Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy to Hawaii to launch in May 2021 - PlusPoints Now Required to Upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy to Hawaii to launch in May 2021 - PlusPoints Now Required to Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2021, 1:11 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CALMSP
yeah, I would say not before July 4th it seems. I think we'll end up seeing more 763's come out to start backfill.

are there any 787's in storage?
I just cant see UA putting the high J 767 to Hawaii from Chicago. Not enough coach seats for, as much as I would love all those J seats, they need more Y seats. I see 787 in the future for ORD-Hawaii
Old Mar 26, 2021, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cesco.g
They will have to reintroduce additional 763s out of storage. Given that, UA obviously (and likely realistically) does not expect significant additions to the summer TATL schedule, where those birds would be deployed.
UA picked up Hawaiian’s 767s.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 6:30 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I just cant see UA putting the high J 767 to Hawaii from Chicago. Not enough coach seats for, as much as I would love all those J seats, they need more Y seats. I see 787 in the future for ORD-Hawaii
Looks like 787-8s...
singal3, FlyinHawaiian and LASUA1K like this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by singal3
Interesting, I wonder what they will do equipment wise for the ORD-OGG and ORD-KOA routes, should also mean better Polaris seating...
I saw another article that indicates these routes are going to 787s which is a nice upgrade especially if refurbished with PE

My question is when do we expect these changes to load into the system? I see some of them for International routes but not the Hawaii routes yet.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I saw another article that indicates these routes are going to 787s which is a nice upgrade especially if refurbished with PE

My question is when do we expect these changes to load into the system? I see some of them for International routes but not the Hawaii routes yet.
Well, since they just announced publicly yesterday, probably at least a week.

David
Old Mar 26, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Interesting, if they replace the 777-200 (28/336) routes with 787-800 (28/21/194), they will have reduced capacity by 33%. It would kinda be the opposite of what I would expect for Hawaii right now.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA picked up Hawaiian’s 767s.
Are those all converted to include PY and ready to go (not in storage) ?
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting, if they replace the 777-200 (28/336) routes with 787-800 (28/21/194), they will have reduced capacity by 33%. It would kinda be the opposite of what I would expect for Hawaii right now.
Provides 21 more better-than-economy-seats to sell. With the entry of WN to Hawaii, there’s no shortage of economy seats to Hawaii - I wonder if UA is aiming for a higher percentage of non-“cheap seat” customers. UA can still route economy customers through West coast, where AK, WN, HA are pretty competitive and have been siphoning UA customers through the years - UA has capacity on those plane for economy connectors from east of there.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Provides 21 more better-than-economy-seats to sell. With the entry of WN to Hawaii, there’s no shortage of economy seats to Hawaii - I wonder if UA is aiming for a higher percentage of non-“cheap seat” customers. UA can still route economy customers through West coast, where AK, WN, HA are pretty competitive and have been siphoning UA customers through the years - UA has capacity on those plane for economy connectors from east of there.
I think they're just shifting capacity to where the demand is right now.

It's domestic leisure travel, and Hawaii is pretty much top of that list.
LASUA1K and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Hawaii had roughly 250,000 tourists in February - and while their is a Spring Break/Stimulus Check Bounce right now, it isn't anywhere near the 900,000+ monthly we had pre-Covid. My flight earlier this week cleared nearly every upgrade to the Silver level - and even after they cleared 30+ standbys had empty seats from SFO-HNL. No point in flooding capacity if the demand doesn't pan out and just sell not profitable cheap seats.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Hawaii had roughly 250,000 tourists in February - and while their is a Spring Break/Stimulus Check Bounce right now, it isn't anywhere near the 900,000+ monthly we had pre-Covid. My flight earlier this week cleared nearly every upgrade to the Silver level - and even after they cleared 30+ standbys had empty seats from SFO-HNL. No point in flooding capacity if the demand doesn't pan out and just sell not profitable cheap seats.
OGG and KOA traffic is almost back to historical norms from the mainland.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
OGG and KOA traffic is almost back to historical norms from the mainland.
This story paints a bleak picture for all islands

Maui Visitors Down 52% Through February to 29,060 Per Day | Maui Now
Old Mar 26, 2021, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
This story paints a bleak picture for all islands

Maui Visitors Down 52% Through February to 29,060 Per Day | Maui Now
Looking forward though, it appears UA is banking on a substantial rebound.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by DELee
Well, since they just announced publicly yesterday, probably at least a week.

David
Fair enough. I seem to recall on other threads that they generally load the weekend (or two) after an announcement. Also, given how soon these commence I would assume they want to upload to the system as soon as possible. I guess we'll see.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think they're just shifting capacity to where the demand is right now.

It's domestic leisure travel, and Hawaii is pretty much top of that list.
Yeah - UA can attract more customers with PE seats this summer with “monied” tourists who can’t get overseas. The problem down the road for increased capacity at the economy seat level is accommodation capacity of Hawaii. When tourist numbers reach pre-pandemic level, Hawaii really won’t have “cheap” accommodations for those who need a deal on airfare just to get to Hawaii. Hawaii is not building accommodations that keep up with flight capacity. I think UA is smart to look at the higher $ vacationer. Hawaii has even said flat out that they want a “higher quality” tourist - not necessarily someone who looks to save $25 on a bag flying WN
Often1, Kacee and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.