Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Angry

Originally Posted by mrt88
Why would anyone ever get the UA Chase card now?!
Perhaps only for the PQD spend waiver. But that's never been a great deal anyway. This really makes the Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve a lot better card than the Chase MP Explorer.

Down down down we go.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
1 million miles anyone? Just wait (for a little bit)....

Oh now you all can look forward to award prices like this!

PS - This is not fake - a real award search!

Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
  1. What happens to partner awards in the long run is a huge question for me
  2. This is not surprising, and also not completely irrational. That's even more true if the people it impacts worst are those who know best how to take advantage of the system. Welcome to life, folks, myself included.
  3. If this affects award inventory, there's a possibility that we see awards priced at less than standard but more than saver for a lot of travel dates. Makes sense from a market economics perspective.
  4. The pain will come in a couple of years. In the short term, I'd expect to see some cheaper awards at off-peak times. Great news for redemptions for my extended family who are retired and have 100% flexibility, for example. In the long term, as the system responds to "market forces" those lower bounds will rise.

Bottom line - yet another step in devaluation, one that we all knew was coming. As such, the age-old wisdom of earn them and burn them holds strong, unless you are ridiculously miles-rich, of course.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Could be some massive devaluations for GS members if saver and saver award conversions go away.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Between the increase in PQD required to make 1K (to match DL), and now the adoption of the DL mileage "chart..." I really feel like UA wants me to fly DL. I just wish DL had better partners. SkyTeam is unappealing.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:00 pm

I think, airlines feel safe devaluing their miles based on the fact that blogs keep promoting them no matter what they'll do. Blogs are getting compensated for every sign up and they will always promote some SWEAT SPOT that is sour according to yesterdays standards.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Took a while for UA to follow DL, but I will respond in kind. I will no longer worry about status, even ignoring how close I am to MM at this point. When the economy takes another turn will they want me back? Don't know and don't care at this point. Don't have time for some grand vacation this summer, and for the first time I'm thinking of dumping my huge mileage balance on anything to get rid of them. The obsessive nature I have had for over a decade with airline and hotels is coming to an end. What worked in my favor seems to have come to an end, and there is no reason to waste time and money to be loyal, and for what, a chance at an upgrade that is sold out from under my feet to a nobody? Better to be the nobody and pay when I care.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
United Eliminating Fixed Award Pricing

Just got this from UA.
We’re removing our award chart and introducing a broader range of award prices.
Danforth, we're making some updates to award travel. Here's what you need to know:
■ For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we'll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:36 pm

I swear to goodness...some of these policies seem like they are written in Swahili. I'm so very thankful for Flyertalk trying to decipher some of this gibberish.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:39 pm

Is this going to have any repercussions with Marriott as they are partners? For UK readers transferring Marriott points to United is the only real way to earn United points.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
What a shame UA ... Wonder how many years it will take you to catch up to DL and offer as little value as possible in your rewards program? Thankfully partner awards aren't affected yet but it is only a mater of time. Time to start planning to my next vacation to burn my miles while I can still get some high value redemption (just like I did with Marriott). The 5k special was just a tactic to lighten the blow of an massive upcoming devaluation.

I live in an AA hub yet I chose to fly UA because they have a better rewards program and status benefits. At least I am just starting out with United and have not heavily invested in working toward MM status so leaving will be easy. Will be considering switching to AA or back to WN (if only AS was an option ).

I guess Marriott and UA partnership is made to be. First Marriott destroyed their program and lost many of their most loyal customers. Now UA is take a big step down the same path .
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Gross. Way to copy something DL does that truly sucks...
Would Kirby do it any other way? When he can't think of a way to screw customers on his own, he just copies Delta.

He must be really happy this week - first screw over Polaris customers with stripped out meal service, now follow it up with screwing everyone else.

I wonder how this change will affect partner awards. I'm rich with miles because I only use them to move my folks and I between Toronto and Florida on Air Canada. If these former 12,000 awards are going to be Deltafied to the typical nonsense I see at Delta for 75,000 in coach, I'm not even sure what I'll do with the miles.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by bocastephen

Would Kirby do it any other way? When he can't think of a way to screw customers on his own, he just copies Delta.

He must be really happy this week - first screw over Polaris customers with stripped out meal service, now follow it up with screwing everyone else.

I wonder how this change will affect partner awards. I'm rich with miles because I only use them to move my folks and I between Toronto and Florida on Air Canada. If these former 12,000 awards are going to be Deltafied to the typical nonsense I see at Delta for 75,000 in coach, I'm not even sure what I'll do with the miles.
Never thought I would do this, but thinking of dumping my miles as well as my wife’s for pretty much anything in the catalog. TV’s, computers, etc. Now that UA has made it clear that they don’t care about me, I refuse to care about them.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
What's happened with DL is that TATL J awards are 160k or higher.

But then they have these occasional sales which bring it down to 125k or something like that. Except from SFO, the routings are HORRIBLE, like over 20 hours outbound and return.

I guess it's time to look around at switching.

When will we be able to see this new pricing scheme, any award travel scheduled after Nov 15 or do we have to wait until Nov 15 to get an idea of the horror?

By then may not be the best time to book some qualifying flights for 2020.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:47 pm
formerly smoaky

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
interesting, economy to Australia in Nov only 40k each way on some flights.....some intl business is 70k. Maybe offseason this is a GOOD thing...
No, it's not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.