Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United now actively trying to block party of two, window+aisle bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is United now actively trying to block party of two, window+aisle bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
When one buys a ticket, one is ultimately just buying transport on a specific flight and in a specific set of seats (Polaris, Business, F, E+, E-). While UA allows the ticket buyer to select a seat in one of those seat sets, it is a preference, not a specific seat purchase. The preferred seat often holds. It seems like buying two separate tickets would be the way to go if one really wants a higher chance of keeping the desired window/aisle, assuming such a policy exists.

Originally Posted by raehl311
...There is no rule that bans them from aisle or window seats because their ticket is on a multi-ticket PNR.
Correct, but since the ticket buyer is actually not buying specific seats (just transport in a certain type of seat), UA can move them around at will on rare occasions.

I'm not defending UA's practice of moving people - just pointing out the way it is...
SPN Lifer and dilanesp like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 1, 2021 at 11:28 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Correct, but since the ticket buyer is actually not buying specific seats (just transport in a certain type of seat), UA can move them around at will on rare occasions.
For sure, and while I'd be annoyed, I'd have no real objection (unless I'd paid extra for an aisle/window but not an issue as an elite.)

My objection is those who seem bothered about people selecting aisle/window in the first place, which is totally the prerogative of whoever chooses their seats first.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Has the subject issue of this thread occurred to you if you paid a seat fee?
Sadly it has. My original gripe can be found in post #40 back in October. Not sure how to fancy quote it but -- "Really disappointed with United. I paid $93 for exit row seats from Den - OGG (and a separate exit row fee for my leg getting to DEN) in seats 20 D F. I see today I was moved to 20 A B. 40 + actual open available seats on the plane. Why they moved me from an exit row aisle to an exit row middle with plenty of open seats on the plane is something I would love to know. I paid to choose my seat and they moved me -- am I entitled to a refund? The "friendly" skies strike again."

For data point purposes, no plane change occurred. I believe it was two days before the flight that my seat was changed. But it was a paid E+ exit row seat with 40+ seats open, many in E+. Just another data point as there were plenty of other seats available for sale for United to pull in upgraded seat revenue. I can't recall how much less the middle seat cost vs. the aisle, but my argument to United would be either make every E+ seat the same dollar amount -- or honor the fact that a more expensive seat should remain with the person who paid for it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zeus2120
....I paid to choose my seat and they moved me -- am I entitled to a refund?...
No, you paid to sit in the E+ section (not a specific seat) and you indicated a preference of which one - that's the way UA views it. Again, United sells you a ticket for transport, not a specific seat - you bought transport. CoC clearly states that individual seats are not guaranteed. If there was a price differential for that window seat over the one you ultimately got, you'd certainly be due a refund of the balance.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 1, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Old Mar 1, 2021, 6:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... For data point purposes, no plane change occurred. I believe it was two days before the flight that my seat was changed. ....
Two days prior to travel is the common time for the specific aircraft to be assigned, prior to that a placeholder is used.
This sounds more like the long-existing Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated] vs the speculation of this thread.

If the fee for the new seats are lower, then yes you are due a refund.
Did you call or write in after the social media channel reply was unsatisfactory?
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 9:04 pm

No, you paid to sit in the E+ section (not a specific seat) and you indicated a preference of which one - that's the way UA views it. Again, United sells you a ticket for transport, not a specific seat - you bought transport. CoC clearly states that individual seats are not guaranteed. If there was a price differential for that window seat over the one you ultimately got, you'd certainly be due a refund of the balance.
I suppose we won't agree on this one. I didn't pay to sit in E+ section. I paid to sit in the seats I paid for. If you're paying for a general E+ seat, why not have all E+ seats for sale at the same price? Clearly United values certain seats differently. You're right -- United sold me a ticket. Then sold me two specific seats. Then it appears that for some reason or another, my seat was unnecessarily changed. Obviously it's affected numerous people in this thread alone and it's an unnecessary annoyance, especially with so many light loads right now.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Two days prior to travel is the common time for the specific aircraft to be assigned, prior to that a placeholder is used.
This sounds more like the long-existing Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated] vs the speculation of this thread.

If the fee for the new seats are lower, then yes you are due a refund.
Did you call or write in after the social media channel reply was unsatisfactory?
It ended up working itself out at the gate. The new holder of 20C was upgraded to a lie flat. Ended up having the row and was thankful for it on the 7.5 hour flight. In the moment, the gripe is usually worse than the outcome ends up being. One of those things where you just go "really, with so many open seats why did that just happen"? All in all, just throwing my personal experience in for the benefit of the thread. I can 100% see United's point of view if they actually are trying to block window & aisle bookings. But on the flip side, I don't think the seats should carry a different value when purchasing them if that's their goal. Maybe the move is booking the cheaper E+ middle seat and hoping no one wants to take the seats next to you
lupine likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suppose we won't agree on this one. I didn't pay to sit in E+ section. I paid to sit in the seats I paid for. If you're paying for a general E+ seat, why not have all E+ seats for sale at the same price? Clearly United values certain seats differently. You're right -- United sold me a ticket. Then sold me two specific seats.
Since it doesn't look like you read the CoC, here it is (relative to seats). There is no asterisk that says "...unless passenger paid a fee":

" Seat assignments, regardless of class of service, are not guaranteed and are subject to change without notice. UA reserves the right to reseat a Passenger for any reason..."

If UA moves you (as they have every right to do so as you yourself agreed to when you purchased the ticket and paid for the seats), there would be a refund for a lesser seat. Lack of knowledge on your part of the CoC does not provide an out. Since seat movement at UA's will is stipulated in the Contract you agreed to, a seat move in itself does not void the transport contract.

Luckily, it worked out for you this time, but you actually might want to read the CoC for future use. You do not buy seats, you indicate to UA a preference. If you actually "bought" a specific seat, there would be a contract between you and UA relative to that specific seat and UA would not be able to move you without quite a bit more hassle on their part. That is exactly why they do not guarantee chosen seats for anyone and that is why the language is in the CoC. There is no such contract for a seat. It may seem that way to you, but sometimes things aren't what they seem.
SPN Lifer and dilanesp like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 1, 2021 at 9:53 pm
Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:29 pm

Since it doesn't look like you read the CoC, here it is (relative to seats). There is no asterisk that says "...unless passenger paid a fee":

" Seat assignments, regardless of class of service, are not guaranteed and are subject to change without notice. UA reserves the right to reseat a Passenger for any reason..."

If UA moves you (as they have every right to do so as you yourself agreed to when you purchased the ticket and paid for the seats), there would be a refund for a lesser seat. Lack of knowledge on your part of the CoC does not provide an out. Since seat movement at UA's will is stipulated in the Contract you agreed to, a seat move in itself does not void the transport contract.

Luckily, it worked out for you this time, but you actually might want to read the CoC for future use. You do not buy seats, you indicate to UA a preference. If you actually "bought" a specific seat, there would be a contract between you and UA relative to that specific seat and UA would not be able to move you without quite a bit more hassle on their part. That is exactly why they do not guarantee chosen seats for anyone and that is why the language is in the CoC. There is no such contract for a seat. It may seem that way to you, but sometimes things aren't what they seem.
Might as well close this 12 page thread because the legal jargon in the CoC explains it all and leaves no room for further discussion.

By going off your interpretation of the CoC, maybe you will end up helping all of us flyers. Using your logic and explanation above about the CoC, no one should pay for E+. If the seat ends up being open, we should just sit down and take it. You aren't buying a seat or a specific section within a cabin, right? So if exit row shows open on the seat map, what's the recourse of just sitting down and refusing to pay? Can I pull out a copy of the CoC and nicely explain to the flight attendant that there is no such contract for a seat and because it's not taken, it's my preference to sit there?

Last edited by zeus2120; Mar 2, 2021 at 4:02 pm
Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: united
Might as well close this 12 page thread because the legal jargon in the CoC explains it all and leaves no room for further discussion.

By going off your interpretation of the CoC, maybe you will end up helping all of us flyers. Using your logic and explanation above about the CoC, no one should pay for E+. If the seat ends up being open, we should just sit down and take it. You aren't buying a seat or a specific section within a cabin, right? So if exit row shows open on the seat map, what's the recourse of just sitting down and refusing to pay? Can I pull out a copy of the CoC and nicely explain to the flight attendant that there is no such contract for a seat and because it's not taken, it's my preference to sit there?
That's silly. Don't compare stuff people do specifically pay for ( E+) to something produced by passengers trying to avoid paying the applicable fee (this, as a workaround for EXTRASEAT). They are literally the polar opposite of each other.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I believe you are confused. You do purchase a specific part of the cabin if you aren't already entitled to that section for free - for instance E+ or Exit Rows. What you aren't guaranteed is the specific seat - just a seat in that part of the cabin.

With that said, rarely does one get moved from an assigned seat - and normally only happens when an Air Marshall takes it or an equipment change - or, possibly - if United puts companions back together when leaving an empty middle - which is unknown if that is really happening or part of equipment changes.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I believe you are confused. You do purchase a specific part of the cabin if you aren't already entitled to that section for free - for instance E+ or Exit Rows. What you aren't guaranteed is the specific seat - just a seat in that part of the cabin.

With that said, rarely does one get moved from an assigned seat - and normally only happens when an Air Marshall takes it or an equipment change - or, possibly - if United puts companions back together when leaving an empty middle - which is unknown if that is really happening or part of equipment changes.
Not confused and I do understand. General point is that most people do not read the CoC and IAH-OIL-TRASH is looking to get technical -- so I'm interested to see where it states in the CoC that you must pay to notate your "preference" for a seat in the economy cabin that happens to have a few extra inches of leg room (E+). Read Rule 26 C in the CoC. United markets 2 classes of service (maybe three depending on how Premium Plus is handled). If paying for an E+ seat is simply noting a preference and not an actual contract to reserve a certain seat, then I truly wonder if you can poach an empty E+ seat free of charge and be in compliance with the CoC. CoC talks about aircraft compartments. E+ isn't a separate compartment of the cabin. So maybe someone that is a United CoC expert can weigh in. I guess what I'm saying is that in a two cabin aircraft, United's CoC doesn't differentiate between E+ and E. It's all part of a single economy compartment with some seats having extra leg room. It's not a separate class of service.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 8:01 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Not confused and I do understand. General point is that most people do not read the CoC and IAH-OIL-TRASH is looking to get technical -- so I'm interested to see where it states in the CoC that you must pay to notate your "preference" for a seat in the economy cabin that happens to have a few extra inches of leg room (E+). Read Rule 26 C in the CoC. United markets 2 classes of service (maybe three depending on how Premium Plus is handled). If paying for an E+ seat is simply noting a preference and not an actual contract to reserve a certain seat, then I truly wonder if you can poach an empty E+ seat free of charge and be in compliance with the CoC. CoC talks about aircraft compartments. E+ isn't a separate compartment of the cabin. So maybe someone that is a United CoC expert can weigh in. I guess what I'm saying is that in a two cabin aircraft, United's CoC doesn't differentiate between E+ and E. It's all part of a single economy compartment with some seats having extra leg room. It's not a separate class of service.
Try doing that (moving from E- to E+ without paying or permission and explaining the CoC to the FAs). Let us know what happens.
zeus2120 and dilanesp like this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Try doing that (moving from E- to E+ without paying or permission and explaining the CoC to the FAs). Let us know what happens.
Believe me that's not on my agenda haha Just trying to point out that if we are going to cite CoC lingo for one thing, we can nitpick it even more.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: united
Whether it is the CoC or merely a crewmember instruction (which would be backed up by the force of federal law), sitting in your assigned seat is definitely required.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
so I'm interested to see where it states in the CoC that you must pay to notate your "preference" for a seat in the economy cabin that happens to have a few extra inches of leg room (E+).
Rule 4 Section D
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.