Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy to Hawaii to launch in May 2021 - PlusPoints Now Required to Upgrade

Premium Economy to Hawaii to launch in May 2021 - PlusPoints Now Required to Upgrade

Old Mar 25, 2021, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

"In May, United will begin offering United Premium Plus® service on select Hawaii routes, which includes a bigger, more comfortable seat and a complimentary meal. United Premium Plus will be available for customers traveling to Honolulu and Maui from Chicago and Denver and will be expanded in June to flights between Chicago and Kona, Houston and Honolulu, and New York/Newark and Maui.

https://hub.united.com/2021-03-25-un...651205573.html
Old Mar 25, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA HA AS
This tells me they are not expecting the 777-200 with the Pratt engines to return anytime soon and they want to start monetizing the premium economy seats they have been selling as economy plus.
cesco.g, SFO777 and xzh445 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cesco.g
"In May, United will begin offering United Premium Plus® service on select Hawaii routes, which includes a bigger, more comfortable seat and a complimentary meal. United Premium Plus will be available for customers traveling to Honolulu and Maui from Chicago and Denver and will be expanded in June to flights between Chicago and Kona, Houston and Honolulu, and New York/Newark and Maui.

https://hub.united.com/2021-03-25-un...651205573.html
Interesting, I wonder what they will do equipment wise for the ORD-OGG and ORD-KOA routes, should also mean better Polaris seating...
cesco.g and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Any plane with P+/PE seating will also have Polaris seating, so yes, booking a flight with P+ sold as a separate cabin will also "guarantee" Polaris seating (barring a last-minute equipment swap). I have a feeling we'll be seeing more hi-J 763s (already scheduled on EWR-OGG and been making several appearances as subs for regular 763s or various 777s) and/or internationally configured 777s flying to the islands.
singal3 and opusx100 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
I wonder if this will be a test case for adding P+ to the [mod edit] domestic 777s. They could even do it before they're back in the air.

Last edited by l etoile; May 6, 2021 at 7:14 pm Reason: Inappropriate
Old Mar 25, 2021, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by waddy
This tells me they are not expecting the 777-200 with the Pratt engines to return anytime soon and they want to start monetizing the premium economy seats they have been selling as economy plus.
Originally Posted by singal3
Interesting, I wonder what they will do equipment wise for the ORD-OGG and ORD-KOA routes, should also mean better Polaris seating...
They will have to reintroduce additional 763s out of storage. Given that, UA obviously (and likely realistically) does not expect significant additions to the summer TATL schedule, where those birds would be deployed.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
They could also fly the retrofitted 788/9s or 78x?

Originally Posted by JAaronT
I wonder if this will be a test case for adding P+ to the domestic 777s. They could even do it before they're back in the air.
No plan to retrofit the domestic configured 772s

Last edited by l etoile; May 6, 2021 at 7:15 pm Reason: Edit of quote
Old Mar 25, 2021, 3:09 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by JAaronT
I wonder if this will be a test case for adding P+ to the domestic 777s. They could even do it before they're back in the air.
Is it even certain that they will be back or that they even want them, back?

Last edited by l etoile; May 6, 2021 at 7:16 pm Reason: Edit of quote
Old Mar 25, 2021, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Is it even certain that they will be back or that they even want them, back?
*prayer emoji*
MysteryTour likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 3:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I'm all about this! Love having PE/P+ as an option for longer flying.
unitedbusiness likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I’m guessing the 777’s aren’t coming back or is UA going to put the 787’s on these routes?
Old Mar 25, 2021, 4:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I’m guessing the 777’s aren’t coming back or is UA going to put the 787’s on these routes?
yeah, I would say not before July 4th it seems. I think we'll end up seeing more 763's come out to start backfill.

are there any 787's in storage?
Old Mar 25, 2021, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by waddy
I would say you're 100% right - I am sure Kirby would be howling at the prospect of giving these nicer seats to elite level and full fare coach customers for free. I am sure the fares will reflect the superior onboard service, or more precisely, a snack box tossed your way somewhere around 'half way to Hawai'i

In any case, we are basically getting the same seats from the west coast to Hawai'i in the form of domestic narrowbody first class, so I am guessing the P+ fares will be about the same, giving an option to bump the Polaris seat (not service) fares much higher.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
With Hawaii tickets going like hotcakes lets hope this becomes the trend and they bring these planes out on all the East coast Hawaii routes sooner rather than later. With TATL essentially closed, let them make more money and give us a better seat!
Old Mar 25, 2021, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Positive step, and if it's a side affect of the grounding of the HD 777's, it will likely show the demand for first, as well as PE will do well to the islands from not all, but many locations. In the last two years of living in Maui, I wouldn't touch a coach ticket, it was first or I wasn't going for my monthly back and forth. The crap quantity on the HD's was a joke. Seat was fine, I'm not a complete snob, but first class was often unavailable many days in advance. 28J was way too low.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.