Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
I know this doesnt always work and UA probably thought this through but what about a campaign over the next few days to send as much negative feedback to United as possible. I just got a survey this morning from them and usually ignore or give an ok review but today I made a point to give a bad rating and mention the new dynamic award pricing as the reason why. On a side note: I would be ok with dynamic pricing with a cap but to have a "sky's the limit" approach where you see $1M awards for flights to Asia in economy (the Delta example someone posted in this thread), is a real punch in the stomach.

Here is the link to providing feedback if anyone is interested:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx
When I search for Delta One flights LAX-TYO, out to the end of the year, I see scattered availability at 90k one way, and a lot more at 120k

When I search for Polaris for SFO-TYO I see a big pile of nothing for saver space. It can be booked for 175k.

The 70k number in the chart is meaningless if there's no availability.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, but my assumption was that they would have done that anyway. So, you'd be paying twice -- extra miles plus the close-in booking fee.
A close-in booking fee discourages close-in bookings, which seems counterintuitive if an airline has made seats available to somewhat monetize unsold capacity at the last minute.
SL
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by flyme2
I respectfully disagree. IME, I have seen savings of much more than $2K in redeeming a GPU on booking. One can't rely on TOD as a given, and it is not universally offered. One has to deal in certainties, not possiblities. Value is market sensitive, but price out an east coast J class fare to Asia and draw your own conclusions. YMMV, of course, but I have always come out ahead of the $2K/GPU valuation. I would welcome examples otherwise to broaden the analysis.
I also respectfully disagree. Post #296 perfectly sums it up on my behalf. Most East Coast US to EU examples would bust your analysis - as a current example, I just paid $2300 return in J outright NYC-MAD mid Summer.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Sigh... this could impact my planned trip to MCT next March. I've been waiting to book and now, just a few short weeks before I can seriously start looking at flight options, they throw this out there. Hopefully the partner awards will actually show as saver awards (right now if I look at the furthest out I can, they are only showing standard awards on partners - this seems to be new behavior for them as I swear it used to only price as saver J awards if you were flying partners). When I get around to booking. I was hoping to do a stop in Europe, but now I'm concerned that the flights to Europe will be much more expensive in terms of miles. I guess I will continue to wait-and-see.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by flyme2
I respectfully disagree. IME, I have seen savings of much more than $2K in redeeming a GPU on booking. One can't rely on TOD as a given, and it is not universally offered. One has to deal in certainties, not possiblities. Value is market sensitive, but price out an east coast J class fare to Asia and draw your own conclusions. YMMV, of course, but I have always come out ahead of the $2K/GPU valuation. I would welcome examples otherwise to broaden the analysis.
I have been on BOS to PEK via SFO for $2K a bunch of times; EWR return (752/77W/772). I am heading to BRU from EWR for the same price later this year a couple times after 78J launches on the route.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Without an award chart UA can charge whatever they feel like charging for these without any need to provide notice of changing rates. That's a major program devaluation.
Indeed, an award chart is straighforward; no chart is bait&switch at its purest!

Originally Posted by cornfedcowboy
I will be truly impressed if your opinion makes United develop a guilt complex.
I strongly support every effort to let UA know. If they don't hear, they think they get away with it.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by raehl311
So I got an email today from United telling me I'm switching all my spend to Marriott cards..

Since I'm always chasing status, I use my miles for friends and family when the mileage value is better than the cash fare, and a little bit for the change flexibility as a 1K.

Dynamic pricing just means the value redemptions (ie someone needs to get to a funeral tomorrow and the airfare is $700 but there's still saver availability) will go away.

And if the miles basically just have cash value, might as well just use a cash back card.

Feel like United is killing the Golden Goose here... Kinda hard to sell miles no one wants.
This... This is why I was keeping a stash of miles, now there's no reason to keep any miles and therefore was the final straw in staying loyal to MP.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by am1108
This... This is why I was keeping a stash of miles, now there's no reason to keep any miles and therefore was the final straw in staying loyal to MP.
Precisely. Dynamic pricing means they will tag miles to a specific value so we won't be able to find better value in the system regardless of the dates and origin/destination. Earning miles essentially becomes a form of cash back - changing the way frequent flyer programs have worked over the past several decades.

There's little reason to stick with a particular carrier, given that upgrades are hard to find and overall benefits have been devalued significantly.

There's also little reason to keep any of the Chase CCs unless someone needs a UC membership or someone needs PQD waiver. Why not switch all UA CC spending to CSR or CFU?

But as the airline industry is dominated by a few airlines in the U.S., and many airports are dominated by one or two carriers, I guess the management believes passengers won't really move to another airline because of the lack of choices. The only exception is one can easily fly a foreign airline on international flights, which is what I intend to do from now on.

Finally, the U.S. airline industry is betting on lucrative corporate contracts rather than revenue from SMBs or individuals. This has been the shift in the industry. As passengers, we need to take a different perspective and make it work to our advantage.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
There seems to be a built in assumption that while award prices will be dynamic, they will be the same for everyone. I am not sure this will be the case. Why wouldn't UA charge more for people with large balances? Why wouldn't United charge more to elites? If they are caught at it, they just shrug and say "it's not us...it's the algorithm!"
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
No, the partners add fuel surcharges.
As mentioned, rubbish.

The ticketing airline decides to add on surcharges (as proof you can see Aeroplan's statement in that matter)
AC collectes YQ on some carriers and not others - they decide, not the partners.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
There seems to be a built in assumption that while award prices will be dynamic, they will be the same for everyone. I am not sure this will be the case. Why wouldn't UA charge more for people with large balances? Why wouldn't United charge more to elites? If they are caught at it, they just shrug and say "it's not us...it's the algorithm!"
UA has too much to lose, unless they remove the ability to search while not logged in. There are certain types of manipulation that are particularly damaging for your reputation, and this is one of them. There would be a lot of explaining to do if you saw a price of 75K when logged out and 100K when logged in.

If they think they can get the higher number of miles, I think they'll just charge that to everyone.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by sunil
Forget about 2% I get 3.5 for travel & dining and 2.625% for all other spend on BOA card by having 100K of assets with them. Beats ANY mileage card any day !
I have searched, but cannot find. Can you kindly inform us which card?

Thank you.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
I have searched, but cannot find. Can you kindly inform us which card?

Thank you.
BofA premium cash rewards for those with $100K plus in assets with the Bank. It also has a $95 fee, but offers $100 airline credit & $100 to GE per five years.

PS - obviously, would defeat the purpose if one were to have $100K in a deposit account, but ideal for orphan IRAs, where you get 100 free trades per Q on their Merrill Edge platform.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
As mentioned, rubbish.

The ticketing airline decides to add on surcharges (as proof you can see Aeroplan's statement in that matter)
AC collectes YQ on some carriers and not others - they decide, not the partners.
So you think that it's just coincidence that the surcharges are the same as when you book directly with the operating carrier?

The operating carrier charges them. The ticketing carrier can eat them (as part of the cost) or pass them on. DL is much, much better than the other domestic airlines in this regard.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
........ DL is much, much better than the other domestic airlines in this regard.
can you please elaborate, inhowfar DL is much better ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.