Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United now actively trying to block party of two, window+aisle bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is United now actively trying to block party of two, window+aisle bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2021, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by ovacikar
I say this is done in an effort to infection risk, when people in same household are seated together.

If same household member on seat a and c are both infected, the passenger D across the isle may get infected being close to C, therefore seating people together as much as possible benefits social distancing.
FWIW, I've booked A and C with my wife and then sat in A and B -- leaving C empty -- to keep as far away from thers as possible.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I say this is done in an effort to infection risk, when people in same household are seated together.

If same household member on seat a and c are both infected, the passenger D across the isle may get infected being close to C, therefore seating people together as much as possible benefits social distancing.
I'm not sure I follow - in your scenario, if the couple sat in B/C, then the guy/gal in D is still close!
WORSE - the new person in A - is now exposed (and much closer) to the person in B!
Xyzzy and Guate87 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
This a pre-Covid United practice that continues but should be stopped.

My wife and I are flying to MCO today. She is Gold, I am 1K and she is listed as my companion.

Upon checkin, I chose 21F for her. I am in 21D. 21E was empty.

Last night the United system moved her to 21E, leaving 21F open.

I called the 1K Reservations, MileagePlus Service Desk and Web Support and asked that they forward my displeasure up the food chain.

This has happened to my wife and me for years.

If we both have aisle, this doesn't happen as often but we are supposed to have the freedom to choose our own seats, whether window or aisle.

United should not force elites into middle seats unless zero window or aisle seats are available.

21C is available, so another elite can choose that seat, even if they are Silver.
bocastephen, Xyzzy and lupine like this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Originally Posted by doug_999
I'm not sure I follow - in your scenario, if the couple sat in B/C, then the guy/gal in D is still close!
WORSE - the new person in A - is now exposed (and much closer) to the person in B!
İf the flight is not full, seating 2 couples AB. .EF provides better distancing compared to A.C D.F

​​​​
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by ovacikar; Feb 12, 2021 at 2:27 pm
Old Feb 12, 2021, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Guate87

United should not force elites into middle seats unless zero window or aisle seats are available.

21C is available, so another elite can choose that seat, even if they are Silver.
I recall a time long long ag when UA would block middle seats next to 1K members.
PHXonUA and Guate87 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 2:27 pm

İf the flight is not full, seating 4 people as AB. .EF provides better distancing compared to A.C D.F

​​​​
I can guarantee that United doesn't care about that at all. They're doing it so they can jam another stranger into C and D (or rather to make the flight look attractive to book because there are not just middle seats available).
Xyzzy, Guate87 and VRFast like this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 6:03 pm

İf the flight is not full, seating 2 couples AB. .EF provides better distancing compared to A.C D.F

​​​​
I don't think anyone is arguing with that.

But if I had booked B/C for my son and I, do you think they would move us to A/B? They would not. They would put or allow someone to go into A. Your argument that a passenger in D and C is a risk does not hold water compared to a full row.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 9:38 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I recall a time long long ag when UA would block middle seats next to 1K members.
The first time I hit ordinary Premier, a long time ago, UA blocked them for ordinary Premiers.

Nonetheless, I think if they are cracking down, that is the correct decision, for reasons I state upthread.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 6:18 am

They did it again

At 6am, I’m in 7A/7C. At 7am, 7A/7B. Got an email too. And during that time, someone took 7C. Here is the seat map.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 6:21 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by doug_999
At 6am, I’m in 7A/7C. At 7am, 7A/7B. Got an email too. And during that time, someone took 7C. Here is the seat map.
please try 11A and 11C. I do not know whether or not the non-bulkhead seats make any difference.
Good luck.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
What's the situation with row 21? (Exit row)
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
What about it? The seat borders included in the screenshot indicate 21BCDF occupied (AE open).
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: UA MM
I am glad I saw this thread. I often fly with my wife, and we've always booked window + aisle and usually in the exit row - the ability to do this is one of the few real advantages any longer of MM status (i.e., gold). Of course when someone takes the middle seat we'll offer them the window. I get up frequently so aisle is important to me. I'd be *real* annoyed to have them magically move us into window + aisle. But with covid, having an empty middle as a likely outcome sure makes flying less threatening.

So it seems the way to go is simply book on two PNRs. We have different last names so unless they dig deep this seat magic would not happen. Source of trouble in IRROPs for sure, but that's a small enough fraction of my flights that I think the risk is worth it.

It is annoying no end that this is simply done in stealth mode, however. I should be a stated policy. I know that "seat assignments are not guaranteed" but it's crap customer service.
lupine and Guate87 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by Repooc17
If so, I would try row 20 A/C or 20 D/F, since that is a less attractive row, if you can stand not being able to recline the seat. If you were a betting person....
Old Feb 13, 2021, 11:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
... So it seems the way to go is simply book on two PNRs. .....
If this seat change is limited to when the normal seat sweep is run (when aircraft change is made), then having two PNRs risk being separated, even perhaps different rows.. Probably a low probability but still a risk.

Seems if you are doing the aisle/window combo, it would be prudent to recheck the seating the typical 2-3 days out for aircraft assignment AND to avoid highly desirable rows -- bulkhead and exit rows, as these are the rows that others might be looking for to pick off the desired seats if this change did occur..
MojaveFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.