Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United now actively trying to block party of two, window+aisle bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is United now actively trying to block party of two, window+aisle bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I check my seat assignments periodically to make sure they have not been changed involuntarily, and I have found our aisle and window occasionally have been changed to aisle and middle. But once I change back, then the assignments stayed.
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I have a four-segment one-way award trip via NRT with my wife in ten days that I booked a month ago as a Premier Silver.

We have aisle-aisle preferred economy seats and so far none of them have moved. I check the Android app every few days (noting the so-far plentiful availability of E+).
Old Apr 23, 2021, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Oops, I did it again (thank you Brittney!)

Just checked September flight, sure enough UA moved me from an aisle to a middle with my son staying on the window. All fixed now.

It's really unfortunate that I have to watch all my rez like a hawk. Thankfully there are not too many yet...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CIT85
I check my seat assignments periodically to make sure they have not been changed involuntarily, and I have found our aisle and window occasionally have been changed to aisle and middle. But once I change back, then the assignments stayed.
This is a must these days. My wife's seat assignment got changed last night from window to middle next to my aisle for tomorrow's 2 flights. I changed them back to window before checking in. This afternoon, I saw the connecting flight seat assignment was changed again to middle, so I had to call 1K desk to change the seat (since I couldn't make the change in the app). The worst part was itinerary showed window seat, but seat map showed window open and middle occupied, and boarding pass showed middle seat. So just checking itinerary isn't sufficient.

This is a real pain in the a**. It appears that the day before flight, 24-48 hrs is a critical window that seat assignment may be changed.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 4:37 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by CIT85
This is a must these days. My wife's seat assignment got changed last night from window to middle next to my aisle for tomorrow's 2 flights. I changed them back to window before checking in. This afternoon, I saw the connecting flight seat assignment was changed again to middle, so I had to call 1K desk to change the seat (since I couldn't make the change in the app). The worst part was itinerary showed window seat, but seat map showed window open and middle occupied, and boarding pass showed middle seat. So just checking itinerary isn't sufficient.

This is a real pain in the a**. It appears that the day before flight, 24-48 hrs is a critical window that seat assignment may be changed.
The airline is trying to tell you folks something....
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilanesp
The airline is trying to tell you folks something....
that I should move my business to Southwest, where there are no seat assignments but I can guarantee my seat choices by paying a small fee?
SPN Lifer, zeus2120 and VRFast like this.
Old May 1, 2021, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 weeks after my last post, I get a "change notice". The only change was the flight number. But sure enough, I have been moved from an aisle to a middle seat. (Sigh) This is getting tedious.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
When are basic economy seats allocated? My partner and I reserved a window and an asile towards the back of economy. No one has taken the middle yet. There are maybe 4-5 other middles in economy, a handful of preferred window seats, and a bunch of E+. Are we likely to have a seat mate?

also, do I have to worry about UA switching us to a middle and an aisle at T-24? That’s happened whenever our reservation was changed and I personally prefer window to aisle.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Originally Posted by andy_dangg
When are basic economy seats allocated? My partner and I reserved a window and an asile towards the back of economy. No one has taken the middle yet. There are maybe 4-5 other middles in economy, a handful of preferred window seats, and a bunch of E+. Are we likely to have a seat mate?

also, do I have to worry about UA switching us to a middle and an aisle at T-24? That’s happened whenever our reservation was changed and I personally prefer window to aisle.
2nd answer first: yes, UA might give your partner a middle seat next to your aisle seat and put a BE pax in window. That has happened to me several times. I, 1K, reserve aisle, my wife, Gold, reserves window weeks in advance. At T-1 UA moves my wife to middle and gives window to BE, non-elite Y, or non-rev.

1st answer second: IME UA assigns BE at T-48 but, you have to remember, UA keeps selling BE up to time of departure. When you look at fare class availabilty, it usually states N9 even when there are no other Y fares available.

These are reasons my wife and I now only reserve aisle across aisle, usually exit row.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 11:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Guate87
2nd answer first: yes, UA might give your partner a middle seat next to your aisle seat and put a BE pax in window. That has happened to me several times. I, 1K, reserve aisle, my wife, Gold, reserves window weeks in advance. At T-1 UA moves my wife to middle and gives window to BE, non-elite Y, or non-rev.

1st answer second: IME UA assigns BE at T-48 but, you have to remember, UA keeps selling BE up to time of departure. When you look at fare class availabilty, it usually states N9 even when there are no other Y fares available.

These are reasons my wife and I now only reserve aisle across aisle, usually exit row.
Thanks for the info! So it seems if I really want that window, I should just move us to the window and middle? This is a flight to MCO so I’m expecting it to be pretty full with families so I’m not very hopeful for a less busy flight.
Old May 5, 2021, 11:24 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
This is a flight to MCO so I’m expecting it to be pretty full with families so I’m not very hopeful for a less busy flight.
This
Old May 5, 2021, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Thanks for the info! So it seems if I really want that window, I should just move us to the window and middle? This is a flight to MCO so I’m expecting it to be pretty full with families so I’m not very hopeful for a less busy flight.
Though I only fly to MCO once a month, all of my flights have been packed, whether it is from LAX, IAH, ORD or EWR.

Numerous friends and family of airline employees will be on standby for MCO, grabbing any remaining seats available, during boarding.

One idea: upgrade to F, where there are no middle seats. To save money/miles, only upgrade your flight segment to MCO, leaving all other segments in E+.
I did this for my upcoming LAX-MCO, knowing that even my 1K status will probably not get me a CPU to MCO.

Last edited by Guate87; May 5, 2021 at 12:31 pm
Old May 5, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Data point from 2 weeks ago. Party of 2 travelled ORF-DEN-SFO // SFO-IAD-ORF.
All except SFO-IAD were 3x3 seating. Reserved aisle/window on other 3 flights.
Outbound no issues at all, seats unchanged and middle stayed empty. 3 days before the return, IAD-ORF moved to middle/window. No change to flight number/times/etc. that I recall.
I changed it back to aisle/window. No further issues, ended up being upgraded about 12 hours out so issue became moot.
Old May 5, 2021, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Data point from 2 weeks ago. Party of 2 travelled ORF-DEN-SFO // SFO-IAD-ORF.
All except SFO-IAD were 3x3 seating. Reserved aisle/window on other 3 flights.
Outbound no issues at all, seats unchanged and middle stayed empty. 3 days before the return, IAD-ORF moved to middle/window. No change to flight number/times/etc. that I recall.
I changed it back to aisle/window. No further issues, ended up being upgraded about 12 hours out so issue became moot.
This begs the questions: Who at UA makes involuntary seat changes? Is it someone at the departure airport? Is is someone at headquarters? Is there a specific department that involuntarily moves people away from their chosen seat? What is the timeframe for these changes?

I do not imagine it is Flight Recovery. They are wonderful and respectful of pax choices.

Before my wife and I moved to booking aisle/aisle or J/B, we would show our original email and screenshot of our boarding passes to prove we had chosen aisle/window. The response of the GA was always "If you didn't change yourself, I don't know who did." Unless the GA were lying, who forces involutary seat changes?
Old May 5, 2021, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Guate87
This begs the questions: Who at UA makes involuntary seat changes? Is it someone at the departure airport? Is is someone at headquarters? Is there a specific department that involuntarily moves people away from their chosen seat? What is the timeframe for these changes?

I do not imagine it is Flight Recovery. They are wonderful and respectful of pax choices.

Before my wife and I moved to booking aisle/aisle or J/B, we would show our original email and screenshot of our boarding passes to prove we had chosen aisle/window. The response of the GA was always "If you didn't change yourself, I don't know who did." Unless the GA were lying, who forces involutary seat changes?
I really can't imagine UA paying someone to do that; I think it's some sort of automated process, the parameters of which we just don't fully know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.