Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy to Hawaii to launch in May 2021 - PlusPoints Now Required to Upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy to Hawaii to launch in May 2021 - PlusPoints Now Required to Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2021, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The future is not about dirt cheap fares & hotel rooms. Not only is there a lot of high-end Hawaii demand right now, but some of those people who thought that nothing could possibly come close to a luxury destination overseas may actually like it in Hawaii and come back. If UA has their business, that is a good customer.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was there ever a plan for PE to Hawaii?
Old Mar 26, 2021, 7:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
All ORD flights are now loaded and are 787-8...
cesco.g, onthesam and tcdtcd like this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah - UA can attract more customers with PE seats this summer with “monied” tourists who can’t get overseas.
I think it's a smart strategy. Out of PHX on AA, the F cabin is filling up way before the back. DL from SLC with lie flats, forget about even finding F.

Just another manifestation of how the pandemic is widening the gap between haves and have nots.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
This story paints a bleak picture for all islands
February is ancient history. Demand in Wailea is out of control right now. Andaz is charging over $1000/night for resort view the week I'm there.
SPN Lifer, nnn, Often1 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM
Was there ever a plan for PE to Hawaii?
AA offers it on a few routes for a couple of years now, which might have helped UA's decision to follow.
More so, as the pandemic resulted in surplus PY-configured equipment.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee

February is ancient history. Demand in Wailea is out of control right now. Andaz is charging over $1000/night for resort view the week I'm there.
There is a Spring Break bump - however, rooms rates in Wailea were out of control in January and February also.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
{O}nce I get vaccinated and the state opens to vaccinated travelers without a test, we will consider it - but a PY product doesn't really help if it's not running from the west coast and I am not going to backtrack to Denver just to pick it up, aside from the fact the fares are likely to be on par or even higher than 737/757 F from LAX.

At this point I am looking for the value prop of going United at all until they start flying from SNA.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 28, 2021 at 6:50 pm Reason: Let's stick to UA issues here; Use Hawaii forum for other issues
Old Mar 28, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: United, Delta
Is United selling PE on flights now? Looks like the PE seats are blocked. Are people flying in PE now at the fare they purchased months ago? That would be a nice upgrade.

I'm booked out of DEN to OGG on May 15 and they've updated the equipment to the Polaris 777-200. So glad we are in J!. This will be first time on at least the retro-fit 777. Been on the HD 777 and 757. Looking forward even without all of the perks.
LASUA1K likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Looks like PE on the HNL-ORD route is available through October 30th. Starting October 31, they're no longer available.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kmoberly
... Are people flying in PE now at the fare they purchased months ago? That would be a nice upgrade...
PE seats have been treated as Economy Plus and choosable by Premiers at no extra charge. Not sure what the prices have been for them w/o being Premier.
kmoberly likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
PE seats have been treated as Economy Plus and choosable by Premiers at no extra charge. Not sure what the prices have been for them w/o being Premier.
It doesn't look like the seats will be treated as Economy Plus which are available to Premier members at no additional cost.
Starting on May 6 and ending on October 30, flights between HNL and ORD will have four fare classes: Economy, Economy (fully refundable), Premium Economy and Business/First.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:42 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
FT for the win!

I've been booked ORD-KOA on 18 June for about a month. The standard 787-8 was loaded as the craft. I selected 4E my favorite seat for aisle access, mini cabin, and larger footwells. When I saw this thread I went to my reservation and UA had moved me to 4F, arguably the worst J seat on the plane. Angled into aisle, limited privacy and standard footwell. I was able to change to 1L and am happy I read this thread when I did. I'm still less than 50% confident UA actually runs this route in June, but at least I've got the best seat available with a Polaris seat. Thanks folks!
cesco.g and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:21 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
UA is already upgauging other routes too: KOA-DEN got bumped up from 752 to 763 which adds a lot of F capacity to the pair.

With the new first and premium economy entering the market, I hope it sticks. Pre-pandemic it was tough to buy a F ticket with cash many times.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:06 am

I have a flight booked ORD-OGG in November, which currently shows a HD 777. I wonder what would happen if I selected / purchased seats in 20, 21 or 22 and the plane got swapped to a 767 or 787. Would it automatically hold the row which would then be Premium, or would it kick me to somewhere in E+? Guess we will find out!
Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zeus2120
I have a flight booked ORD-OGG in November, which currently shows a HD 777. I wonder what would happen if I selected / purchased seats in 20, 21 or 22 and the plane got swapped to a 767 or 787. Would it automatically hold the row which would then be Premium, or would it kick me to somewhere in E+? Guess we will find out!
The previous practice has been, if the flight is selling PremiumPlus, you will be reseated in E+. If the flight has PP seats but is not selling PP, then you may have free access but the reseating outcome is random.
nnn and zeus2120 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.