Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United now actively trying to block party of two, window+aisle bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is United now actively trying to block party of two, window+aisle bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2021, 1:05 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Help each other with overhead bag stowage and removal. Depart aircraft together to facilitate connection for next flight.
Exactly! there are so many reasons. If we are coming back from LAX, my partner and I share our 101 Noodle Express beef rolls we got before coming to the airport. Before Covid and before I became a 1K (and he was) he would get his free wine and then hand it to me since he didn't drink. We would also help each other with luggage, and sometimes trade devices to see movies we had downloaded. These are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head.
When in coach, I prefer sitting at the window and he prefers the aisle. We will continue to book window/aisle seat combinations and as I do now, will watch the seat map like a hawk and be ready to swoop in and undo the inevitable seat change when it occurs. And yes on the rare occasions that the middle seat becomes occupied, we always offer the person the window seat and I move to the middle.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Exactly! there are so many reasons. If we are coming back from LAX, my partner and I share our 101 Noodle Express beef rolls we got before coming to the airport. Before Covid and before I became a 1K (and he was) he would get his free wine and then hand it to me since he didn't drink. We would also help each other with luggage, and sometimes trade devices to see movies we had downloaded. These are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head.
When in coach, I prefer sitting at the window and he prefers the aisle. We will continue to book window/aisle seat combinations and as I do now, will watch the seat map like a hawk and be ready to swoop in and undo the inevitable seat change when it occurs. And yes on the rare occasions that the middle seat becomes occupied, we always offer the person the window seat and I move to the middle.
And I hope United is indeed implementing a policy to prohibit you from doing this. The pandemic is a perfect time to change rules like this and encourage you to purchase an EXTRASEAT.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dilanesp
And I hope United is indeed implementing a policy to prohibit you from doing this. The pandemic is a perfect time to change rules like this and encourage you to purchase an EXTRASEAT.
...and then they wke up... Almost nobody is going to buy an EXTRASEAT for this purpse.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Not a ghost of a chance! My system of constantly checking the seat map works quite well. On a recent flight, the middle seat between us in row 21 ended up being the ONLY empty seat on the plane!!!!
Old Mar 18, 2021, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
...and then they wke up... Almost nobody is going to buy an EXTRASEAT for this purpse.
I know. But that's telling about what is really going on.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
I know. But that's telling about what is really going on.
Indeed - it's not a real problem and it certainly doesn't need slving.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a positive note, I had middle seats in 3x3 configuration kept open on several almost full flights, concluding that the system (and maybe agents) might consider GS & 1K status when assigning remaining middle seats!
SPN Lifer and rittenhousesq like this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
On a positive note, I had middle seats in 3x3 configuration kept open on several almost full flights, concluding that the system (and maybe agents) might consider GS & 1K status when assigning remaining middle seats!
If so, that's new behaviour, and it is long verdue as well.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 4:57 pm

Indeed - it's not a real problem and it certainly doesn't need slving.
It's a real problem, or rather, it's a subset of a significant headache in the airline industry- which is that a lot of people try to do various things to get stuff for free that they should have to pay for.

​​​​
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If so, that's new behaviour, and it is long verdue as well.
That would be good news, since I've often experienced the opposite - with empty middles in the back, the GAs will stick BE and standby customers in premium middles specifically beside 1K and GS members. Ideally the system would block assignment of the middles beside 1K/GS automatically until the seat is absolutely needed and every other seat is filled.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, Boraxo and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
That would be good news, since I've often experienced the opposite - with empty middles in the back, the GAs will stick BE and standby customers in premium middles specifically beside 1K and GS members. Ideally the system would block assignment of the middles beside 1K/GS automatically until the seat is absolutely needed and every other seat is filled.
Indeed - same here. VERY nnoying,, particularly when there are plenty of middles open in E- and a BG5 (BE passenger) get seated in the middle seat next to me.
bocastephen and Boraxo like this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 7:06 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Boraxo
You have zero evidence to support this assertion, which dozens on this thread have disputed. In fact my wife and I take normally select aisles across from each other. That is probably worse for UA sales as the aisles tend to be the highest demand product as evidenced by pricing and the way seat charts tend to fill as the flight date approaches.

But even assuming your argument is valid, why doesn't UA move my wife from the aisle to a middle seat next to me? The answer, of course, is that this is IT programming that is causing the issue, and not a conscious decision to enhance revenue.

Personally I rarely select a flight based on the seating, the timing, price and airline are the most critical factors. If I have a choice of 3 flights from Houston I might sometimes pick one that has an E+ aisle if another doesn't. But in the end UA is not losing any revenue - I'm not going to defect to Spirit or take a connection on WN because I am stuck in a middle seat on UA. More likely I will wait until another passenger cancels or upgrades, and then snag that seat.

This whole line of reasoning is unsubstantiated by facts and just ludicrous.
My wife and I fly in Y as infrequently as we possibly can. When we do, we usually take aisle seats in the same row. Believe it or not, there is a thread on this forum about how people should not do that. We've been happily married for almost 40 years. And not sitting next to each other for 1.5 to 3 hours is no big deal. She is typically playing her current favorite game on her phone of tablet and I am usually snoozing.

The normative thinking on how people flying on the same itinerary should have their seats assigned extends to some of the higher end foreign carriers where I have almost had to argue with phone based agents to get two window seat in 1-2-1 business class cabins. The agent simply could not understand why a husband and wife would not want one of the middle seat pairs.

{A} seating preference is just that, a personal preference. And that different people have different preferences.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 19, 2021 at 10:49 am Reason: Commenting on other posters is unneeded
Old Mar 26, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Did y’all get plane swap messages saying your seats changed? We’re on the exact same 757-200 but got a swap email and moved to middle aisle.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by the lost
... got a swap email and moved to middle aisle.
Can you post the contents of the message? Removing any personal information.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
We got moved with no notice a week or two before travel but quickly fixed it. Did not have any problems after. Middle seat was filled on full flight. In fact they had 20 on standby list. So I don’t think UA lost any revenue LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.