Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Does UAL report the size of the liabilities tied to outstanding miles? If so it would be interesting to see how those liabilities change as a way of seeing how much UA themselves see this as a devalue.

Wonder how how this will impact mileage sales.

Seems like Ike this is net bad for the credit card companies as a devaluation of the currency will lead to less demand for the cards and less spend put on the cards. This would have to be made up by UA selling the miles at a lower cost which would make the economics of the card companies better. But I’m guess they have committed to buying those miles at certain rates for some period of time so until they renegotiate this change is net bad for them.

The current fixed award award pricing seems to be able to at least take advantage of discriminatory pricing. It offers good value redemptions for those that are value conscious while st the same time offering bad redemption for those who are not. This change gets rid of some of that value to UA as it will lead to those who were otherwise willing to pay more who will get a deal, and those looking for deals moving their business elsewhere.

One
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just looking at the email received FR 3:45 p.m. - once more one of those Friday surprises!

How about upgrade awards? Will that chart still be valid?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:17 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by luv2vacay
Ugh, this is horrible. Delta Skymiles redemptions stink now (well unless you don't mind flying coach for 10+ hours).

I'll bet AA follows suit soon as well. The "only" good thing about AA is that the credit card bonuses are very churnable. Not so with Delta, although slightly better with UA (well comparatively speaking).

Guess I better learn to fly coach from now on or start getting 2nd and 3rd job to afford cash flights now.

AA is already experimenting with this through “Web Economy Specials,” which are dynamically priced awards starting at 5000 miles. I’ve seen these awards balloon to 2-3x more than their MileSAAver awards. Expect an announcement in/around November.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:25 pm

I feel UA is going too far on this road. I have a very complicated feeling to UA as it is my first flight ever to the US and for me it means something. Then it came with worse service, then bit passenger, kill dogs, I still tried to fly with it. Then it came out with the crazy idea of basic economy, I felt terrible and insulted when flying cheap (no preassigned seat, I have to wait at the airport, they also carefully reviewed my credit card to make sure I do not steal their 30 dollar baggage fee, etc), but why I chose to pay more just to avoid to get insulted by UA, and it also not accumulate segment, it ended up that I have no desire to fly UA at all. Luckily they finnaly improved a bit, I decided probably to give it a try again, then came with this crazy devaluation idea of their award program which is probably the only thing UA worth a penny.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
For GS it is more than the question of T->XN. What about the J + IN when IN0? How many miles will UA want for the IN when I pay J?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
Right -- in other words, there were no seats in inventory, and you were asking them to deny somebody boarding so that you could fly, after boarding was already in progress. Even for a GS, that doesn't seem like something they'd do.
Guaranteed seat was a consistent benefit of GS (including getting people bumped) not sure about now - wrong thread to be discussing, but I'm rarely on FT nowadays.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
MileagePaisa?

Delta has SkyPesos. Will it become MileagePaisa for United or does someone else have a better option?
(100 Indian Paisa = 1 Indian Rupee, approx. 70 Indian Rupees = 1 US Dollar)
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
For GS it is more than the question of T->XN. What about the J + IN when IN0? How many miles will UA want for the IN when I pay J?
That's another good question. I'd guess it falls into the same category of "we haven't worked out the details yet." They'll probably follow the same script for all of these. In the short term, they'll probably use the chart, even if it doesn't have official meaning after November 15. For the longer term, who knows...? They're going to want to try to keep GS customers happy, but they seem intent upon devaluing their program as rapidly as possible. It's a fine line.

I suggest you (and other affected GSes) ask UA, and take the time to complain about the direction of the program. It probably won't help in the immediate future -- I doubt they're going to walk back their announcement -- but it might help temper the Next Bad Thing UA is likely to introduce.

Originally Posted by ermintrude
Guaranteed seat was a consistent benefit of GS (including getting people bumped) not sure about now - wrong thread to be discussing, but I'm rarely on FT nowadays.
Agreed, it's the wrong thread. IIRC, there are limits; I think it required a cancellation and a certain amount of time before departure. 20 minutes ahead, for a flight that's only delayed -- I don't think that's part of the program. (Then again, it's not really documented)...
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Why on earth would you believe that? I can't think of one single change where most routes were affected positively.
Then why on earth would you believe it will be a bad thing?

FWIW - there is no way to tell how UA does that. People are scared because of DL's past. But the difference between DL and UA is UA miles has never devalued as much as SkyPeso. So I don't think it will come to that.

Huh? What do you mean? They're dropping close-in award booking fees. That's bad?
I will lose my waiver. Enough said?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Then why on earth would you believe it will be a bad thing?
History with UA. I can't think of one single MileagePlus change that they've made since the merger that has had the effect of making most destinations cheaper.

FWIW - there is no way to tell how UA does that. People are scared because of DL's past. But the difference between DL and UA is UA miles has never devalued as much as SkyPeso. So I don't think it will come to that.
You're certainly entitled to your optimism. I point to the entire months' worth of maxed-out everyday awards on the calendar -- at least on days that I'd want to travel. UA miles haven't devalued quite as much as DL's, but they're on their way.

I will lose my waiver. Enough said?
There's nothing to waive! They're getting rid of the fees.

You're angry that other people are also having their fees waived? I don't get it.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
After almost two decades as a UA or CO elite, I’m now a WN CP/A-lister and AS MVP. This change reaffirms my decision, and makes me feel dumb for my 25k EQMs of UA flights later this year.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by LBJ

Delta raised its forecast of first-quarter profit, citing higher demand from business travelers. Delta shares rose and helped lift other airline stocks...
And this is the only reality for publicly traded entities. They are beholding to their shareholders first and foremost. Whether passengers/customers are satisfied or not is largely irrelevant until profits suffer. For those who think DL is suffering because of their weak FFP or derogatory SkyPeso reference, their profits do not support that conjecture. Like it or not, UA is merely following their successful business model. Do I like the new redemption scheme? Of course not. But were I invested in UAL, I would be open to getting more value from my investment. Perhaps as a hedge against the devalued MP miles, one should invest in UAL and hope for increased dividends.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by flyme2
And this is the only reality for publicly traded entities. They are beholding to their shareholders first and foremost. Whether passengers/customers are satisfied or not is largely irrelevant until profits suffer. For those who think DL is suffering because of their weak FFP or derogatory SkyPeso reference, their profits do not support that conjecture. Like it or not, UA is merely following their successful business model. Do I like the new redemption scheme? Of course not. But were I invested in UAL, I would be open to getting more value from my investment. Perhaps as a hedge against the devalued MP miles, one should invest in UAL and hope for increased dividends.
No, one should call and email one's state and federal representatives and demand that they strengthen antitrust laws.

It's now more obvious than ever that allowing the wave of airline mergers over the last two decades was a gigantic mistake for consumers in this country.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Burn all your miles on LH and NH F before it's too late.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:23 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
Wonder how this will impact mileage sales.
​​​FWIW I had been watching NYC-BKK saver in F/J rewards at +11 months like a hawk. Glad I pulled the trigger this week and burned my last significant chunk of miles. Dumb luck.

Was considering purchasing some additional miles during the next 100% bonus sale to get my balance back to a r/t redemption level amount. No way no how now.

SL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.