Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by bennos
Right, the programs were unsustainably generous in the past (1 free domestic r/t for every 2 TCONs a top tier elite flies???), but the devaluations are certainly painful for those who were taking advantage.
No question about it. I wonder if anyone has written articles on this? Across the board, loyalty programs continue to devalue, from airlines, to hotels, to Starbucks, to Peet's...it seems to be a massive trend at least in the US.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
What will happen to award rates for UA metal booked through other *A carriers' programs? Is this the time to (re)discover Aeroplan or Agean?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
And that would be beyond what Delta did/does
While DL metal awards are a ridiculous amount (870k is normal), I can reliably get YYZ-Asia for 85,000 on a partner award in J
Likewise, YYZ-Europe is 320k on DL metal, and 75k on KLM.
Low-level DL J awards on DL metal for YYZ-EU are the same as US-EU -- they are CSV1050 awards for 105K each way. They had an award sale for several weeks just recently where they were 64K each way for July and August flights. Contrary to some assertions here, there are no formulas on DL to convert from revenue fare pricing to awards and you can still find reasonable redemptions if you watch for the sales (or take advantage of the partner awards). Coach US-EU on Skyteam partners is 25K each way.

The reality is that DL still has fixed levels, even though they are not published, and they are not nearly as numerous as the revenue fares. So they can't really match award levels to revenue fares even if they wanted to. I understand why people don't like it, but it's still not really like the WN system where there are largely fixed formulas. Delta has had the pay-with-miles option (at 1 CPM) for DL Amex cardholders for over a decade now. If they wanted to go that route for all awards, they certainly would have by now. There are advance purchase requirements for these awards, but they do actually publish these requirements in the fare rules for the awards, so it's not actually a mystery as you can click on the fare rules link and read them.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 5, 2019 at 6:20 pm
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by mrt88
Makes other *A partners look much better as transfer partners from credit cards. Why would anyone ever get the UA Chase card now?!
those with no status who can easily get value from free bags, priority boarding, and the lounge passes. Also those who use it to qualify for the PQD waiver.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott (Plat Premier, LT Plat)
Does this mean that the GS benefit of T>XN effectively is a mute point?? UA has not only ruined MP but have also removed any benefit of keeping GS.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by TA
Another nail to the coffin of any remaining enthusiasm for UAL. New award structure is based purely on financial calculus, so my allegiance to UA will be as well.
We all need to take a step back from the loyalty we are showing to those who don’t value it.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I believe this change is due to Chase primarily (and you all know why). Like many, I am also in concern about the potential devaluation. Nevertheless, I remain optimistic about this change.

Unlike UA, DL miles become SkyPeso way before DL decided switching to dynamic pricing. And of course, dynamic pricing does not help DL at all.

I believe most of the routes will see an award reduction rather than increase. Of course, in routes which are demanding (like SFO-HKG J award), the award is going to skyrock for sure.

But still I am disappointed to see UA do nothing about the close-in waiver.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by ua_sp_102366
Does this mean that the GS benefit of T>XN effectively is a mute point?? UA has not only ruined MP but have also removed any benefit of keeping GS.
IRROPS benefit is still pretty good IMO.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I don't think this is true. Awards will still book into I international, otherwise Star Partners would have nothing to give their members on United....it's simply how United charges for I awards on its own metal that will have variable pricing....and I assume "standard" awards will stay in a much higher bucket that doesn't apply to alliance members anyways.
so——redeem on partners!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by edcho
IRROPS benefit is still pretty good IMO.
Which is what exactly? They book you ahead of everyone else?

Unfortunately, my experience this year has been horrible during IRROPS as well. I was on an SFO - ORD flight (Paid J). My original flight was delayed and they wouldn't let me get a first class seat even though a seat was available. They said that coach is oversold and they have to upgrade someone in order to open up a coach seat.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
What will happen to award rates for UA metal booked through other *A carriers' programs? Is this the time to (re)discover Aeroplan or Agean?
They will continue to follow the rules of that program, as they do now. However, this is going to be an industrywide change; at best, you may get a couple of years out of going to another program. Also, expect this space to continue to be rare (it already is).

That's an excellent question. For whatever duration of time they maintain separate YN, HN, and XN buckets, there will likely be some difference between them. We'll probably have to start gathering data -- what price do people see when logged in vs. not?

Originally Posted by garykung
I believe most of the routes will see an award reduction rather than increase. Of course, in routes which are demanding (like SFO-HKG J award), the award is going to skyrock for sure.
Why on earth would you believe that? I can't think of one single change where most routes were affected positively.

Originally Posted by garykung
But still I am disappointed to see UA do nothing about the close-in waiver.
Huh? What do you mean? They're dropping close-in award booking fees. That's bad?

My original flight was delayed and they wouldn't let me get a first class seat even though a seat was available. They said that coach is oversold and they have to upgrade someone in order to open up a coach seat.
What makes you think a seat was available? You saw it on the seat map or you saw it in inventory?

They're not going to oversell another flight in order to get you out sooner.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 5, 2019 at 9:47 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by EWR764
Overall... this cannot possibly be a good thing.
I agree, other than occasionally for someone who books a close in award.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
What makes you think a seat was available? You saw it on the seat map or you saw it in inventory?

They're not going to oversell another flight in order to get you out sooner.
Booked full (12) checked in 11, about twenty minutes before departure. Boarding was in progress. Agent explained to me that they can't put me in J as they have blocked the seat to upgrade someone and free up the Y seat.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booked full (12) checked in 11, about twenty minutes before departure. Boarding was in progress. Agent explained to me that they can't put me in J as they have blocked the seat to upgrade someone and free up the Y seat.
Right -- in other words, there were no seats in inventory, and you were asking them to deny somebody boarding so that you could fly, after boarding was already in progress. Even for a GS, that doesn't seem like something they'd do.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
I suppose UA will also follow DL's example of dangling "flash sales" of extremely reduced mileage awards for TATL and TPACs in a weak attempt at convincing us there's some sort of value left in the loyalty program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.