines, UA has large liabilities on its balance sheet for accrued miles. This is a play to potentially save a lot of money.

Devaluation is part of the game when all of us signed up to earn miles.
When you can't grow revenue quickly, the best thing to increase or stabilize your stock price is to cut costs and liabilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.