Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United now actively trying to block party of two, window+aisle bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is United now actively trying to block party of two, window+aisle bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If this seat change is limited to when the normal seat sweep is run (when aircraft change is made), then having two PNRs risk being separated, even perhaps different rows.. Probably a low probability but still a risk.

Seems if you are doing the aisle/window combo, it would be prudent to recheck the seating the typical 2-3 days out for aircraft assignment AND to avoid highly desirable rows -- bulkhead and exit rows, as these are the rows that others might be looking for to pick off the desired seats if this change did occur..
What's interesting, and looking back at my 6:30AM email is that United did indeed switch out a 319 for a 320 - so I'm guessing that's when the "seat sweep" occurred. So I went to row 20 (I don't recline - even in EC+) and then, we got upgraded with PP - 2B and 2E due to it being full. But wait for it... the AC went back to a 319 (still 12 seat FC) and I got another email that they had changed my seats due to AC change and was now in 2E! (formerly 2F). So I moved my son to 2F and now we are magically together. I'm not a fan of getting on first these days but I suspect we will cause I bet tomorrow there might be some mass confusion in the front cabin
Guate87 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 7:42 am

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Today United cancelled three of our return flights to IAH because one inch of snow will shut Houston down.

I picked 21C and 21D on our fourth (and hopefully not cancelled) flight so that neither of us is put in a middle seat. We prefer aisle/window (A/C or D/F) but United seems to leave two aisles alone.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I am glad I saw this thread. I often fly with my wife, and we've always booked window + aisle and usually in the exit row - the ability to do this is one of the few real advantages any longer of MM status (i.e., gold). Of course when someone takes the middle seat we'll offer them the window. I get up frequently so aisle is important to me. I'd be *real* annoyed to have them magically move us into window + aisle. But with covid, having an empty middle as a likely outcome sure makes flying less threatening.

So it seems the way to go is simply book on two PNRs. We have different last names so unless they dig deep this seat magic would not happen. Source of trouble in IRROPs for sure, but that's a small enough fraction of my flights that I think the risk is worth it.

It is annoying no end that this is simply done in stealth mode, however. I should be a stated policy. I know that "seat assignments are not guaranteed" but it's crap customer service.
It's not crap customer service, because they are trying to protect the customer who ends up in a middle seat because folks are locking up aisles and windows and then giving away the airline's property- a preferential seat- on the plane.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 14, 2021 at 2:19 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s); aviod overly personal responses / attacks
Old Feb 14, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by dilanesp
It's not crap customer service, because they are trying to protect the customer who ends up in a middle seat because folks are locking up aisles and windows and then giving away the airline's property- a preferential seat- on the plane.
I'm not sure I understand this response. If I get window/aisle, and United sells the middle seat, that's fine, one of us will move and the middle person ends up with a better seat. If that middle goes empty (and United will certainly sell it if they can; I have not heard that they are blocking middles these days), why shouldn't I be one of the lucky ones to benefit? UA already allows me to book highly desirable seats (exit rows at booking time) and in part as a result I do not buy the cheapest fares - win/win it seems to me.

As for "giving away" a seat, I don't make the decision who gets it. If its filled, it's either someone with status who books ahead, or a last minute E- seating to the lucky person who gets put into a more desirable seat than they paid for.

As for the "customer service" I am absolutely fine with any stated rules - I can use my knowledge of the rules to decide which carrier to fly. Doing it in stealth mode takes away a benefit UA has given me (advance seat booking in exit rows, and E+ seating in general) in recognition of the million + BIS revenue miles I took on them. Small bits of preferential treatment - and they are getting fewer and fewer - keep me flying on UA even though I'd save money on many trips (and it is my money these days) on other carriers.
Xyzzy, ExplorerWannabe and Guate87 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
But Delta doesn't sell the middle seat - so .....

and... if I can magically get a seat between me and my travel partner, that's great. If I can't (as in someone grabs the middle) as noted above, we just move over.

Short story - I get why United does it, but they shouldn't - at least when the airline they look up to doesn't even sell that seat!
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I'm not sure I understand this response. If I get window/aisle, and United sells the middle seat, that's fine, one of us will move and the middle person ends up with a better seat. If that middle goes empty (and United will certainly sell it if they can; I have not heard that they are blocking middles these days), why shouldn't I be one of the lucky ones to benefit? UA already allows me to book highly desirable seats (exit rows at booking time) and in part as a result I do not buy the cheapest fares - win/win it seems to me.

As for "giving away" a seat, I don't make the decision who gets it. If its filled, it's either someone with status who books ahead, or a last minute E- seating to the lucky person who gets put into a more desirable seat than they paid for.

As for the "customer service" I am absolutely fine with any stated rules - I can use my knowledge of the rules to decide which carrier to fly. Doing it in stealth mode takes away a benefit UA has given me (advance seat booking in exit rows, and E+ seating in general) in recognition of the million + BIS revenue miles I took on them. Small bits of preferential treatment - and they are getting fewer and fewer - keep me flying on UA even though I'd save money on many trips (and it is my money these days) on other carriers.
You have to understand that in the hierarchy of customers, those who are depriving the airline of something it might be able to sell, or forcing a stranger into a middle seat, might not be viewed as "good customers".

​​​​​The airline is may be quite aware that some folks who regularly do this aren't going to be happy and may threaten to fly another airline. That may even be part of United's motivation. They may see these people as causing a problem they would like to solve.

​​
Statman and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Has it ever been confirmed that the movement of these "split" seat assignments to adjacent seats is intentional?
SPN Lifer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Has it ever been confirmed that the movement of these "split" seat assignments to adjacent seats is intentional?
It hasn't. But there are enough examples of it that it sure looks non-accidental. And it's a practice that an airline would want to stop, especially during a pandemic when more passengers might try it rather than purchasing an EXTRASEAT. So I think that's the logical explanation.

​​​​
Guate87 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:26 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

It hasn't. But there are enough examples of it that it sure looks non-accidental. And it's a practice that an airline would want to stop, especially during a pandemic when more passengers might try it rather than purchasing an EXTRASEAT. So I think that's the logical explanation.

​​​​
I don't think the "pandemic" has anything to do with this.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, Boraxo and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
You have to understand that in the hierarchy of customers, those who are depriving the airline of something it might be able to sell, or forcing a stranger into a middle seat, might not be viewed as "good customers".

​​
again, this makes no sense. I don't make the rules, UA does. Under its own rules, UA allows me to select seats when I book my trip, and to change them after I purchase my ticket. If I am elite then UA does not charge me a seat rez fee. So under the existing rules I am free to book all aisles for my entire family. Or all windows. Or all middles. Or whatever combination I want. There is nothing in the contract or MP rules that restricts my choices.

If UA does not want people to book aisle and window seats (leaving open middles) it is free to restrict that option through technology, or by charging additional fees, etc. But it needs to provide honest and transparent disclosure of this "rule" to its customers so that we can make informed decisions.
If this is the path that UA chooses, I may very well choose to book another airlines even it costs me more money, because seat location is a very important factor in my purchasing decision.

The sneaky underhanded seat changes, without any notice to the customer, are not honest or transparent, nor are they good business practice because they offend the airlines best customers. if - as you suggest - i'm not a "good customer" because I buy tickets on UA (and not WN) in part based on the promise that I can reserve E+ seats - then maybe UA should change its rules. I am not "forcing" a stranger into a middle seat. Pre-COVID I would often SDC my flights and take a middle seat if it was the only one remaining. It never in a million years occurred to me that some unknown fellow passenger "forced me into a middle seat". That is just the seat that when I purchased my ticket on that flight.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
If I had booked a Window/Aisle combination on a single PNR and one of us got moved to a middle, I'd be a little pissed. But we don't book that way ourselves. We generally go exit row aisle/aisle across or one ahead of the other, depending on the plane configuration. That way we can still converse a bit on the flight and never have to worry about this issue. If we went aisle/window and someone did end up in the middle, we would have to talk across them.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post # 53)
Do opposing aisle seats on a single Passenger Name Record (PNR) seem safe these days in coach?
Originally Posted by raehl311 (Post # 54)
No one has reported having aisle-aisle seat assignments changed.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post # 63)
Is the aisle-aisle combination safer, in recent experience?
Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post # 85)
Interesting! I have never heard this before.
Normally, I choose two aisle seats (C and D on B737). Therefore, UA algorithm won’t bother me.
Originally Posted by Guate87 (Post # 93)
This has happened to my wife and me for years.

If we both have aisle, this doesn't happen as often but we are supposed to have the freedom to choose our own seats, whether window or aisle.
Originally Posted by Guate87 (Post # 107)
I picked 21C and 21D on our fourth (and hopefully not cancelled) flight so that neither of us is put in a middle seat. We prefer aisle/window (A/C or D/F) but United seems to leave two aisles alone.
Originally Posted by drowelf (Post # 116)
If I had booked a Window/Aisle combination on a single PNR and one of us got moved to a middle, I'd be a little pissed. But we don't book that way ourselves. We generally go exit row aisle/aisle across or one ahead of the other, depending on the plane configuration. That way we can still converse a bit on the flight and never have to worry about this issue. If we went aisle/window and someone did end up in the middle, we would have to talk across them.
I wonder if the aisle-aisle combination offers some degree of reassignment "immunity", or if such arrangements are less frequently modified simply because they are less frequently selected. I suspect the latter.

In the absence of any known United Air Lines policy discouraging aisle-window and aisle-aisle seat selection by MileagePlus Premier members, it would seem most likely the reassignments are merely an incidental consequence of equipment changes and information technology (IT) algorithms designed to keep travel companions together.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO a lot depends on how the traveling companion(s) is entitled to the Y+/exit/preferred seat. If a fee is paid for the seat, then people should be able to sit where they please. Similarly, if everyone is an elite and is entitled to the special seat as a published elite benefit for the individual's status tier, no problem: pick seats where you please. However, if one person has status and is bringing others into the special seats for free, then the people should be willing to sit together. In fact, this should be written into policy and enforced by the computer. My bottom line is that 7A & 7C are fine if both have paid for the seats (although social distancing would suggest that it would be better if they were seated together rather than having a random stranger sitting in the middle seat). Similarly, if both 7A and 7C hold their own 1K status, for instance, again no problem (with the same COVID-19 comment). However, if one person holds elite status and the companion has no status, then it's 7A/7B or 7B/7C, not 7A/7C or 7C/7D, etc.

The purpose of UA's special seating for companions feature is to please the elite by enabling him/her to sit together with friends and family. Chances are that when the nonstatus companion takes one of the best seats, it's at the expense of another elite who later purchases a more expensive ticket on the same flight.
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 1:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
...However, if one person has status and is bringing others into the special seats for free, then the people should be willing to sit together. In fact, this should be written into policy and enforced by the computer.....
This seemed to be a pmUA policy many years ago, especially if guesting an off PNR companion into E+. The wording at that time seemed to suggest an adjacent seat. That wording was dropped long ago.
Boraxo and Guate87 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
It would seem reassigning traveling companions to adjacent seats in the event of a seat mixup (which occurs all the time for untold number of reasons dating back to pre-pandemic) is the literal definition of "good faith". It wasn't so long ago I remember the "I was traveling with my wife and after the aircraft swap we are in different aisles" posts.
This may not be analogous to the fact pattern being discussed.
I don't disagree, but the data points suggest that the reseating does not always correspond to an equipment swap. And the best course would be to put passengers back in the same type of seat they chose initially, if similar seats are available. Unfortunately, that is rarely the case, so people with carefully laid plans often get shoved into undesirable seats due to last minute equipment swaps. But that's not the fact pattern here.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The purpose of UA's special seating for companions feature is to please the elite by enabling him/her to sit together with friends and family. Chances are that when the nonstatus companion takes one of the best seats, it's at the expense of another elite who later purchases a more expensive ticket on the same flight.
Why would you assume the later passenger is an elite and/or flying on an expensive ticket? These days there are very few business customers, and some of the <14 day fares are not so high. Also fare is irrelevant to SDC - a Silver member could be flying on a cheapo fare and decide to take the earlier flight. Should he bump a 1k companion from an aisle or window seat?

This seems more like a typical UA IT mishap, that is not at the top of the priority list to fix.
Guate87 likes this.

Last edited by Boraxo; Feb 15, 2021 at 1:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.