Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MP Shifting Focus to Grants vs Currency

Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium

I get the sense UA is shifting the focus of MP towards 'grants' vs 'currency'.

Currency - is miles. The currency continues to devalue over time, so if you're accumulating miles, you're swimming upstream in perpetuity. The average 1K probably earns 200K miles/yr, arguably worth $2K/yr after recent devaluation.

Grants - are things like GPUs, fee waivers, luggage allowances, free meals, early boarding, etc. The six annual GPU grants alone are worth ~12K/yr. The other stuff probably worth $1K/yr.

As a 1K, UA has given me the following recently:

1. Free meal/box in E+
2. Pre boarding before Business Class
3. Less competition for GPUing to Polaris by allowing PP to burn GPUs.
4. Less competition for GPUing to Polaris by reducing miles in circulation (via eliminating award chart)
5. Fewer 1Ks due to increased spend requirement this year
6. Reduced GS benefits to one additional co-traveler only
7. When wifi flips to free, it might be for 1K/GS only
8. After this devaluation, there will be a mass exodus from Chase cards to Citi Prestige & Amex, as they can spray to partner airlines.

I'm feeling good as a 1K. My conclusion after this recent devaluation is to chase grants vs miles -- especially lifetime grants!
​​
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Currency - is miles. The currency continues to devalue over time, so if you're accumulating miles, you're swimming upstream in perpetuity. The average 1K probably earns 200K miles/yr, arguably worth $2K/yr after recent devaluation.
I no longer have any idea what they are worth, but I routinely got 2.5 cpm or better on redemptions -- saver awards for last minute tickets or smaller airports, international premium cabin flights, etc.

The six annual GPU grants alone are worth ~12K/yr.
No, they're not. GPUs sell for about $400 or so on the black market. Does it really make sense for UA to provide $12K worth of value as a reward for $12K (until this year) worth of flying?

1. Free meal/box in E+
Maximum value $10/flight; $20 if you drink.

2. Pre boarding before Business Class
Personal value: $0. (Actually, it's slightly negative for me; I really, really dislike the new system, since I have no obvious place to stand).

3. Less competition for GPUing to Polaris by allowing PP to burn GPUs.
I'll believe it when I see PZ space.

4. Less competition for GPUing to Polaris by reducing miles in circulation (via eliminating award chart)
GPUs had higher priority than saver awards -- and people who were mile-rich enough to buy standard J awards will probably still do so.

5. Fewer 1Ks due to increased spend requirement this year
"Screw all of you guys! Ha ha ha!"

6. Reduced GS benefits to one additional co-traveler only
Ditto

7. When wifi flips to free, it might be for 1K/GS only
"When?"

8. After this devaluation, there will be a mass exodus from Chase cards to Citi Prestige & Amex, as they can spray to partner airlines.
And this affects you how?

I'm feeling good as a 1K. My conclusion after this recent devaluation is to chase grants vs miles -- especially lifetime grants!
​​
There's something to be said for status being more valuable than miles, yes. I take severe issue with your calculations, however.
Silver Fox and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:01 pm

The average 1K probably earns 200K miles/yr, arguably worth $2K/yr after recent devaluation.

Grants - are things like GPUs, fee waivers, luggage allowances, free meals, early boarding, etc. The six annual GPU grants alone are worth ~12K/yr. The other stuff probably worth $1K/yr.​​
$2K + $12K + $1K = $15K PQD

Putting aside any disagreements about the values that you assign to benefits, and there are many, are you saying that, as a 1K, one gets to fly United for free?)))))))
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I no longer have any idea what they are worth, but I routinely got 2.5 cpm or better on redemptions -- saver awards for last minute tickets or smaller airports, international premium cabin flights, etc.
I think they might fix that with the new variable rate awards and the lack of a close-in ticketing fee (which to me implies the rates for close-in awards will be high).
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
I think they might fix that with the new variable rate awards and the lack of a close-in ticketing fee (which to me implies the rates for close-in awards will be high).
Right; prior to the change, I got 2.5cpm+. Now, who knows?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
No, they're not. GPUs sell for about $400 or so on the black market.
Isn't that a bit silly. Engaging in the black market closes your MP account and earns you a lifetime ban. The difference between a W fare and C fare is at least $2K for most Polaris flights. Many of us use all our certs every year, realizing at least $12K in value.

Originally Posted by UA Apologist
$2K + $12K + $1K = $15K PQD

Putting aside any disagreements about the values that you assign to benefits, and there are many, are you saying that, as a 1K, one gets to fly United for free?)))))))
Even better than free. If the company is paying the $15K PMD, and I'm using the certs for personal vacations, etc. I'm actually making 15K!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 6, 2019 at 5:17 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Engaging in the black market closes your MP account and earns you a lifetime ban.
That doesn't change the fact that they can be bought.

The difference between a W fare and C fare is at least $2K for most Polaris flights.
Anyone is free to assign any unrealistic value they want to make themselves happy. I would say the $400 value figure is much closer to reality. Just because they charge $2K doesn't mean it's worth that. If it were, C would always be full (which is the ultimate goal of the airline pricing system) and there would be no room for upgrades.

And even using your valuation, that $2K is for a round trip, so divide your mythical value by two.
tomwhom likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All of this presupposes that most 1K's actually think about the value of these items. For someone who does not have the cash to spend, a redemption at $0.01/mile may be a great deal. Similarly, someone who simply wants a ticket may not bother looking at how the award "prices." The same for GPU's.

It's a closely guarded secret, but the breakage on non-cash tickets and upgrades is likely significant.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That doesn't change the fact that they can be bought.

Anyone is free to assign any unrealistic value they want to make themselves happy. I would say the $400 value figure is much closer to reality. Just because they charge $2K doesn't mean it's worth that. If it were, C would always be full (which is the ultimate goal of the airline pricing system) and there would be no room for upgrades.

And even using your valuation, that $2K is for a round trip, so divide your mythical value by two.
A better question is whether the OP pays for C when he runs out of upgrades. If so, then the upgrades are clearly worth the price difference to him. If not, then they are clearly not. The value of the upgrade is the lesser of the max that you would pay for it, and the amount you can buy it for. The sticker price is irrelevant, as is the amount the anyone else is willing to pay for it.

The value need not be the same to everyone.
jsloan, chavala, MTan and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't that a bit silly. Engaging in the black market closes your MP account and earns you a lifetime ban. The difference between a W fare and C fare is at least $2K for most Polaris flights. Many of us use all our certs every year, realizing at least $12K in value.
No, it's not the least bit silly. There's a discount factor in there because it's the black market, but it's not 75%.

At the very most, you could say that they are worth the combination of the miles + copay for that route. You've valued miles at $0.01/each, so the most expensive GPU in the system (to Asia, from a W fare) would be worth about $900. And they're actually worth less than that, because you have to buy up to W to use them, whereas you can get a miles + copay upgrade from a G/K fare if one is available.

They also need to be discounted for the difficulty of use and possibility of breakage -- even though I've used mine, it's a hassle to fly mid-week. And, they should be compared to the cost of a TOD, especially if your'e going to waitlist them. TODs are often in the $600-$800 range for most trans-oceanic journeys in the cases when waitlisted GPUs are likely to clear.

I value my GPUs at $500, and that's only because I've been successful finding PZ space so far.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

I'm not trying to quibble over the value of the grants. I'm simply saying UA strategy for the MP Program, for the foreseeable future, is becoming clear. The last 1/2 dozen major changes to MP have favored those with status. I'm simply saying it may be better to maximize status instead of maximizing miles.
chavala likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:06 pm

Even better than free. If the company is paying the $15K PMD, and I'm using the certs for personal vacations, etc. I'm actually making 15K!
Hey, @UNITED, you should consider hiring @spartacusmcfly to do marketing!
jsloan, Silver Fox, m.y and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
At most a GPU is worth sub-$1K.

Mileage Upgrades are the same as GPUs, and max out at 20k miles + $550 for a W fare. You can generally buy 20k miles for ~$400 (sometimes less). So for less than $1K you're getting the same thing as a GPU.
narvik and Artpen100 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not trying to quibble over the value of the grants. I'm simply saying UA strategy for the MP Program, for the foreseeable future, is becoming clear. The last 1/2 dozen major changes to MP have favored those with status. I'm simply saying it may be better to maximize status instead of maximizing miles.
The last half dozen changes haven’t favored those with status, they’ve just been a bit less sucky. Every change is a reduction in benefits for everyone. People who are savvy wont bother playing the game anymore. Any sort of status benefit you want can now be purchased on any airline for a nominal fee. Even business class is cheap nowadays if you’re willing to always take the best priced airline regardless of alliance. Status is now a game for suckers. If your natural flying patterns get you status then great but chasing status and paying more to do so is not worth it IMHO. Personally, I just pay for a nicer seat now when I fly, Econ + or equivalent on any airline for flights under 5 hours and biz on flights over 5 hours. I pick the schedule and airline that is most convenient. That’s much better than a free snack in coach or having to fly on Wednesday to use my GPU.

Last edited by travelinmanS; Apr 7, 2019 at 12:21 am
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The last 1/2 dozen major changes to MP have favored those with status. I'm simply saying it may be better to maximize status instead of maximizing miles.
$12K -> $15K? Not for 1K
Boarding Realignment? Not for Plat
Increased redemption rates? Not for anyone

With discounted P fares, anyone can fly Polaris hard product for $2K R/T to Asia and Europe; $1,300 R/T or less transcon, without spending the time looking for those precious PZ spaces.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.