Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by chrisl137
This one only killed 3 out of 307, and might have killed fewer if seatbelt compliance during landing had been better and the fire trucks driven a little more carefully. Does it not count the same as a crash that killed 150?
It does not.

Human life is far more valuable than the worth of a plane or the profits of a company. @:-)
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
While 350 hours is still not enough experience, I do wish posters would notice this - it has been posted on several sites (even in this thread) over the last week or so, and reposted that First Officer actually had 350 hours flying experience. Again, NOT enough, but let's at least agree on facts that have been corrected (are correct - if not correct guess it's not really a fact) @:-)
Disagree. If the FO was trained properly and flying a well designed and constructed aircraft, there would have been no issue.

There are plenty of accidents which can be attributed to arrogant old pilots with tens of thousands of hours relying on their "experience" rather than crew resource management.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by BB2220

They didn’t “hide” anything. Boeing thought the difference wasn’t that big of a deal, I mean Airbus has had the same system since 1986. ...........
What Boeing did or didn't do will certainly be the subject of the Federal investigations & class action lawsuits that will be filled in US courts because of the large judgments they can obtain in the US against Boeing. Regardless of fault, the related publicity will have a continuing negative drag on the image of the 737 mAX. Back around 1979 when there was no continuous 24 hour cable news, the DC 10 survived but with a badly damaged reputation. The 737 mAX investigation & litigation circus will be covered by the news media hungry for sensation.

If I were United, I would not want to be one of the circus' dancing bears, and I would work in an order for A321neos & maybe some A220s.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
It does not.
It was hardly a fender bender at the jetbridge - it could easily have killed everyone aboard, and from a failure and corrective action point of view it really doesn't make any difference how many people died.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by chrisl137
This one only killed 3 out of 307, and might have killed fewer if seatbelt compliance during landing had been better and the fire trucks driven a little more carefully. Does it not count the same as a crash that killed 150?
Of the three killed, one was due to being struck by a door. A tragedy to be sure, but probably not preventable by any changes to design or practice beyond "don't crash the plane". One was dead when they hit the ground (one of the seatbelt cases). One was run over by a fire truck (the other seatbelt case), but IIRC there's a split decision as to whether they were dead when they hit the ground or killed in the collision with the truck between the relevant authorities. Moreover, I believe that I recall reading that the two were either totally or almost totally obscured by firefighting foam, and this was in the context of an emergency situation. There's a difference between saying ".... happens" in that context (where slowing down overall vehicle speed might complicate putting out the fire/averting an explosion) and in the context of "normal" operations. From what I recall there wasn't an assertion of gross negligence in that case, and the fact that the truck very plausibly "just" hit two dead bodies that weren't obviously visible suggests that the firefighters' practices weren't anymore at fault than the tangled "on the ground" facts of the situation. Moreover, poor seatbelt compliance, particularly if the customer obscures that they've undone their seatbelt, is a problem that can't be entirely averted. That's under the category of "you can't fix stupid".

As to the Boeing side of things...from what I can tell from the Wikipedia article, most of the issues come down to "the crew screwed up". Bad communication among the crew, etc. came into the mix, with errors on Boeing's part being contributing factors but not the sole factor (unlike in the current cases, where it's looking pretty cut-and-dried that Boeing screwed up a bunch of stuff and there are no other major factors in play).

Originally Posted by BB2220

They didn’t “hide” anything. Boeing thought the difference wasn’t that big of a deal, I mean Airbus has had the same system since 1986. There’s hundereds of other differences between the MAX and NG that Boeing probably doesn’t feel are pertinent to the operation of the plane, so they don’t make it part of their training. It doesn’t mean that Boeing hid some kind of known crash trigger in their plane and then decided not to tell anyone. That defies all logic. What happend with MCAS wasn’t expected. It wasn’t anticipated. I’m sure there are difference with the NEO that airbus feels isn’t necessary to make a pilot aware of . It’s an unfortunate growing pain of technology. Avaition history is littered it. But for some reason humans forget the past and love to laser focus on the present.

However, when the problems do manifest themselves, and people are trained to mitigate issues by said problem, and then don’t follow through on that training then there’s a issue.
Per the reports I've seen so far, Boeing submitted one set of specs with the FAA for certification and then changed them without telling anyone. I'm not sure of the exact contextual definition of "hide", but that comes pretty close to a reasonable definition of it for me.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 24, 2019 at 10:35 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
As to the Boeing side of things...from what I can tell from the Wikipedia article, most of the issues come down to "the crew screwed up". Bad communication among the crew, etc. came into the mix, with errors on Boeing's part being contributing factors but not the sole factor (unlike in the current cases, where it's looking pretty cut-and-dried that Boeing screwed up a bunch of stuff and there are no other major factors in play).
How anybody specifically died or what the root cause was wasn't the point of the example. If you've seen the crash video, it could easily have ended in far more deaths - maybe a little lower into the edge of the wall or if the fuselage had landed upside down after the tumble and it could have been far worse. From a "things I need to prevent in the future" point of view it's not only just as bad as the MAX failures, but arguably worse, so very much should count as an equally significant crash. In the case of the MAX it's likely an engineering failure compounded by crew inexperience, but the Asiana crash was attributed mostly to poor CRM and confusion because they were over reliant on automation. Once identified, an engineering issue is much easier to correct across the entire fleet and know that it's fixed. CRM is harder to quantify and harder to ensure is fixed for any/every crew - this is what makes it potentially worse, because it's very culturally and training dependent and will vary significantly from company to company and crew to crew.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
A lot of this reminds me of the "discussion" after the Apollo 1 fire. Borman's testimony seems particularly apt (recreated in "From the Earth to the Moon" at
). I very much doubt Boeing or Ethiopian or even Lion Air intentionally compromised safety. IANAP but Boeing likely didn't imagine flight crews at a major airline would ignore or not know of procedures that seem to have been "standard" for decades. In my own job as a "subject matter expert" in a particularly isolated field, I am still constantly amazed at how lessons learned 25-30 years ago are "magic" today or how practices I once accepted as the norm are now abnormal (to be fair, this is sometimes a good thing).

Nevertheless, the OP's question was more strategic, should UA change aircraft? I would still say no for a variety of reasons (not even counting my own admitted bias against Airbus).

If United's 737 pilots are still confident in the 737 fleet, I'm confident.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
... but Boeing likely didn't imagine flight crews at a major airline would ignore or not know of procedures that seem to have been "standard" for decades.
Have they really been "standard"? And why didn't these allegedly underqualified pilots crash their pre-MAX 737s all the time?

And most importantly: If what you are hinting at is true, why did US pilots complain about the MAX?

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/13/u...max/index.html
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Have they really been "standard"? And why didn't these allegedly underqualified pilots crash their pre-MAX 737s all the time?

And most importantly: If what you are hinting at is true, why did US pilots complain about the MAX?

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/13/u...max/index.html
If you read the posts from 737 pilots on this forum, yes, runaway stabilizer procedures have been pretty standard for decades. As mduell noted in this thread and another, ET has crashed 10% of their 737 fleet in the last decade.

As far as complaints go, why do people complain about everything? If you use Yelp, you'll find about 10-12% of reviews will complain about even the best restaurants or hotels. Anything with a Rotten Tomatoes score above 80% is probably doing well. BTW, from what I gathered reading that article, there were a total of 2 specific complaints of an actual incident (and it sounded from other posts like they may have been capt and FO noting problems with the same flight) while the other "complaints" were more general, about the inadequacy of training or the flight manual (and in fact, those cited by the article came from the same pilot).

Again, I am far less concerned about this than I was a week or two ago after reading the responses from professional 737 pilots.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Again, I am far less concerned about this than I was a week or two ago after reading the responses from professional 737 pilots.
I am glad you are not concerned, but even many professional pilots and cabin crew are.

And, as I said above, Boeing sells more planes to markets in Asia and Africa than to airlines in the United States, i.e. there is a new situation that has to be addressed.

United should at least consider to diversify their narrow-body fleet, to make sure that their network doesn't collapse if the feces hit the proverbial fan concerning the MAX.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why are AA and WN cancelling MAX flights while UA is able to reassign aircraft without cancelling? Does UA have lower utilization than those two? By MAX/non-MAX proportion, UA isn't dramatically different than either. Or are they much more flexible in their substitutions? I can imagine WN is a little constrained, but I wonder why AA needs to cancel.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this is a serious subject, the airworthiness of an aircraft series, due to two incidents with significant loss of life, it is appropriate to desire the discussion reflects the nature of the subject. This has been a highly informative discussion and many have commented on the quality of that discussion. While understanding there can be some strong opinions, it is still possible / desired to continue this discussion in a civil, collegial manner. Snarky, derisive comments do not fit the desired discussion environment, so some recent non-constructive comments have been removed.

As flight safety is important and this thread can help many understand these recent incidents and the path forward, let's conduct this discussion in an appropriately respectful manner.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by jsloan
And?

You're arguing both sides of the same coin here. You've insisted, repeatedly, that the 737 MAX is too complicated, but you also want every single detail explained to the pilot.
I'd argue it's Boeing that's going for both sides of the coin. Boeing insists that the MAX flies just like an NG - while quietly slipping in a new system, giving pilots virtually no training and zero simulator time, and no mention of it in flight manuals.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Ever anybody thought about that lack of proper pilot training might be a factor?
Why did only 2 3rd world airlines had a crash and all the other carriers not even near misses?
How do you know there haven't been any "near misses" by "other" carriers ? I don't know what criterion you're using to classify an airline as "3rd world"; but ET is a *A carrier with a good safety record. Prior to the MAX crash, the deadliest accident in the airlines' history was the result of hijacking.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by n198ua
How do you know there haven't been any "near misses" by "other" carriers ? I don't know what criterion you're using to classify an airline as "3rd world"; but ET is a *A carrier with a good safety record. Prior to the MAX crash, the deadliest accident in the airlines' history was the result of hijacking.
According to Politico, US pilots have complained about issues with the anti stall system. It would appear that in all those instances, they were able to regain control of the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.