Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy to Hawaii to launch in May 2021 - PlusPoints Now Required to Upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy to Hawaii to launch in May 2021 - PlusPoints Now Required to Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by cache77
How was P+? Are they actually serving alcoholic drinks and food?
Had so much fun in Hawaii that I forgot to post a review!

They did serve us alcohol, but only with lunch after takeoff and again about an hour before landing. Lunch was curry chicken over noodles, salad w/ sesame ginger dressing, roll, and a cookie. It was tasty, but definitely didn’t keep me from getting hungry later in the flight. Other than lunch, they only came around with the usual snacks (cookies and pretzels) a couple times. The first thing we did in Kahului was hit up a food truck.

Overall, I felt like the seat was great for a flight that long when you don’t really want to sleep anyway. But the service was less than premium with the fact they only came around offering beverages twice, and food was sparse. They did hand out small water bottles every other hour or so. I used miles so it was a fun treat, but if I had paid $250 for the upgrade I would have felt like it wasn’t a good value versus just staying in E+ and spending it in Maui.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by NJDevils26
Had so much fun in Hawaii that I forgot to post a review!

They did serve us alcohol, but only with lunch after takeoff and again about an hour before landing. Lunch was curry chicken over noodles, salad w/ sesame ginger dressing, roll, and a cookie. It was tasty, but definitely didn’t keep me from getting hungry later in the flight. Other than lunch, they only came around with the usual snacks (cookies and pretzels) a couple times. The first thing we did in Kahului was hit up a food truck.

Overall, I felt like the seat was great for a flight that long when you don’t really want to sleep anyway. But the service was less than premium with the fact they only came around offering beverages twice, and food was sparse. They did hand out small water bottles every other hour or so. I used miles so it was a fun treat, but if I had paid $250 for the upgrade I would have felt like it wasn’t a good value versus just staying in E+ and spending it in Maui.
I've harped on this a few times, but I took the inaugural EWR-OGG and found the service to be pathetic. Exactly the same as you describe, one formal drink service on a 9h flight, followed by "bartending" in the galley. Nothing at all proactive (e.g., refills, offers to clear trash, snacks, etc.).

767 PE is great for a daytime flight, IMO, but United needs to get a memo to encourage its flight attendants to, you know, actually do their jobs.
SPN Lifer and NJDevils26 like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 11:30 am

What would you recommend for a redeye from OGG to ORD with with 2 kids (7/9) who have never flown a redeye. Debating between Economy Plus and Premium Plus.

Main concern is ability to sleep.

Not concerned about alcohol.
Old May 2, 2022, 12:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by playsccr
What would you recommend for a redeye from OGG to ORD with with 2 kids (7/9) who have never flown a redeye. Debating between Economy Plus and Premium Plus.

Main concern is ability to sleep....
As a single seat PremPlus is better -- couple inches wider , more padding, more recline. less activity in the min-cabin, ...

However in economy on a lightly booked flight and if you can find a empty row, then raise the arm rests and you have a mini-bed for kids. However, finding such an empty flight to Hawai'i may not be realistic.
Old May 2, 2022, 12:21 pm

we are a family of 4 so we would book the middle 4 seats as the plane is a 3-4-3 Boeing 777-200 in Economy Plus; or 2 and 2 for Premium Plus.
Old May 2, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As a single seat PremPlus is better -- couple inches wider , more padding, more recline. less activity in the min-cabin, ...

However in economy on a lightly booked flight and if you can find a empty row, then raise the arm rests and you have a mini-bed for kids. However, finding such an empty flight to Hawai'i may not be realistic.
I'd expect the July 9 OGG-ORD to go out completely full - Saturday outbound with Sunday arrival is a peak travel day to ORD and you are coming off of people vacationing from July 4. The empty row trick would not work on today's flight - and we are technically off peak right now.

I'd get the Premium Plus. The 4 middles are a tight fit - and if you can't sleep, you've got a decent entertainment screen in Premium Plus.
Old May 2, 2022, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'd expect the July 9 OGG-ORD to go out completely full - Saturday outbound with Sunday arrival is a peak travel day to ORD and you are coming off of people vacationing from July 4. The empty row trick would not work on today's flight - and we are technically off peak right now.

I'd get the Premium Plus. The 4 middles are a tight fit - and if you can't sleep, you've got a decent entertainment screen in Premium Plus.

Thank you for the response; I am looking to fly August 7 from OGG to DEN (Econ Plus) or OGG to ORD (Prem Plus)
Old May 2, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by playsccr
Thank you for the response; I am looking to fly August 7 from OGG to DEN (Econ Plus) or OGG to ORD (Prem Plus)
I thought (7/9) was the date - I guess it is the ages.

August 7 is prime peak in Hawaii - I still expect those flights to also go out 100% full (full peak is June/July/August, any holiday weekend, NYE, XMAS, Spring Break - essentially any time kids are out of school). Personally - I'd go Prem Plus
Old May 2, 2022, 1:59 pm

Thank you. I am then flying onto CLE (Home)
Old Dec 22, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
This should be easy to find but damned if I can... what are the upgrade costs in PP points for Y -> PE and PE -> Biz, on a three-class Hawaii airplane? I'm considering doing ORD-HNL which is currently a 781...
Old Dec 22, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by ljwobker
This should be easy to find but damned if I can... what are the upgrade costs in PP points for Y -> PE and PE -> Biz, on a three-class Hawaii airplane? I'm considering doing ORD-HNL which is currently a 781...
20 points Y to O
20 points Y to J
10 points O to J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.