Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy to Hawaii to launch in May 2021 - PlusPoints Now Required to Upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy to Hawaii to launch in May 2021 - PlusPoints Now Required to Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Have to look at this as more than O&D for domestic US. There is a significant European, particularly UK, market to HI and that involves a connection. If/when the US/UK air corridor becomes a reality, there will be a jump in premium cabin (as well as high-end hotel) for LH/UA & BA/AA.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
UA is already upgauging other routes too: KOA-DEN got bumped up from 752 to 763 which adds a lot of F capacity to the pair.
I think that is as much a function of aircraft availability and where they want to deploy those planes. On the news this morning, they pointed out the Spring Break bump has brought roughly 21,000 visitors per day to Hawaii versus roughly 31,000+ on a pre-pandemic normal day.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 11:18 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I think that is as much a function of aircraft availability and where they want to deploy those planes. On the news this morning, they pointed out the Spring Break bump has brought roughly 21,000 visitors per day to Hawaii versus roughly 31,000+ on a pre-pandemic normal day.
It might be close, but I don't think airlines are back at 67% of pre-pandemic capacity to Hawaii. So, while there hasn't been a complete recovery in tourist numbers, flights are increasingly fuller.

If we are talking about the long-range schedules (such as when PP launches to Hawaii, or additional seats/flights start) I think the gap will be even narrower.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
UA is already upgauging other routes too: KOA-DEN got bumped up from 752 to 763 which adds a lot of F capacity to the pair.

With the new first and premium economy entering the market, I hope it sticks. Pre-pandemic it was tough to buy a F ticket with cash many times.
DEN-LIH gets a similar upgauge too. Very exciting to see a widebody back in LIH after AA pulled the plug on their DFW-LIH 763 (which only lasted one season IIRC).
Old Mar 29, 2021, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dkc192
DEN-LIH gets a similar upgauge too. Very exciting to see a widebody back in LIH after AA pulled the plug on their DFW-LIH 763 (which only lasted one season IIRC).
Nice premium DEN-LIH. Random dates - BE is $800+ r.t. mid-week, 1100+ weekend. It'll be interesting relative to car rental and hotel prices - may be the highest summer rates ever.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 3:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Clear UA is categorizing Hawaii flights toward the premium capacity side, with matching fares. And less so toward the more price conscious flyer.
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Nice premium DEN-LIH. Random dates - BE is $800+ r.t. mid-week, 1100+ weekend. It'll be interesting relative to car rental and hotel prices - may be the highest summer rates ever.
$1,100 is a bargain compared to rental cars. Yesterday, cheapest compacts at HNL were going for $350/day on April 1-4. They've been snatched up - the only car available at the airport is a single convertible for $1,942 (source orbitz). That's what happens when you send most of your cars to the mainland and sell them off.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 4:45 pm

Looking at OGG -> EWR, I see a nonstop flight on 9/6, but don't see any after... https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...awaii-flights/ mentions that the route goes until 9/5, is this 9/6 flight likely to change? looking to buy F tickets but not sure if worth the risk at this point if it may change
Old Mar 29, 2021, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
AT the moment, the majority of UA's schedule beyond 6-8 weeks out (present mid-May) is just a placeholder and is not meaningful and subject to signifincat change. At the moment, it appears UA is adding service but the total schedule further out has more capacity than UA is flying today.
Often1 and Boringbarry like this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
AT the moment, the majority of UA's schedule beyond 6-8 weeks out (present mid-May) is just a placeholder and is not meaningful.
i see, so if it's important to have good seats (lie flat) we should look elsewhere? or does it seem likely the route will run and worth a gamble?
Old Mar 29, 2021, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boringbarry
i see, so if it's important to have good seats (lie flat) we should look elsewhere? ...
None of the other carriers are any different on this, all are doing monthly updates in the 6-8 weeks zone

or does it seem likely the route will run and worth a gamble?
UA seems to be focusing on Hawaii with premium seats, UA probably more likely than most to offer lie-flats but nothing is stable or predictable that far out. That's the reality of present airline schedules.

The good news is with the dropping of change fees, it is easier to be reactive if there is a change.
Boringbarry likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
i see, so if it's important to have good seats (lie flat) we should look elsewhere? or does it seem likely the route will run and worth a gamble?
Don't know of any air carrier which is making solid plans more than 30-45 days out. What if there is a fourth wave of the virus? What if Hawaii shuts down again? What if quarantines are imposed? If the RM/IM people knew that, they might commit.

On the flip side, there is a lot of money out there and a lot of people who will splurge to get out of town. People who might have flown BE a year ago are paying cash for a lie flat seat today and an ocean view when they get there.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
...Yesterday, cheapest compacts at HNL were going for $350/day on April 1-4. They've been snatched up - the only car available at the airport is a single convertible for $1,942 (source orbitz). That's what happens when you send most of your cars to the mainland and sell them off.
Those are desperation-at-Christmas prices. There are two rotations on Maui. Some cars go out (ship back to mainland or sell locally) after winter and summer high seasons and new cars come in just before those (gives max cars during high seasons). New cars didn't come in prior to last winter, but cars did go out.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
None of the other carriers are any different on this, all are doing monthly updates in the 6-8 weeks zone

UA seems to be focusing on Hawaii with premium seats, UA probably more likely than most to offer lie-flats but nothing is stable or predictable that far out. That's the reality of present airline schedules.

The good news is with the dropping of change fees, it is easier to be reactive if there is a change.
in the event the flight gets rerouted, would they also try to get lie flat on the new route, or pretty much random? and if not, guessing i wouldn't get a refund?
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm thinking if Hawaii becomes THE place to go this summer, last year's F fares will be this year's PE fares.

As a Hawaii resident who makes monthly trips off island, I'm kinda getting nervous about what the fares might be...
SPN Lifer and bluedemon211 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.